Bad Fish Breath - Halitosis Warning

My beautiful Benny has recently been diagnosed with Oral Osteosarcoma (Bone Cancer)

I would like to warn others that the first sign that something was wrong with Benny was bad fish breath. After using Google vet, many threads mentioned something stuck in their mouth or a digestive problem. I can't remember it being mentioned that the cause may be an Oral tumor.

Benny had surgery 6 weeks ago to remove 2 teeth, the vet has told me that she did not see anything unusual at that time. Last week he went back to the vet, to possibly remove a bone fragment, instead they found an tumor approx 10cm x 7cm. It has been very aggressive to develop in that time.

Please do not take bad fish breath lightly, PLEASE SEE YOUR VET.

Benson has been given a couple of weeks, and I have decided palliative care as the best option for Benson. He has been such a fabulous friend to me for 13 years, he deserves to go with grace and dignity. I do not wish to diminish the quality of his remaining time. The best that I can do is to not cause Benny pain, enjoy spoiling him every day he has left, his own personal chef (me) lots of cuddles with family and friends, and, when Benny tells me he can’t do it anymore, or the pain is no longer manageable, we will then put him to sleep.

I can only pray that the heavens bless him with a quick and gentle passing.

So very sorry that you have such a nasty diagnosis for your lovely boy. The next few weeks will be very hard for you.

Thanks you for taking the time to post this alert.

Wishing strength and comfort for you and Benny.

So very sorry that you have such a nasty diagnosis for your lovely boy. The next few weeks will be very hard for you.

Thanks you for taking the time to post this alert.

Wishing strength and comfort for you and Benny.

Thank you so much for kindness Tassie.

I am beyond devastated, and I have not been great to be around, as my focus is on Benny.

He apart from his abscessed teeth, has just relocated from interstate back to Sydney with me. He left a dear furry friend behind, and has been with me at my elderly family's until I settled into a new home. Thought he was a bit depressed due to all the changes and his teeth flaring up.

The subtle signs were there, looking back, ah we all love hindsight.

Only dog I have ever had that I know would of laid down his life for me.

Benny was a rescue pup, and he has lived a very good life since, as my best mate.

It's going to be really hard, especially in the circumstances, but in time to come you'll be comforted by knowing that all he knows is your love and care, and that he has had a wonderful life with you that he wouldn't have had otherwise. It's so hard when we love them so much. Take care of yourself ... and know that DOL can be a very supportive community ... many of us have been where you are.

I'm so sorry to hear Benny has oral osteosarcoma. My Rottweiler Sophie, also had oral osteosarcoma in her mandible. The most important thing you can do for Benny is to make sure you have effective pain relief for him and love him for the time he has left.

This is such a difficult and very sad time for you. Take care of yourself.