Dslr Vs Mirrorless For Beginners...

Sail_Away

The old saying of 'Oh wow, you take really good photos, you must have a very expensive camera' is akin to saying to a chef, 'wow you cook amazing food, you must have a really expensive set of saucepans'

Shhhh! Don't give away all the secrets!

When people ask meabout how I get nice photos, I just say "I point the really expensive thing at something interesting and press the magic clicky button"... lol!

I used to get people commenting on my fractal art with "oh, you use a computer program to do that, so anyone must be able to do it"... ummm... it acually wasn't that simple, but feel free to give it a go mate... the program is free, but the talent to use it well comes at a price... lol!

T.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old saying of 'Oh wow, you take really good photos, you must have a very expensive camera' is akin to saying to a chef, 'wow you cook amazing food, you must have a really expensive set of saucepans'

Shhhh! Don't give away all the secrets!

Some of my favourite photos were taken on a phone not a camera:

r8t1xk.jpg

I've had that printed 1.5m wide and it's crystal clear. No fancy Canon or $2000 lens.

How are you going with making a decision, Sail_Away? :)

Hi Snook,

I went into Camera House and the guy there recommended the Nikon D5500 or D7200 (both on special...) ... so I'm still a bit confused which way to go, Canon vs Nikon. I keep coming back to the Canon 70D for some reason although I have concerns how it performs at high ISO. The Nikon D5500 felt nice in my hand.

No idea why this decision is taking me so long but I am waiting for tax return before I buy...

Wow Snook such a big effort you have gone into here for me! Really appreciate it. The salesman at CameraHouse showed me briefly this on the Dpreview website but you are right, now it's getting into the nit picking stuff and any camera will fair me very well.

Ok so my gut is saying to get the Canon 70D. Think that's what I'll do...! I like the articulating touchscreen, which will come in handy for shooting at awkward angles & during video etc. Plus it felt the best in my hand compared to the Nikons. My thumb seemed to rest over the top of some buttons on the Nikons & the D7100/D7200 felt very heavy for some reason. Plus I tend to like the colour pop canon photos seem to produce...?

Now to find the best deal... Apart from in store, what about buying from DWI online?...

Ok thank you Snook. I'll keep that in mind. I will have a look at Australian retailers first and compare prices. Dicksmith just did 15% sale on Canon but it seems the Nikon are the only brand with the savings right now... HN have a big electrical sale on this weekend here on the GC so will see what they have on offer too...

Next Q... which lenses should I look at first? I am thinking the kit 18 - 55mm and perhaps something like a 70 - 200mm range - for the whales ... tamron, sigma, canon?

Tamron and Sigma lenses are usually pretty good value for money. I love my Tamron 18-270mm - lightweight and great image quality for the price.

The longer zoom lenses start to get pretty heavy - my Canon 100-400mm toook a bit of getting used to, but now it lives on my camera pretty much all the time. I have developed impressive biceps though...

For a starter lens, I'd definitely suggest checking out the Tamron 18-270mm... or even looking at the newer 28-300mm one... gives you a nice wide range, and doesn't require a mortgage on the house to buy.

T.

Edited by tdierikx

I have a Sigma 18 to 250 and a 18 to 300. Long story but the 300 lives on my camera and I am pretty happy with its performance. I bought it online from CR Kennedy for around $500. The good thing with the new Sigma's is you can send it it in to get the mounts changed if you ever change camera brands Ps the 250 is for sale :D

Edited by Canetoad

CameraHouse have the new Tamron 16 - 300mm which the guy said is "very sharp" and I tried it on the Canon 70D and it didn't add much weight at all. It was fairly compact actually for a telephoto lens.

If I bought the 70D with a kit lens like the 18 - 55mm am I then better to go from 70mm upwards rather than 18 - 250/300? Or would I find the broader range like the 18 - 250mm more useful for most things?

I'm about to head off to the big HN sale at the convention centre... no idea if they'll have good deals on camera's but I am hopeful! smile.gif

So the HN "sale" today was a fizz! You won't believe it but they had the 70D priced higher than there online store!!! Lucky I knew the prices from looking and picked it up - the guy was astonished by this! The body was about $100 more & body + kit lenses about $200 more at the sale today compared to HN online (which wasn't on sale)! Pretty poor form by them! Feel sorry for anyone who may have bought one..

On the plus side my mum bought a Dyson stick vacuum saving $200, so that was good for her! Lol laugh.gif

Digital Camera Warehouse will sell the 70D with the Tamron 18-270mm... http://www.digitalca...u/prod10254.htm ... just sayin'...

And they have a store in Annerly...

T.

Are they a grey import Tdierikx? That looks like a good deal... I feel great I've FINALLY decided on the Canon 70D now though thumbsup1.gif Think it's a great choice! I'm in no immediate hurray to buy, was hoping some more EOFY deals would come up but nothing has.. I'll await tax return too if need be... but hopefully have something by end of July - Booked my whale watching charter this year!! Can't wait!

DCW are definitely Aussie warranty... and their after sales service is awesome as well. I had an issue with my 100-400mm lens and they handled all of the getting it back to Canon for servicing/repair without any fuss.

T.

Edited by tdierikx

• 3 weeks later...

I'd still get mine from here...

http://www.digitalca...egory1380_1.htm

As you can see, their prices are a bit better than JB HiFi... the savings JB are telling you aren't all that much really...

I'd get the camera and the Tamron 18-270mm lens set myself...

T.

I have read this lens isn't very good when using during video though? However, I like it's focal range...

I think the price at JB HiFi is good but it's just a standard kit lens, although when looking at the price for just the body the lens only works out to about $150. You could also get just the body and a much nice 50mm 1.8 lens for the same price or even less (you can sometimes get the 50mm for around $100). You would have the ability to zoom out to fit more in to the frame though but that's not necessarily a bad thing. You could then add a 70-200mm lens later on for your dog sports photography and add a tekeconverter to extend the focal length for wildlife photos.

What are your thoughts on those options?

I read that of the kit lenses the 18-135 is better than the 18-55 from Canon... I agree a good prime lens like a 40 or 50 would be good to have. The 70-200 seems very popular and I had a look on Flickr of photos taken with the Canon 70D and this lens and they look great. I think this range would suit me really well... or maybe something up to 300.

I don't want to overlap in lens focal length if i can avoid it.