Who Has Had Success With Hills Z/d

Hi all

After having my 2yr old GSD back at the vets yesterday with ear & skin issues (same problem in March/April), she has suggested either Zyrtec or a trial on z/d. I am happy to do the food trial over the Zyrtec but was just after anyone's experiences with this.

Thanks

We have never been prescribed it for skin issues, but it is rather pricey and didn't do well for our dogs. Im afraid I can't comment about the skin issues however!

Edited by nyssel

My 7 year old black Labrador I adopted just over a year ago is on Hills Prescription Z/D due to his allergies (skin and ear issues). My regular vet advised to try him on it first before we went down the Vet Dermatologist track. I reluctantly put him on it (I hate the Hills range of food :D ), along with fresh Kangaroo meat and Turkey. It took a good 3-4 weeks before it made a difference, but it did make a difference and he was scratching a lot less, but his coat was lack lustre and he still had ear issues which needed to be sorted out, so I did take him to Linda Vogelnest, the Vet Dermatolgist at SASH. After intensive daily ear treatment prescribed by Linda, his ears finally cleared up :thumbsup: and I kept him on the Z/D for the kibble component of his diet. As per Linda's recommendation, I had to throw in all sorts of other food to start with and then put him on an elimination diet to find out what worked best for him. In addition, Linda recommended Evening Primrose Oil Capsules and what a difference these made to his coat which is now nice glossy healthy looking and I also put my other Lab on these capsules as well and it has made a big difference to his coat as well.

Interestingly enough, what worked best for him was the original diet I tried first of Hills Prescription Z/D, fresh Kangaroo meat and Turkey and I sometimes throw in chicken frames and chicken wings without any adverse reactions. Linda did advise to continue to try the Zyrtec which I did have him on originally as per advice from his vet, but they didn't seem to help much. He and my other Lab boy are still on the Primrose Oil Capsules (1 per 10kg of body weight) and their coats are still in great condition. My allergy boy's ears are still clean with no issues whatsoever as I check both boys ears very regularly.

I have at times been thinking about trying Nutro again with my allergy boy for the kibble component which is what I feed my other boy for his kibble component with no issues, but am worried that his skin/itchiness ear issues may come back and undo all the good work that has been done over the last 9months. I may try another sensitive skin/allergy issue kibble at some in the future and see how he goes with that and am also considering put him on 100% raw as he is already now on probably 70-75% raw anyway.

As much as I hate Hills range of food and it is expensive I did have success with my boy on it but you need to give it time to work, at least 3-4 weeks. If you do put your dog on it and it doesn't work, I would probably recommend you get an appointment with Linda Vogelnest at SASH, she is fantastic, extremely knowledgeable and a very kind and lovely lady.

Goodluck with your GSD and wish you all the best in getting the ear and skin issues sorted, I know only too well how problematic this can be for a dog, it is awful to see them scratching and being so uncomfortable, particularly their ears.

If you have skin issues ask for a referral to a Dermatologist, this is really the only logical next step that will prevent you from wasting money on diets full of fillers and low quality ingredients tauted to make dogs better with no consideration to their health and well-being 5-10 years down the track.

Edited by sas

Guest crazydoglady99

Definitely not. Nothing but problems.

I would suggest trying augustine approved recipes & supplements.

I used z/d for one of my cats - not as a permanent solution but as a means of testing various proteins. She was on it exclusively for several months and then we would add one novel food item for at least a month (chicken necks, chicken chunks, beef chunks, her usual dry food and various flavours of her usual wet food). It was a long process but really well worth it. It turns out she could have chicken and fish but not turkey or beef. We left the testing there as I was just happy that she could eat necks again.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

It's the main component of my dogs diet now ... he does very well on it.

It allowed me to work out what he's allergic too (beef and pork) but he's remained on it as he thrives on it and I haven't found another food I really like that doesn't include pork fat or beef. It's only since switching to the z/d that I've actually been able to get condition onto him and he doesn't suffer vomiting or diarrhea.

I would suggest seeking a dermatologists advice - they actually prefer to do their own elimination diets that aren't commercial. I already did that route and my dog developed food allergies later on! The cost of home making the allergy diet they wanted me to feed was a lot higher than z/d.

Thank you for the comments. As far as I can figure to see a dermatologist I need to go to Sydney or Brisbane & at this point in time that is not happening. The vet I am currently seeing did study dermatology as an elective and at this point in time that is the best I can do. She has suggested evening primrose over fish oil so I am going to change over. I started the z/d yesterday for 12 weeks to see how we go.

Wheat and chicken seem to be very common causes of allergies in GSDs.

Yep, wheat and chicken are common causes of allergies in a lot of dogs. Wheat, especially when sourced cheaply, can also contain mites that are often the real source of allergy.

I just said this on another post, but I always find Canidae foods work well for dogs with allergies and skin issues. I feel like a Canidae rep today.

We were back to the vets for a check up yesterday. After 8 days on the z/d he has lost 1.2kgs. He has been on 5 cups a day plus 1/3 of a tin. Vet has said give him an extra cup of bics a day & 1/8 cup of oil with each meal. I am increasing the bics but I don't think I will give the oil. I will do this for a week then take him back to be weighed & see how we go. I am worried about the weight loss. Also after 2wks of tabs & ear drops his ears are not 100% apparently so another week of drops.

Thanks Dave-o, I will look into Canidae.

Oh, and I forgot to say... I'm not a fan of any Hills product...

Products that don't contribute to the health and longevity of our dogs don't deserve to be fed to our dogs. I'm increasingly frustrated by trusted professionals asking clients to feed these lines.

Wheat and chicken seem to be very common causes of allergies in GSDs.

Yep, wheat and chicken are common causes of allergies in a lot of dogs. Wheat, especially when sourced cheaply, can also contain mites that are often the real source of allergy.

I just said this on another post, but I always find Canidae foods work well for dogs with allergies and skin issues. I feel like a Canidae rep today.

Me too. Big fan here of Canidae All Life Stages and recommend it a fair bit (I have no relationship with any food company).

Big fan of the Canidae grain free here. Ernie has been fed nothing else and no skin issues or nasties.

ETA: he does get chicken necks and whatever the girls can slip him from their dinners when I'm not looking. So far, he hates cauliflower. :D

Edited by Stressmagnet

Products that don't contribute to the health and longevity of our dogs don't deserve to be fed to our dogs. I'm increasingly frustrated by trusted professionals asking clients to feed these lines.

Well said :)

I'm currently doing my own research for a client on the Hills J/D canine mobility, and all I can say is 'are they for real!' And the fact that vets endorse it and 'prescribe' it is even worse. The main ingredient is corn and a bunch of non essential additives like taurine... Dogs don't need taurine because they synthesise these naturally... I appreciate that every dog is different and if people get the outcome sought after then so be it, but there is not much that is good for dogs in it... I did come across a brand based in WA 'Natural Balance' Delicate Care for Sensitive Skin or Stonach... If there was any 'prescribed' food I'd be trying... This would be the one.

Link www.naturalbalance.net.au

I'm currently doing my own research for a client on the Hills J/D canine mobility, and all I can say is 'are they for real!' And the fact that vets endorse it and 'prescribe' it is even worse. The main ingredient is corn and a bunch of non essential additives like taurine... Dogs don't need taurine because they synthesise these naturally... I appreciate that every dog is different and if people get the outcome sought after then so be it, but there is not much that is good for dogs in it... I did come across a brand based in WA 'Natural Balance' Delicate Care for Sensitive Skin or Stonach... If there was any 'prescribed' food I'd be trying... This would be the one.

Link www.naturalbalance.net.au

Really? A product whose first ingredient is Whole Sorghum isn't one I would be feeding to any dog.

It seems strange for someone to post awareness about poor quality ingredients then recommend a food more grain than meat, with CGM, tallows, digest, and so forth...

Edited by Dave-o