Peanut Butter

Oh wow thanks for the heads up! A friends dog died from it after eating a packet of gum she found :(

Mine rarely have it but I just checked mine which is Bramwells Crunchy from Aldi and no xylitol listed.

There's so much stuff we need to be wary of as dog owners! I'm just glad that peanut butter isn't a huge part of my dog's treat diet --I gave up on Kongs years ago!

When it comes to their diet I'm of the opinion that the least processed the better (same with humans I guess). I'm lucky that I have a local health food store who makes their own peanut butter and package it straight from the press -- no additives at all.

I checked the ingredients of every single peanut butter sold by Coles and Woolworths and not a single one contained xylitol. If you actually read the article you posted, you'll notice that it was one US brand in particular, it's not even a common issue in the country where it was written.

I checked the ingredients of every single peanut butter sold by Coles and Woolworths and not a single one contained xylitol. If you actually read the article you posted, you'll notice that it was one US brand in particular, it's not even a common issue in the country where it was written.

It's not just peanut butter that we need to check for xylitol...it is ANY processed human food that we might give our dogs

thanks Maddy - that's a relief to know!

I use the coles no added salt peanut butter, but was just starting to wonder if that means it's full of sweetener instead!

Will still check when I get home.

I'm pretty sure the company I bought some vitamin supplements from - puts xylitol sweetener in everything.

Which is very scary because I was thinking that would be one way to get more nutrients in my dog when she's on home made food...

But I've thrown most of it out because it all smells like snot/sulphur. Total waste of money.

It's not just peanut butter that we need to check for xylitol...it is ANY processed human food that we might give our dogs

The thread is titled "peanut butter warning" so.. :shrug:

Well, even though I make my own peanut butter I found the info interesting and helpful. In fact a tub of Mints went straight in the bin after reading this thread. They are sweetened with Xylitol and I don't want to risk one falling on the floor and getting eaten by Ronin.

There aren't many new threads these days, possibly because people are sick of minor details being picked apart?? Thanks Sheena for the thread, I learnt a few things from it :)

Well, even though I make my own peanut butter I found the info interesting and helpful. In fact a tub of Mints went straight in the bin after reading this thread. They are sweetened with Xylitol and I don't want to risk one falling on the floor and getting eaten by Ronin.

There aren't many new threads these days, possibly because people are sick of minor details being picked apart?? Thanks Sheena for the thread, I learnt a few things from it :)

Or possibly because sensible, knowledgeable people eventually give up trying to keep the tone of this section of the forum balanced and factual?

Or possibly because sensible, knowledgeable people eventually give up trying to keep the tone of this section of the forum balanced and factual?

:laugh: Good on you

Yes I was thinking that myself...Shame when an OP can't comment on her own post & go slightly off topic...if that's what it is :( I must remember that in future...when I start a thread on Coriander for eg I must make a note to myself not to start talking about parsley or mint in case it offends someone :laugh:

Super easy to make your own, you can also add a little coconut oil too :)

May I ask for your recipe for peanut butter Yonjuro? :D

I give my guys a smear of brought smooth peanut butter in their Kongs at bed time but I'd much rather make my own if possible.

Yes I was thinking that myself...Shame when an OP can't comment on her own post & go slightly off topic...if that's what it is :( I must remember that in future...when I start a thread on Coriander for eg I must make a note to myself not to start talking about parsley or mint in case it offends someone :laugh:

If you want to discuss the dangers of xylitol, go right ahead. My issue was the spreading of panic about peanut butter without properly reading the article or doing any of your own research to verify the risk of the product.

This is not an issue of the thread changing course and I'm sure you are quite aware of that.

Ouch. I'll have to rub some coconut oil and turmeric on that.

May I ask for your recipe for peanut butter Yonjuro? :D

I give my guys a smear of brought smooth peanut butter in their Kongs at bed time but I'd much rather make my own if possible.

not yonjuros- but my sister literally just pours a packet of peanuts into the food processor and drizzles in a bit of coconut oil or peanut oil and a tiny pinch of salt!

i'd maybe hold off on the salt for the dogs though.

If you want to discuss the dangers of xylitol, go right ahead. My issue was the spreading of panic about peanut butter without properly reading the article or doing any of your own research to verify the risk of the product.

This is not an issue of the thread changing course and I'm sure you are quite aware of that.

Someones a bit snarky today laugh.gif

I am sure it would work though- turmeric is a wonderful thing :D

May I ask for your recipe for peanut butter Yonjuro? :D I give my guys a smear of brought smooth peanut butter in their Kongs at bed time but I'd much rather make my own if possible.
not yonjuros- but my sister literally just pours a packet of peanuts into the food processor and drizzles in a bit of coconut oil or peanut oil and a tiny pinch of salt! i'd maybe hold off on the salt for the dogs though.
Well, even though I make my own peanut butter I found the info interesting and helpful. In fact a tub of Mints went straight in the bin after reading this thread. They are sweetened with Xylitol and I don't want to risk one falling on the floor and getting eaten by Ronin. There aren't many new threads these days, possibly because people are sick of minor details being picked apart?? Thanks Sheena for the thread, I learnt a few things from it :)
If you want to discuss the dangers of xylitol, go right ahead. My issue was the spreading of panic about peanut butter without properly reading the article or doing any of your own research to verify the risk of the product. This is not an issue of the thread changing course and I'm sure you are quite aware of that.
Well, even though I make my own peanut butter I found the info interesting and helpful. In fact a tub of Mints went straight in the bin after reading this thread. They are sweetened with Xylitol and I don't want to risk one falling on the floor and getting eaten by Ronin. There aren't many new threads these days, possibly because people are sick of minor details being picked apart?? Thanks Sheena for the thread, I learnt a few things from it :)
Someones a bit snarky today laugh.gifI am sure it would work though- turmeric is a wonderful thing :D

Hahaha, yep Turmeric and coconut oil is great :thumbsup: Great for acidic tongues too :)

The above peanut recipe is basically what I do too, but I add some raw Jarrah honey too, any honey is fine but raw Jarrah won't crystallise like some others :-)