Cowra Rescuers..is This True Or A Beat-Up?

Maybe some DOLers will be able to enlighten me on whether this is true.

This arrived in my inbox via a petition site.

I have deleted any links to the petition as well as the photo so I suggest you do your own searching if you want to explore it further.

The body of the email is:

In recent years a spotlight has been shone on the unethical and inhumane treatment of small animals in Australian breeding and impoundment facilities, and several groups have lobbied Government to implement successful change, including the continued fight to eradicate puppy mills, and the reduction of inhumane treatment and euthanasia in council holding facilities. We are heading in the right direction, but unfortunately there are still facilities whom "drag the chain" so to speak.

One such facility that has borne witness to a horrific sight this week is the Cowra Council Pound adjacent to the refuse and recycle centre at Cowra. On Wednesday 27th May 2015, two people attended the Cowra Council Holding facility and witnessed a dead Kelpie Dog laying within a pool of its own blood and soaking wet, held within the same holding pen as an underweight fawn dog. Other dogs were held within their own confines and had no bedding, excrement adjacent to empty food bowls, and small bowls with little water held. There were also empty dog food cans contained within the cages, indicating the food was served directly out of the cans.

I have started this petition to make Cowra Council accountable for the treatment of the animals impounded within, past present and future, and my hope is to secure support for positive change.

I want the supply of adequate off concrete bedding, regular cleaning, appropriate watering and feeding facilities and the abolition of in can feeding, the review of employee animals on site, as well as the security of pens at the facility. A huge thank you to Mandy Hartles whom has uncovered these findings,

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading the articles about it last night, apparently it's circulating everywhere. News is online, I can't find the local news film clip though.

Things would be a lot easier to understand without people going off their heads on FB. How do you know what the truth is!?

One article (no dead kelpie photos)

http://www.cowraguardian.com.au/story/3110593/council-says-kelpie-killer-has-history-of-violence/?cs=591#slide=2

one more; calling for calm

http://www.cowraguardian.com.au/story/3110592/outrage-over-pound-visit-sparks-social-media-campaign/?cs=593#slide=2

Edited by Powerlegs

My sister lives in that area and was actually a councillor for a short period because there are some very long term issues with that council and how they spend public monies. So I do have some inside stories. I have also heard many third hand stories about the ranger from that council not being a very nice man. He has been in the job quite a while. BUT, a couple of years ago when my sister and her husband lost their farm he was there with the marshalls and seized all their working and house yard dogs. The dogs had been hidden in some remote, unused sheds on the property and the plan was that friends would go back and get them that night, but that was not to be. My sister and her husband were homeless for a bit so I was in contact with authorities trying to help out from up here. The RSPCA actually threatened to charge them with neglect about the goats and sheep that couldn't be moved (they were due to kid/lamb) but that ranger was great. He stayed in contact with me, he cared for four or five dogs without charging and he did so for several weeks until my sister and her hubby were able to make other arrangements for them (thanks to Andrea for taking on the maremmas!). If they were neglected then I know my sister would've mentioned something to me about the condition when she retrieved them so I have to assume they were fine. Remember, I am talking working dogs and not indoor fluffies.

So while I believe there have been other concerns for how this ranger goes about his business and how the impounds are cared for I also know he is capable of concern for animals and owners in genuine need. Given the other issues with this council I wonder what instruction or funding he is given to do all the jobs allocated to his position for such a large geographic area. So I have signed the petition on the basis that it is going to council and not the ranger and council is responsible for adequately funding and running the pound facility (not the ranger). If the petition results in an investigation and the facility is found lacking then it needs to be rectified by council.

Tapua is also from that area and may come in and comment on her experiences.

I'd like to also add that while the Cowra Guardian does print articles and letters about rate payers issues with that council and the councillors (most are long standing) it also has an inside source and has been caught out printing internal gossip only known to council members. I'm not confident they are that unbiased when it suits them.

Edited by Little Gifts

I read another article on this, which stated that the dead Kelpie was the Ranger's own dog, and it had been horrifically killed by an impounded dog that broken out of its enclosure. The impounded dog was stated to be so aggressive to humans and dogs that it could only be moved in and out of its enclosure with a catching pole. Sounds horrible, not least for the ranger himself

Edited by Diva

I read another article on this, which stated that the dead Kelpie was the Ranger's own dog, and it had been horrifically killed by an impounded dog that broken out of its enclosure. The impounded dog was stated to be so aggressive to humans and dogs that it could only be moved in and out of its enclosure with a catching pole. Sounds horrible, not least for the ranger himself

And that would make sense why a recently deceased dog is lying wet with blood pooling under it where people can see it. They may have tried to hose them apart without success. One story also said the dog that did the killing was still loose on the premises when the dead dog was photographed. It also matches in with why tinned food would be on the floor and the cage had faeces in it - not easy to work with a dog if it was that aggressive. So I feel sorry for the ranger because that does sound like a true story to me and not a normal occurrence. But I've heard other things about the ranger services and how the facility operates and I think there are some funding issues that need to be addressed. Nothing will change unless that council is pushed publicly to address it.

General warning.

Just in case you find distressing images really hard to forget... if you see a photo that looks a bit like an old dark wet towel tossed on the walkway DO NOT CLICK :cry::cry:

RIP little kelpie :rainbowbridge:

Edited by Powerlegs

I just had a very interesting phone conversation with my sister. This ranger is on about $150,000 a year. His job includes issuing parking fines, acting as a security guard at council evening meetings and being a council rep in court for local matters. This is on top of being a ranger for a fairly large geographical area. He attended their eviction from the farm with several marshals. After they had been forced off their farm he located and removed the working dogs on the basis that they had been evicted and had 'abandoned' them. This would've all occurred within a matter of hours, not days or weeks. The animals were not listed on the eviction order and my sister and her husband were able to seek approval to return to the property post eviction and could have retrieved them (as could other people) so technically they weren't abandoned. Still, I think he helped them out and gave them their only option at a very difficult time so I remain grateful for that.

Apparently the two maremma had lost weight and were filthy when they picked them up about a month after he had removed them from the farm. The pen they were in at the time of pick up was only just large enough for both of them and one of the dogs ran off to roll in the grass and just be in the open at the first opportunity so they were worried they had been caged for all the weeks he was caring for them. They had to sign a document saying they were returned in acceptable condition and given everything else going on they did. He advised them he could rehome one of the dogs - a young purebred kelpie hubby had trained to work on the farm and they let him do so, again because of their circumstances. He led them to believe it would be going to another farm. Wouldn't it be a kicker if he had kept this dog for himself and it was the deceased one in the photo? That would make me really mad, taking advantage of them like that.

My sister is going to ask hubby when he gets home what colour the dog was and what markings it had as she can no longer remember.

And I've now seen two different petitions with two different pics of the deceased dog. One is a close up of the dead dog. In the other you can see the supposed aggressive dog being touched/held on the face by someone on the other side of a fence run and it is not wet like the dead dog shielded behind it. It seems really weird as it looks quite calm, the tail is down between its legs and there is no blood on it. It doesn't really look much like a bull mastiff to me either - maybe another dog was loose (even though all the pen doors look closed)? Maybe they hosed the injured dog to check which wounds were bleeding the worst before realising it had passed?

I'm feeling all suspicious now.

Edited by Little Gifts

I've worked at shelters, one thing guaranteed to rile dogs up is when you let a dog loose running up and down outside the kennels. It's not good for the dog outside or the dogs inside, it's stressful.

The kelpie was apparently left there like that regularly. The open cans are a real worry, it really looks like a facility that isn't being managed at all properly.

If you have a dangerous dog then it should be padlocked or otherwise very safely secured into it's pen.

Don't leave loose dogs running around, put them in a pen - why you'd want to leave your own dog there I don't know. If it was supposed to be as a guard dog then this pound really needs to change it's facility to something far more secure, building-wise with an alarm etc etc.

Spending money on good quality animal care is obviously very low on their agenda. it would be freezing in there and pretty miserable for those impounded.

Yep, that lady makes animal activists just look like psychos! At least a review is happening and perhaps they might include consideration of the ranger's duties so he splits his time between doing call outs and managing the pound rather than the other odd jobs he does for council. I'm not sure giving out parking fines should be a bigger priority than ensuring the animals have food, water and clean and weather suitable housing. Especially given most councils (including this one) charge people for the number of days a dog is impounded. You would assume this is to cover cleaning and food.

No one believes the story about the dead kelpie. As for the pound, it is an absolute disgrace! Small concrete pens, no bedding, no litter trays for cats, faeces everywhere, dogs/cats left in drop off pens for a couple of days before being put in kennels. The council really needs to employ at least 1 more ranger as it is ridiculous expecting one person to do it all. Having said that I must add that the ranger is probably the most hated man in town but as I've had no dealings with him myself I won't repeat the horror stories I have heard. Many people have volunteered to help at the pound (myself included) but council won't allow it for insurance reasons. They will also not accept bedding for the animals so they are left to freeze. There is a lot of anger about the situation at the moment so we're hoping changes will be made and soon! It does seem strange that long-term residents have never seen the old kelpie with the ranger and as for it being hosed down during the alleged fight, why wasn't the body removed if someone was in attendance, why wasn't the other dog wet? There was no one there when visitors discovered the dead dog and the "dangerous" emaciated dog was lying there shivering in the cold until it came over to the fence to be patted. :mad

How did the kelpie get in there? It's most certainly dead, mauled. At a guess it was likely wet because it was in a puddle of freezing water that gathers when cold concrete areas (that don't slope properly) are hosed out. The construction and conditions do need to be changed and if it's that miserable there I don't expect you'll get an answer about the poor kelpie.

But the large dog, it is not bloodied as far as I can see.

& Dog aggression and prey drive (cat killing etc) is VERY different to human aggression. The dog approaching someone for a pat doesn't say much and isn't a strong argument.

BTW councils are absolutely able to set up a small induction meeting & agreement for potential volunteers. The insurance liability issues are correct except it only takes a bit of time and effort on their part to do what many other pounds have done to mitigate risk.

Edited by Powerlegs

I've just had an interesting first hand experience (or not) with the ranger. Called Friday to advise of an animal found, left details and as of COB today have not heard back. Owner of lost animal also rang and left message, didn't hear back .

Fortunately via other means we've located each other in the mean time. Said animal could have been reunited to owner 3 or 4 days ago if phones were answered or messages checked and returned.

Apparently the water was not from a hose but from a leaking tap which causes water to run down the walkway and into some of the kennels. Latest report on the dangerous dog is that it had killed one, or maybe more, cats. Had been in the pound for 90 days.

It is my understanding that Cowra locals claim that dogs held in this pound are often left unattended for two to three days at a time. No bedding is provided summer or winter. Feeding consists of tossing opened cans of CHUM into each pen. All volunteer offers have been knocked back by council.

I have seen the original facebook post and pictures. They show a dead kelpie (black and tan) with what appear to be deep facial cuts lying in a pool of blood in the concrete accessway to the pens. Also in the access way is an opened can (appearing empty) of Chum with jagged lid still semi-attached. There are several noticeable smears of blood on the concrete adjacent to the can.

Also in the access way is the accused mixed breed dog resting on the concrete. There is no sign of blood on his muzzle or anywhere else. There is no sign that he had been recently wet. He is shown going the fence to be petted. (It does not say much for the ranger's dog handling skills that this apparently people friendly dog had to be catch poled in and out of the pens.) There is no hint in the series of pictures of an opened pen gate or empty pen. Impounded dogs are a rather sorry looking lot. :(

Within a few hours of the facebook post showing the pictures, council released a statement saying that the kelpie had been fatally savaged by the accused dog, which had escaped from its pen into the accessway. No reason for the ranger's dog being left in the access way was given. Council stated that RSPCA was investigating.

An alternative theory has been proposed (not by council LOL) that the kelpie had cut himself badly by thrusting his muzzle into the opened can and bled to death.

I'm not sure that the exact truth can ever be known, but I am glad that this tragedy has brought substandard pound practices into the spotlight and I sincerely hope that the investigation leads to improved practices and possibly, more accountability for council pounds.

And the latest is the RSPCA NSW have completed their investigation, finding "no significant faults" and the dogs were appropriately housed. The final paragraph of the newspaper article reads:

Council declined to answer questions on who was looking after the pound in Mr Ryan's absence, how often the area was cleaned, why cans of food were in the cages and how the dog got out.

Full article (Cowra Guardian) here.

ETA link. embarrass.gif

Edited by RuralPug

It is my understanding that Cowra locals claim that dogs held in this pound are often left unattended for two to three days at a time. No bedding is provided summer or winter. Feeding consists of tossing opened cans of CHUM into each pen. All volunteer offers have been knocked back by council.

I have seen the original facebook post and pictures. They show a dead kelpie (black and tan) with what appear to be deep facial cuts lying in a pool of blood in the concrete accessway to the pens. Also in the access way is an opened can (appearing empty) of Chum with jagged lid still semi-attached. There are several noticeable smears of blood on the concrete adjacent to the can.

Also in the access way is the accused mixed breed dog resting on the concrete. There is no sign of blood on his muzzle or anywhere else. There is no sign that he had been recently wet. He is shown going the fence to be petted. (It does not say much for the ranger's dog handling skills that this apparently people friendly dog had to be catch poled in and out of the pens.) There is no hint in the series of pictures of an opened pen gate or empty pen. Impounded dogs are a rather sorry looking lot. :(

Within a few hours of the facebook post showing the pictures, council released a statement saying that the kelpie had been fatally savaged by the accused dog, which had escaped from its pen into the accessway. No reason for the ranger's dog being left in the access way was given. Council stated that RSPCA was investigating.

An alternative theory has been proposed (not by council LOL) that the kelpie had cut himself badly by thrusting his muzzle into the opened can and bled to death.

I'm not sure that the exact truth can ever be known, but I am glad that this tragedy has brought substandard pound practices into the spotlight and I sincerely hope that the investigation leads to improved practices and possibly, more accountability for council pounds.

That sounds pretty implausible. Death by nose scratches?

Internal injuries from a fight or attack aren't usually externally obvious and a lack of remaining blood on the other dog means nothing. Dogs lick themselves.

While I'd agree that there needs to be changes in how that pound is managed, the cause of the kelpie's death given by the council seems the most plausible to me.

I have heard plenty of locals say that they are sick to death of the conspiracy theories and the constant attacks on Council and the Ranger by some that have it in for both.

Who would blame council for shutting down volunteer access to the pound when they have caused trouble and issues for council and the ranger.

Cowra appears to be another case of the rescue and save'em'all brigade at their very finest. None of their actions so far have resulted an any improvement (if required) for the dogs. The exact opposite in fact and the dogs lose out on walks and attention because of their actions.

Whilst I am disappointed in not receiving a call back from the ranger or a council rep, I have been informed by the other party that they get along well with the ranger and the lack of a return call to them has been the only issue they'd had.

My concern has been sent to Council, it's factual and not emotive and I suggest that anyone with genuine complaints and grievance based on first hand experience do the same.

Maddy and Wreckit :( I think you are both right. Plausible death, and a whole lot of conspiracy theories. Currently, it doesn't matter who is right because council will ban rescue from the premises.