Peanut Butter

Super easy to make your own, you can also add a little coconut oil too :)
May I ask for your recipe for peanut butter Yonjuro? :D I give my guys a smear of brought smooth peanut butter in their Kongs at bed time but I'd much rather make my own if possible.
not yonjuros- but my sister literally just pours a packet of peanuts into the food processor and drizzles in a bit of coconut oil or peanut oil and a tiny pinch of salt! i'd maybe hold off on the salt for the dogs though.
Well, even though I make my own peanut butter I found the info interesting and helpful. In fact a tub of Mints went straight in the bin after reading this thread. They are sweetened with Xylitol and I don't want to risk one falling on the floor and getting eaten by Ronin. There aren't many new threads these days, possibly because people are sick of minor details being picked apart?? Thanks Sheena for the thread, I learnt a few things from it :)
Yes I was thinking that myself...Shame when an OP can't comment on her own post & go slightly off topic...if that's what it is :( I must remember that in future...when I start a thread on Coriander for eg I must make a note to myself not to start talking about parsley or mint in case it offends someone :laugh:
If you want to discuss the dangers of xylitol, go right ahead. My issue was the spreading of panic about peanut butter without properly reading the article or doing any of your own research to verify the risk of the product. This is not an issue of the thread changing course and I'm sure you are quite aware of that.
Well, even though I make my own peanut butter I found the info interesting and helpful. In fact a tub of Mints went straight in the bin after reading this thread. They are sweetened with Xylitol and I don't want to risk one falling on the floor and getting eaten by Ronin. There aren't many new threads these days, possibly because people are sick of minor details being picked apart?? Thanks Sheena for the thread, I learnt a few things from it :)
Or possibly because sensible, knowledgeable people eventually give up trying to keep the tone of this section of the forum balanced and factual?
:laugh: Good on you
Ouch. I'll have to rub some coconut oil and turmeric on that.
Someones a bit snarky today laugh.gifI am sure it would work though- turmeric is a wonderful thing :D

Hahaha, yep Turmeric and coconut oil is great :thumbsup: Great for acidic tongues too :)

The above peanut recipe is basically what I do too, but I add some raw Jarrah honey too, any honey is fine but raw Jarrah won't crystallise like some others :-)

I add Brussels sprouts and organic kale.

which thread are we in.

Sheena - maybe you could update the topic subtitle to include the phrase "xylitol deadly to dogs"

If anyone wants to know what a large dose of these sugar free products can do for you (or to you or your favourite member of parliament), just have a read of the customer reviews for Haribo Sugar Free Gummy bears.

http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Sugar-Free-Gummy-Bears/product-reviews/B008JELLCA

The sweetener is Lycasin which contains maltitol which is very similar chemically to xylitol and has the same laxative side effect if you over indulge.

:rofl: I just had tears in my eyes from reading those Haribo reviews! Surely they can't possibly be real?!

Are you game to try the sugar free lolly challenge?

What also gets me about the product is that name says sugar free, but the ingredients are for the original ones with sugar in. And there's no fraud report button for amazon.

Xylitol is considerably more expensive than cane sugar, so it's most likely to show up in specialized foods such as sweets for diabetics or sweet health foods that advertize fewer calories and better for dental health (eg., gum). If you're like me and buy el cheapo p'nut butter, you're unlikely to encounter the stuff.

Those are priceless

So is Haribo. It's no longer on the market. After going viral on Amazon the price went sky high. Then no more.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Haribo-Sugar-Free-Gummy-Bears/product/B008JELLCA

But if you want something exotic to poison your dogs, Amazon does sell a nice dark chocolate covered bacon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YSRKL8W/ref=ams_at_4918087722616_B00I5NL9KO

Is it just the sugarfree stuff that isn't on the market? I get the haribo gummy bears in coles and woolies all the time...

Hmm, I can't get woollies online to cough up the ingredients. What does your pack say?

The amazon ones - if you poke the page enough - says the ingredients have sugar but the pack says they don't so not quite sure what is going on there.

Of course google is completely blinded by the reviews - that's all it comes back with.