Cartrophen Scare

I have a beautiful pure-bred male English Pointer. He's a solid 39kg and has just turned 10. A year ago he seemed to be tightening up in his movements; the vet suggested arthritis. He also suggested Cartrophen Vet treatment by injection, once a week for four weeks, then monthly. There was an immediate, wonderful improvement, and he has been great. Until his 10th monthly injection (May 2015). About 15 minutes after the injection, at home, he collapsed, seemed to be in a stupor, and his breathing was almost imperceptable. Before I could get help, he recovered in 15 minutes, and was quickly normal. Off to the vet, who said there was any number of reasons for this happening, and to try again next month. That was today. I gave him his injection. He was fine and chipper for about 15 minutes, then suddenly stopped dead in his tracks, and fell over when he tried to walk. Exactly as before, barely breathing, in a stupor. Expecting a quick recovery, I kept him warm and talked to him. But after 20 minutes of dread and no change I started CPR and massage. I don't think it helped. At 30 minutes I said a little prayer to the doggie gods, and suddenly he perked up and lay more upright, supporting himself. His breathing slowly improved, as did his awareness. He stood gingerly at 50 minutes, walked unsteadily to his nearby bed and lay there for an hour. At 1hr 30min he showed a passing interest in food, slowly taking a treat. At 2 hours he was back up, but a bit shaken.

Now I feel guilty for believing my vet of ten years knew all there was to know about Cartrophen. I know now that he should have recognised these symptoms.

Today I did what I should have done a year ago, and searched for contradictions. I was shocked to find plenty of a serious kind.

That's what I suggest everyone should do before risking catastrophe for their beloved pet.

Must have been very scary for you and your dog and so glad he recovered. I have had a couple of my senior Labs on Cartrophen without any issues whatsoever and it helped them greatly. However, their frequency differed greatly from your boy's as after the initial once a week for 4 weeks, they were given it either once every 12 months or 6 months depending on how they were going. Once a month for a 10 year old dog just starting to show signs of arthritis seems IMHO excessive.

No doubt this reaction would scare you off Cartrophen, so what about supplements like Jointguard and Rosehip Vital (Canine) to help your boy with his arthritis. I put my 7 year old Lab is on both of these when he ruptured his cruciate ligament and had TPLO surgery and he also damaged his meniscus so he will be more susceptible to arthritis.

Any medication can have side effects. And you can also get weird random reactions. Cartrophen has made a huge improvement to the lives of many animals and I wouldn't panic if you are thinking of using it. However it is always a good idea to ask your vet about possible side effects.

My old dog has had two courses of cartrophen - once a week for four weeks - with no ill effects. I can't really say they helped him much though. After reading about the OP's experience I will be wary if it is suggested again. Thank you for sharing.

Also, for anyone wondering they have recently changed the Cartrophen regime, hence the monthly injections. Having said that, I was under the impression the increased frequency was for severe cases.

[i am glad your dog is ok Kipster! Thats very scary.

quote name=sarsaparilla' timestamp='1433112588' post='6698701]

My old dog has had two courses of cartrophen - once a week for four weeks - with no ill effects. I can't really say they helped him much though. After reading about the OP's experience I will be wary if it is suggested again. Thank you for sharing.

Henry was the same. Two courses and I have noticed no improvement with either, so instead of trying again as the vet suggested I bought a Henry hottie bed and started him on turmeric and have seen an improvement with that :)

I will also be using a back in track coat through winter when he sleeps to see if that helps. .

Edited by denali

What a worry for us all! Do you give the injections at home? We have only ever had a course of a few injections, not 10 or 12?

Thanks. Yes, since the vet gave him his first five or six injections, I have given the rest at home, under the skin on the shoulder, with no problems, and a dog keen to cooperate, knowing there was a nice treat at the end of it. I'm sure he never even felt it.

He tolerated the Cartrophen 100pc for a year, and it worked wonders. He was untroubled by arthritis, and ran freely. Then it was as though he'd suddenly developed an intolerance. Maybe it builds up. And maybe he should have been on fewer treatments. We'll never know, as he'll never have another one!

Must have been very scary for you and your dog and so glad he recovered. I have had a couple of my senior Labs on Cartrophen without any issues whatsoever and it helped them greatly. However, their frequency differed greatly from your boy's as after the initial once a week for 4 weeks, they were given it either once every 12 months or 6 months depending on how they were going. Once a month for a 10 year old dog just starting to show signs of arthritis seems IMHO excessive.

No doubt this reaction would scare you off Cartrophen, so what about supplements like Jointguard and Rosehip Vital (Canine) to help your boy with his arthritis. I put my 7 year old Lab is on both of these when he ruptured his cruciate ligament and had TPLO surgery and he also damaged his meniscus so he will be more susceptible to arthritis.

Thanks for your thoughts, Labadore. I will take your kind suggestions on board.

There could also be something wrong with your cartrophen.

Not impossible, but . . . My vial of Cartrophen has been kept refrigerated. The first time this happened, it was the last dose in the bottle, and I wondered if it could have gone off. But this last dose was the first from a new bottle. And each dose has been administered with a new, sterile syringe.

[i am glad your dog is ok Kipster! Thats very scary.

quote name=sarsaparilla' timestamp='1433112588' post='6698701]

Thanks Denali. All the best for your lovely dogs.

My dog gets it all the time she has been on monthly to three monthly for a few years now. A previous dog and cat were on it monthly for years with no issue.

In your boys case he obvious now has an anaphylactic response so yep, no more. I also give mine rosehip vital with a lot of success

Edited by OSoSwift

It's true they can develop a sensitivity too it and I have only seen it in a couple of dogs. It is a fairly safe drug in that the risk of side effects is less the 1% and usually the side effects you see are lethargy or vomiting after the injection. I think the benefits are great as it helps so many dogs with arthritis and delays the use of medications which have much greater side effects. The important thing is to always monitor after giving any medication so you can act quickly should there be a reaction.

I have a beautiful pure-bred male English Pointer. He's a solid 39kg and has just turned 10. A year ago he seemed to be tightening up in his movements; the vet suggested arthritis. He also suggested Cartrophen Vet treatment by injection, once a week for four weeks, then monthly. There was an immediate, wonderful improvement, and he has been great. Until his 10th monthly injection (May 2015). About 15 minutes after the injection, at home, he collapsed, seemed to be in a stupor, and his breathing was almost imperceptable. Before I could get help, he recovered in 15 minutes, and was quickly normal. Off to the vet, who said there was any number of reasons for this happening, and to try again next month. That was today. I gave him his injection. He was fine and chipper for about 15 minutes, then suddenly stopped dead in his tracks, and fell over when he tried to walk. Exactly as before, barely breathing, in a stupor. Expecting a quick recovery, I kept him warm and talked to him. But after 20 minutes of dread and no change I started CPR and massage. I don't think it helped. At 30 minutes I said a little prayer to the doggie gods, and suddenly he perked up and lay more upright, supporting himself. His breathing slowly improved, as did his awareness. He stood gingerly at 50 minutes, walked unsteadily to his nearby bed and lay there for an hour. At 1hr 30min he showed a passing interest in food, slowly taking a treat. At 2 hours he was back up, but a bit shaken.

Now I feel guilty for believing my vet of ten years knew all there was to know about Cartrophen. I know now that he should have recognised these symptoms.

Today I did what I should have done a year ago, and searched for contradictions. I was shocked to find plenty of a serious kind.

That's what I suggest everyone should do before risking catastrophe for their beloved pet.

Have a look at the Turmeric User Group on facebook. A lot of people seem to be getting great results with golden paste - a mixture of turmeric, coconut oil and black pepper.

I couldn't find the Turmeric User Group on FB

Can someone link it here please?

here is a link that asks the same question...it is then answered so you should be able to find it now

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?645627-Tumeric-users-Facebook-group

I saw this as well--> http://pawsandpedals.com.au/turmeric-dogs-why-you-should-feed-your-dog-turmeric/