Suggestions For A Dog Breed For New Dog Owners.

Lhok

Hi all

I've been tasked by some friends of mine to come up with a list of dog breed suggestions for them. They are new to owning dogs. They work a fair bit but one of them works from home.

The things they have said they would like are

No drooling

Smooth coat if possible as while they aren't clean freaks they don't want to have to clean the floor everyday

On the larger side (although one of them like dachshunds)

Easy going so nothing that requires heaps and heaps of training

No guardian breeds

and a dog that would be happy going for an hour walk in the afternoon for exercise.

I have been thinking about suggesting a greyhound but I'm not 100% that they would be a good fit.

Any suggestions?

--Lhok

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smooth Collie? Maybe an adult one that's already shown it's personality patterns .... adopted from a registered breeder.

This is an example only, which is currently on the Dogzonine breeders' pages:

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/mature/collie-smooth.asp

Tho', of course, some people prefer to start with a puppy so they can form it into their lives. If so, I'd go to a registered breeder who socializes their puppies & dogs well ... & gives them access as part of their family. So a good base is set.

I can understand the recommendation of a greyhound. I've seen the GAP assessed greys & lived next door to good greys .... & these dogs are fantastic in being sensible, easy to care for, happy couch potatoes .... just liking one walk a day .... & very affectionate.

Edited by mita

The first breed that sprung to mind was a Pointer. I'm not sure if some of the really dishy faced ones might drool a bit though?

Then of course there is the German Shorthaired Pointer, Viszla and Weimaraner. Again some individuals may be prone to drooling esp. Around food. And not exactly breeds that take exercise lightly.

The standard smooth dachshund is a big dog on little legs. If they like the breed I would suggest meeting some breeders or going to a show.

The other breed that springs to mind as a compromise between a dachshund and a larger dog is the medium sized German Pinscher.

The smooth collie by name is not really a smooth coated dog like a dachshund etc. smooth collies have a thick short double coat. It sounds like the OP wants a truly smooth coat.

The greyhound might be worth suggesting. Some of them can shed for australia though!

The smooth collie by name is not really a smooth coated dog like a dachshund etc. smooth collies have a thick short double coat. It sounds like the OP wants a truly smooth coat.

The greyhound might be worth suggesting. Some of them can shed for australia though!

You've made a good point. And then there's what actually is shedding. I've found those tiny, fine, needle-like hairs that come off some truly smooth-coated dogs really stick into fabrics and are hard to get off. They get left in a patch where the dog's been lying. I've found the 'drifts' of hair, from the longer-coated, actually easier to pick up.... but, of course, there's more of that to do.

You've made a good point. And then there's what actually is shedding. I've found those tiny, fine, needle-like hairs that come off some truly smooth-coated dogs really stick into fabrics and are hard to get off. They get left in a patch where the dog's been lying. I've found the 'drifts' of hair, from the longer-coated, actually easier to pick up.... but, of course, there's more of that to do.

absolutely! Those really short spikey hairs make furniture into pincushions where as the fluffier softer shedding hairs just come off with a wipe over with a damp hand.

Another breed I thought of in the sighthounds was the Saluki. Not a smooth coat but an easy maintenance coat that would probably be less of an obvious shedder than some 'smooth' coated breeds.

[

Another breed I thought of in the sighthounds was the Saluki. Not a smooth coat but an easy maintenance coat that would probably be less of an obvious shedder than some 'smooth' coated breeds.

Oh, be still my beating heart! I think the Saluki is one of the most beautiful dogs on God's earth! And that from a Tibbie Tragic. :)

And I agree with your point about maintenance.

Labs do shed but I don't have to clean up after mine every day. Guess it depends onw what they think is too much shedding.

How much dog experiance do your friends have, are they new to dogs in general?

Edited by Bjelkier

Why oh why is it only me who suggests a Labrador??

did you hit the magical level of perfection with your lab?

my 1st one doesn't shed much but has a very full on personality - so drive wise not a great match for 1st time owners (but exactly what we wanted a high drive dog)

2nd one - laid back, understands what no means is taking training easily- but sheds his hair to ensure our floorboards are carpeted daily, so not suited for someone who doesn't want to wear dog hair as a badge of honour.

If they find a breed that clicks for them though - compromises will be made either in the cleaning department or in the training department - either way adding a dog will surely only improve things!

Labs do shed but I don't have to clean up after mine every day. Guess it depends onw what they think is too much shedding.

Very new to dogs. As far as pet ownership is concerned only one of them has had pets which was an elderly cat that came to live with them.

--Lhok

Very new to dogs. As far as pet ownership is concerned only one of them has had pets which was an elderly cat that came to live with them.

--Lhok

Would an English or Irish Setter suit ?

absolutely! Those really short spikey hairs make furniture into pincushions where as the fluffier softer shedding hairs just come off with a wipe over with a damp hand.

Salukis come in smooth too. :) Even feathereds are pretty low maintenance coat-wise, my girl is certainly not a big shedder. An hour's walk a day would keep my girl happy, but opportunities for free running in a safe area are important too. Training probably depends on the individual, but they seem to often have a 'what's in it for me' attitude. It depends on what 'trained' means to you. :)

--Lhok

DROOL!!!!! I owned an Irish setter for many years and Riley could sink the titanic in drool!

--Lhok

DROOL!!!!! I owned an Irish setter for many years and Riley could sink the titanic in drool!

Oh yeh;

forgot about the drool factor...:laugh:....lovely dogs .

I do think people need to consider when thinking about the messier side of owning a pet that with your own you tend to put up with more mess;

like having kids you change nappies or clean up sick but would rather not want to do it for others.

When pets become part of the family we tend to be more tolerant of things like drool, shed hair, and the general mess that pets can create.

I too would suggest lab, but to me they aren't really short coated. And i read it as they want short coated but really mean smooth coated. So a smooth collie doesn't fit it if thats what they mean.

Vizsla would be good, but do need training- and extra stimulation not just a walk.

i knw a few greys that would suit but arent 100% familiar with the breed.

And also :heart: salukis