Do Male (Desexed) Dogs Stink Up Your Yard?

Isabel964

I have had female dogs for a long time. Is it true that male dogs stink up your yard and deck by lifting their leg and peeing on everything?

Or is that a fallacy?

I currently have two girls and there are no pee smell issue at all.

I did have a friend many years ago that had a male dog and her yard stank, even her pergola - of dog pee.

Gus is a squatter, and no smell at all! Rosie the girl is the leg cocker...

Desexed dogs smell different to entire ones too.

Mine are the same!

Sid sqauts, Lola cocks.

I can't say that one smells any more than the other.

Haha, so just wait until a dog pees - if it s squatter, its a go :) .... male or female LOL

Haha, I don't find either smell particularly to be honest. Undesexed males can pong, but not all do. A good hose off every day should do it!

All my boys have been squatters. Entire or not the only time I have noticed a strongish odour is if we have been travelling and the dogs have had to hold on a bit longer then normal.

ps the only one who pees on my back verandah is the old bitch! and she has done it all her life

Edited by Rebanne

I have an entire male that lifts his leg to pees and will even mark a particular spot in the yard and there is still no smell coming from it.

My last dog was an desexed male, no issues there either.

The only times I've noticed urine smell from a dog is if it was on cement and built up over time, or there was something wrong. I dog sat a desexed bitch for a few days a few years ago and noticed straight away she was a bit pongy when she urinated. She had UTI.

Edited by LisaCC

Stan's mostly a squatter, desexed male and no smell. UNLESS it's raining in which case he will hold on for 12 hours and then wee the thickest yellow stream that you could cut with a knife straight onto one of his front legs :o It's amazing it doesn't burn the fur off O.o

My male is now 12.5 and has been desexed for about 5 years now. No difference in the smell which is mostly non at all. Every now and again he does seem to miss his target and pee on his front leg instead and that gets a bit smelly but is easy to fix.

As for him weeing on everything, that does not happen and never has even when there were entire females in the yard as well. That IMO is training.

My little desexed mixed breed guy is about 3 now and always kind of stretched himself out and peed like that. He has very short legs and a long body like a corgi, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. It has only been in the last 12 months that he learned to lift his leg, and it's more lifting it out of the way than peeing ON something.

Can't say that I notice any smell.

Once he was toilet trained he never peed in the house, and he has never lifted his leg on anything in the house ever. I was surprised at how clean he is really.

They can smell a bit if they pee in the same place all the time, but it's about training - ours aren't allowed to cock their leg on the porch or close to the house, so they don't. If you can't be arsed toilet training your dog (male or female) don't get one!