Suggestions For A Dog Breed For New Dog Owners.

Lhok

Well they're so cruisy!! They're happy to sleep on the couch all day, or give cuddles, or just sleep on the couch, or play in the yard but not for too long laugh.gif I love them, don't get me wrong!! I'd totally get one if the husband would let me. They're so smoochy & I love when they snuffle their snout on my hand for a pat smile.gif

Hmmmm ok then :)

Would you expect anything else from me RuralPug? :p

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the revised list I would still suggest a whippet.

German pinshers are cute and may suit but they aren't as cruisy as a whippet and may need more training and exercise. The 2 I know are very accident prone and have had 1000s of dollars worth of vet bills, so insurance may be a good idea!

Given the revised list I would still suggest a whippet.

German pinshers are cute and may suit but they aren't as cruisy as a whippet and may need more training and exercise. The 2 I know are very accident prone and have had 1000s of dollars worth of vet bills, so insurance may be a good idea!

Can I correct one misconception?

Some older Whippets may be happy to sleep on the couch all day but Whippet pups are , well, pups!

They need training, exercise and stimulation. My 3 year old is probably at the upper end of the scale for activity levels but a bored young Whippet may become destructive or an escape artist. Dodger without sufficient exercise is a handful. Both my youngsters were accomplished diggers.

Their prey drive needs harnessing through training and an outlet and a spooked Whippet offlead is a gone Whippet.

I recommended them earlier in the thread but they aren't what I'd call a "no work" breed.

I work in business suits and while I put them on last thing before I leave for work and take them off as soon as I get home, I still get dog hair on them.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I'm gently pushing adults or at least a dog around the 18 month mark. I just don't think they have the time for a pup and all the things that come with it.

I know the list is hard to fill, and I did say to them maybe you should stick to your plushies :laugh:

My hubby is going to have a chat to the guy today although from chatting to hubby last night the guy is pretty set on a dachshund and the girl wants something larger so I can see this being a hassle..

I have done what I was asked to so far in writing a list with greyhound at the top and they will be looking it over at some stage.

Please still feel free to comment as the more I can give them the less they are likely to go out and impulse purchase.

--Lhok

I'm gently pushing adults or at least a dog around the 18 month mark. I just don't think they have the time for a pup and all the things that come with it.

I know the list is hard to fill, and I did say to them maybe you should stick to your plushies :laugh:

My hubby is going to have a chat to the guy today although from chatting to hubby last night the guy is pretty set on a dachshund and the girl wants something larger so I can see this being a hassle..

I have done what I was asked to so far in writing a list with greyhound at the top and they will be looking it over at some stage.

Please still feel free to comment as the more I can give them the less they are likely to go out and impulse purchase.

--Lhok

Get them to a dog show or at least put them in touch with the relevant breed clubs when they select a breed.

You might want to prepare them that telling a dog breeder they want a dog that makes no mess in the house will not be a great start.

There are a lot of sharks pumping out pretty ordinary Dachsies at the moment - a decent breeder will be critical. I suggest a look at the Standard Dachshunds might be a compromise - they are a not a 'small' dog despite the lack of height.

Maybe a mini schnauzer but totally clipped off? Definitely not a standard schnauzer as that's a lot of dog for first time owners like this. Honestly maybe a havanese clipped off might work too?

I've seen a lot of dachies with issues when raised by non dog savvy ppl.

[

I do think people need to consider when thinking about the messier side of owning a pet that with your own you tend to put up with more mess;

like having kids you change nappies or clean up sick but would rather not want to do it for others.

When pets become part of the family we tend to be more tolerant of things like drool, shed hair, and the general mess that pets can create.

Agree. I was thinking the same myself. If someone can't look at what owning a pet means in terms of at least some mess, time & effort, then honestly a pet is not for them. Not that I'm suggesting the OP's friends fit into that category. But it is the bottom line. When a pet is part of the family, we just manage for it.... same as we do for babies & littlies.

Maybe a mini schnauzer but totally clipped off? Definitely not a standard schnauzer as that's a lot of dog for first time owners like this. Honestly maybe a havanese clipped off might work too?

Yes, I've found that the best way to manage our tibbie that has a dense coat. (Not that I'm suggesting a tibbie for this situation). It's generally frowned on to clip a tibbie ... but in our humid heat & paralysis tick area, it makes sense to me. She looks cute, too, & it happens to solve any shedding.

The thing is that their list knocks out all breeds for some reason pretty much BUT individuals within a breed may be suitable.

If they weren't so keen on virtually no grooming a Fauve could work for them in many ways as they are pretty easy-going. Everything they've asked for would be covered other than the need to run a comb through their coat every couple of weeks.

Are they aware of the back problem that can occur in Dachshunds? My friend has had them all her life and has had three so far that have had surgery, two were successful but Doug remained paralysed for 6 years after the op. He had a special wheelchair that she purchased from the US and all up cost an absolute fortune. If they are not prepared for a bit of dog hair on their clothes are they prepared to face "issues" that may arise in a lot of purebred dogs?

Guest RosieFT

If they can afford the regular clipping, then I would suggest a Bichon frise' . My parents have owned three over the years, and they have all been lovely, laid back, easy dogs. They are certainly don't leave hair anywhere, are trainable (although you need to be on the ball with toilet training), great with kids, other dogs, people etc., take what exercise they get, and are happy dogs.

Well worth a look :-)

ETA oops sorry, re read original criteria - definitely NOT a smooth coat! lol

Edited by RosieFT

As always it generally comes down to brushing and semi regular trips to the grooming salon or shedding. They need to figure out which one of these is going to be the lesser of two evils

I would say a greyhound also. The ones I have met are so docile and such snuggle bums.

But I am not sure how realistic they are about having a living breathing being. They should adjust to the dog and not vice versa.

Slightly different tack, but Basenji?

I'm not sure that i would recommend this breed to a first time dog owner at all. There could be some mellow adults around though I suppose?

I agree with OP that something out of the baby stage would be better.

Had another long chat to them about it. They aren't opposed to wooly coated breeds as long as they can find a groomer as they don't really want to clip the dog themselves. They are fine with a dog that needs a little bit of grooming as in run a brush or coat over the coat everyday.

I have lent them a bunch of dog books I had about feeding,grooming and general dog care and have given them a copy of the perfect puppy by gwen bailey. So I hope that will give them a bit more perspective when it comes to owning a dog.

I have still being promoting fostering for a group. The guy is a bit on the cheap side when it comes to things which is never good when animals are concerned.

--Lhok

I'm not sure that i would recommend this breed to a first time dog owner at all. There could be some mellow adults around though I suppose?

As a breeder and owner of Basenji's, no, no, no way would I allow a puppy/adult go to this family. As RP says they most certainly aren't for the new dog owner. They are very primitive in their thinking and behaving, which makes them a difficult breed in a lot if ways. They need a strong leader.

As a breeder and owner of Basenji's, no, no, no way would I allow a puppy/adult go to this family. As RP says they most certainly aren't for the new dog owner. They are very primitive in their thinking and behaving, which makes them a difficult breed in a lot if ways. They need a strong leader.

Agreed! and twelve foot fencing with a lid on top! Lovely, unique breed, but not for everyone! Oh, and barkless does not necessarily equate to silent!

Had another long chat to them about it. They aren't opposed to wooly coated breeds as long as they can find a groomer as they don't really want to clip the dog themselves. They are fine with a dog that needs a little bit of grooming as in run a brush or coat over the coat everyday.

I have lent them a bunch of dog books I had about feeding,grooming and general dog care and have given them a copy of the perfect puppy by gwen bailey. So I hope that will give them a bit more perspective when it comes to owning a dog.

I have still being promoting fostering for a group. The guy is a bit on the cheap side when it comes to things which is never good when animals are concerned.

--Lhok

"'Cheap" and "dog that requires regular professional grooming" are a poor combination. Scratch the wooly breeds IMO.

Agreed! and twelve foot fencing with a lid on top! Lovely, unique breed, but not for everyone! Oh, and barkless does not necessarily equate to silent!

Absolutely GL, I have 10 foot fences, and one boy will occasionally get over that, with no problems, little s#*t, only picks and chooses when he does it :( ... Oh no, they are generally far more vocal than my ACD's, the noises they can make would wake the dead, I'm sure :-)... Especially around breeding time, the boys absolutely scream at each other, it's just incredible.