Teaching 'call Front Finish Left'

So Didi and I are slowly clunking our way through the Rally O exercises and we have the call front - finish right down really well so I've decided to move onto the the finish left but... I don't really know how to go about it?

Does anyone know of a good video they could link me to explain it or break down the command?

When I watch videos of dogs doing it they all seem to spring back into place and face forward but Didi is big and awkward and has more of a 'slow and steady' approach to commands so I don't know if she can manage that sort of movement.

Thanks!

So Didi and I are slowly clunking our way through the Rally O exercises and we have the call front - finish right down really well so I've decided to move onto the the finish left but... I don't really know how to go about it?

Does anyone know of a good video they could link me to explain it or break down the command?

When I watch videos of dogs doing it they all seem to spring back into place and face forward but Didi is big and awkward and has more of a 'slow and steady' approach to commands so I don't know if she can manage that sort of movement.

Thanks!

How have you taught heel work? My dogs are always taught heelwork via a pivot or perch work - so they swing their butt around into heel - like this:

Because they are taught to 'find' heel this way - teaching a finish left is just an extension of this. so instead of having her find heel from my side, I would ask her from sitting in front of me to find heel. I find they catch on easily. I would toss food infront of me and then they come into heel - C&T.... clear as mud??

Thanks!

How have you taught heel work? My dogs are always taught heelwork via a pivot or perch work - so they swing their butt around into heel - like this:

Because they are taught to 'find' heel this way - teaching a finish left is just an extension of this. so instead of having her find heel from my side, I would ask her from sitting in front of me to find heel. I find they catch on easily. I would toss food infront of me and then they come into heel - C&T.... clear as mud??

Our heelwork started off a bit of a mess, mainly just luring and hoping for the best(I've never trained a dog before in case that wasn't clear laugh.gif) but I have since moved on to teaching her rear end awareness/pivoting like in the video. Her pivoting around me for turning while in heel position is really good but pivoting to find heel is not very good/she doesn't really understand how to do it without the target so I guess I should probably work on getting that up to scratch first!

But yes I understand how finish left would just be an extension of that rather than a separate command, thanks! I kind of blanked on the fact we've been doing pivot work and how that would be helpful embarrass.gif

I am training a flip finish to my puppy at the moment too. I was also going to suggest working on rear end awareness.

I actually train the flip with a lure as well as REA work, example in this vid;

I am training a flip finish to my puppy at the moment too. I was also going to suggest working on rear end awareness.

I actually train the flip with a lure as well as REA work, example in this vid;

Oh wow that little puppy destroyed my self-esteem laugh.gif

Thanks for the video Huski, I will get back onto the REA train, got a bit slack with it after we got our pivots while in heel position down that I forgot that she kind of needs to know how to pivot into it to begin with!

Another vote here for lots of pivot work. And then for nice straight fronts, and straight position at heel, I love using platforms (have a look for Michele Poulliot if you're not sure how they work.) Similar to the boxes that ness is talking about. You can make them by cutting up and duct taping something like yoga mats or those camping floor mats that are often on special. Make them high enough that the dog will know if they're not in position, because part of their body will be off the platform.

I'm impatient, so I tend to use luring probably more than I should to get the behaviour in the first place, but then fade the lure as soon as possible. If the dog is not straight, they'll be off the platform, so just a try again .. The principle is to train the dog's muscle memory for what the position should feel like.

I'd warm up with some pivot bowl/perch box work first each time.

Edited by Tassie

I don't use a perch/tub or any elevated platform for training heel pos and REA because the dog isn't elevated when they are actually doing the positions (such as a flip finish) so this can build the incorrect muscle memory. So we use a box that looks like its upside down, works the same but builds the right muscle memory :)

I can see what you're saying huski .. but with the control box/frame, you still have the frame. Just got to say the platform works fine for me .. mine are not high .. probably 4 camping mats high ... dogs don't seems to have any problem transitioning .. and when they're going from one position to the other, they are actually on the same level. Either way, you eventually fade the prop anyway.

I can see what you're saying huski .. but with the control box/frame, you still have the frame. Just got to say the platform works fine for me .. mine are not high .. probably 4 camping mats high ... dogs don't seems to have any problem transitioning .. and when they're going from one position to the other, they are actually on the same level. Either way, you eventually fade the prop anyway.

I think if you're a pretty good handler the dog gets it anyway. The sides of the box don't change the height of the dog though, so they do still learn the correct muscle memory for a turn and flip finish. It's probably a bit pedantic, but I've seen many dogs that lose accuracy on a flip finish and sort of finish a bit on an angle, most often it's been trained on a raised platform so it could probably have been avoided

That's why I use the second platform, so it's easier to maintain criteria for the straightness of the final position. Agree that it's easier to maintain the straight front, cos you can see it ... we have to work harder to maintain criteria at the side .. but it's part of maintaining correct heel position, isn't it.

That's why I use the second platform, so it's easier to maintain criteria for the straightness of the final position. Agree that it's easier to maintain the straight front, cos you can see it ... we have to work harder to maintain criteria at the side .. but it's part of maintaining correct heel position, isn't it.

I agree :) This is one thing I love about training heel work, there can be all these little complexities you have to break down and train to get precision and accuracy.

Totally agree :thumbsup: . At a seminar a few years ago, Kamal Fernandez said there were 26 components to heelwork ! (Think I got the number right.) It's so hard to get people to break things up and train each component before they put it together, and then if something goes wrong, figure out which component is broken, and take it out and fix it. But I agree with you .. I love heelwork now. :D

• 1 month later...

Hey Terri, how are you going training the flip finish?

I thought of you when I uploaded this vid a couple of days ago, here's Crazy Blaze-y starting to get the hang of her finishes :)

Edited by huski

Does anyone have any hints on transitioning from an awesome flip finish while using a perch (upturned bowl or phonebook) to an average one with no perch?

Edited by LisaCC

Does anyone have any hints on transitioning from an awesome flip finish while using a perch (upturned bowl or phonebook) to an average one with no perch?

Have you tried transitioning already Lisa? Maybe you could post a video of what it looks like on the perch vs without one.

When the dog is elevated with a perch this can build the incorrect muscle memory as you are adding height to the dog they don't have without the perch. Have you tried using a flat target, like a frisbee or similar? If you do, do you get the same quality flip?