Dslr Vs Mirrorless For Beginners...

Sail_Away

I used a 40d for a while that had a 28-80 and a 70 - 300 lens and it was a pain constantly switching lenses invariably which ever lens I had with me was either to long or too short and the amount of times the 70 was too long for what I was trying to do was ridiculous. Remember to multiply the lens length by 1.6 as it's a cropped sensor camera and you will see why. Which is why I went to the 18 to 250 and then the 18 to 300 for my everyday walking around lens. Yes it's not perfect everywhere but every photo I have posted in the last year has been taken with 1 of them and most have been fast action shots in sport mode. It's not ideal on dark days but it's a good compromise. Especially with access to light room. I am starting to feel the need for a prime now and will be attending to that fairly soon. The eagle shots I posted this week in the 52 weeks of 2015 thread were taken at 300mm in sports mode on a dreary overcast day and I have zoomed into them a fair bit. So that should give you an idea of how they perform

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if you've bought anything yet, but I can give you advice that differs from everyone else :laugh:

Firstly, as a newbie photographer I really think you're overthinking. You can fork out thousands on a 7D but it's pointless if you don't know how to use the camera and/or you don't want to print out whopping great poster size prints.

I had a Canon 450D for many years and it did everything I needed. Even now it pretty much does everything I need to take quality photos.

You could buy a 750D cheaply second hand, learn some basics, and go from there. As said, lenses are much more important and worth investing in, especially if you can upgrade to a different camera body a few years down the track.

Buying (and learning) a photo-editing application like Lightroom will allow you to make a professional looking photograph irrespective of Canon, Nikon, or anything else. I've taken photos that look awful, then made them look amazing in Lightroom. Loads of videos on Youtube will get you up and running in no time.

For price comparisons check http://www.cameracompare.com.au

Perhaps a 700D with an 18-55mm lens PLUS a 55-250mm lens for whale watching from Camera House - http://www.cameracompare.com.au/Product/canon-eos-700d-w18-55mm-55-250mm-is-stm-lenses-digital-slr-camera-canon/camerahouse/700DMTK/

That is pretty much on your budget and you'd get plenty out of it in years to come.

Not sure if you've bought anything yet, but I can give you advice that differs from everyone else :laugh:

Firstly, as a newbie photographer I really think you're overthinking. You can fork out thousands on a 7D but it's pointless if you don't know how to use the camera and/or you don't want to print out whopping great poster size prints.

I had a Canon 450D for many years and it did everything I needed. Even now it pretty much does everything I need to take quality photos.

You could buy a 750D cheaply second hand, learn some basics, and go from there. As said, lenses are much more important and worth investing in, especially if you can upgrade to a different camera body a few years down the track.

Buying (and learning) a photo-editing application like Lightroom will allow you to make a professional looking photograph irrespective of Canon, Nikon, or anything else. I've taken photos that look awful, then made them look amazing in Lightroom. Loads of videos on Youtube will get you up and running in no time.

For price comparisons check http://www.cameracompare.com.au

Perhaps a 700D with an 18-55mm lens PLUS a 55-250mm lens for whale watching from Camera House - http://www.cameracom...ahouse/700DMTK/

That is pretty much on your budget and you'd get plenty out of it in years to come.

Some good suggestions there, Dave-O. However, having owned both of the kit lenses you suggested I know from experience that they will not be fast enough for photographing dog sports, either in terms of the focusing motor or the aperture.

Thank you for your comments. Dave-O the reason I am looking at the enthusiast line of camera's is as Snook mentioned, I will be shooting a lot of action shots, in particular dog agility so having the body with fast AF & adequate fps is important to me. I will also use the camera for video - filming agility, so again the Canon 70D is a stand out choice for that. I would like to print some photos to large canvas too smile.gif

I am happy with my choice in the Canon 70D and think it will be the right choice for me. Yes I was probably overthinking it at the beginning, but I was quite overwhelmed by all the camera options available and I wanted to make a good decision because of the prices.

Not yet Snook. Unfortunately I missed the JBHI sale. Just had my birthday and have been given some $ toward my camera so that's great thumbsup1.gif I'm wanting to buy asap, so am just looking out for a good deal or bundle that suits.

Hi guys,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in with a question (don't mean to hijack the thread, it is a similar question).

I have a DSLR Nikon D3100, but I don't use it much - combination of it being quite big to carry around (so it lives in a cupboard), and I don't know how to use it so get disheartened quickly - some photos work, some dont and I could not work out why.

So - I am taking an 8 week course (I learn best with face to face with a new subject, give me a book and/or You Tube without any F2F and I have no idea) - first thing sorted.

This thread also told me about mirrorless cameras - so I checked them out and find them much smaller (other problem solved, it can live in my handbag).

Anyway, yesterday I put a deposit/laybuy on a Olympus OMD EM5 MKII with a 14-150mm lens.

Would love to know peoples thoughts on whether that is a good camera.

I completely know that the output is due to the skill of the operator, not the camera. But I have a long holiday coming up that I want to use it for - so I want a camera that can take a good photo, is easy to use, and that can grow with me if/when I work it out :-)

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

About to purchase my camera in the next week or so (finally I know!) and very happy to say Canon have $150 cash back on the 70D right now thumbsup1.gif. The body only from www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au is a bargain at $980 but Teds have what I think is a good lens combo for $1500 after cash back... what do you think of this lens combo with the 70D? http://www.teds.com.au/canon-eos-70d-18-55mm-is-stm-55-250mm-is-stm

Hi everyone,

About to purchase my camera in the next week or so (finally I know!) and very happy to say Canon have $150 cash back on the 70D right now thumbsup1.gif. The body only from www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au is a bargain at $980 but Teds have what I think is a good lens combo for $1500 after cash back... what do you think of this lens combo with the 70D? http://www.teds.com....55-250mm-is-stm

They are both cheap lenses but will get you into the game and take pretty good photos and when you reach their limitations you can upgrade the lense

Snook you have been bashing on about these lenses being to slow for dog sports when almost every photo I post proves you wrong. Yes they are not the best tool for the job but they take perfectly adequate photos without costing thousands of dollars. I suggest you look at the photos I have posted in the 52 weeks of 2015 thread and the Chronicles of Jonah. Many are of moving dogs and birds and more than a few in overcast conditions.

I'll agree the Tamron 18-270 isn't as fast as a Canon L lens... which is why my Canon 100-400 L is almost a permanent fixture on my camera - but compared to the Canon kit lenses, it's definitely faster than them, and perfectly fine in reasonable light conditions... add to that the upgraded Digic processing of the 70D and I reckon that it will serve just fine until Sail_Away has saved up and gotten enough experience to try the more upmarket lenses.

T.

We all have different "eyes" when it comes to photos/art... what one person may like, someone else won't - it's all subjective really.

... and sometimes a bit of soft focus or blur just helps tell that photo's story better than if it had all been in crisp focus.

I'm my own worst critic with my photos, but sometimes when I'm going through old ones, I realise that some of them really aren't all that bad... *grin*

T.

Photography is so subjective which is what I love about it. Everyone will have different opinions on what they like and don't etc, I think as long as it captures that moment for you, that's all that matters smile.gif

I've finally decided to buy a lovely prime - 50mm f/1.8 II and I will pair it with the 55-250mm 4-5.6 STM as a cheap telephoto zoom - DWI have the prime for $125 and the latter for $205 which is a great price. The 55-250 actually has excellent reviews but I'm aware might not be best suited for dog agility/action shots etc so I will get some practice with it first and learn my camera before upgrading. I think I will definitely purchase the 70-200 f/4L IS USM at a later stage, image quality looks amazing with this lens but just a bit $$ and I'm nervous spending that on my first lens.

I started with a point and shoot model... took some nice pics under the right conditions - dogs running with friends at the park and all that stuff.

Moved up to the 450D and the kit lenses, and had pretty good success with that too...

I LOVE my 60D and 100-400mm lens though... still going strong and giving me mostly what I want from it... lol!

You are gong to love your new setup, as I'm of the opinion you really can't take a bad photo with the 70D... *grin*

Start saving for your next lens... 'cos methinks you're gonna get addicted to photography PDQ!

T.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update - I purchased the Canon 70D with 18-55mm kit lens whilst on sale through 'The Good Guys' eBay store - was 20% off plus 2.5% back through cash rewards & then a further $150 off from 'Canon Cash Back' deal! Saved about $450!! Super happy and now just waiting for delivery!! I will buy a prime lens - do you guys think the 50mm is a good one for me first? There is the 50mm f/1.8 II or STM... or the 50 f/1.4 STM - The 1.4 is about double the price ($325) but in total not a big expense..

Also just deciding on a telephoto - think I'll just get the 55-250 STM from DWI as it's only $205 but I have seem some good deals on second hand 70-200 f/4L IS USM... I can afford the non-IS version of this lens but still unsure if I would regret not getting the IS. But happy for now I've at least got a Camera body! laugh.gif I didn't necessarily want the 18-55 kit lens but it was too good a deal to pass up and worked out cheaper than any stand alone bodies anywhere else.

I'll post some pics once I've received it! Can't wait to start snapping pics!!thumbsup1.gif

MY CAMERA'S HERE MY CAMERA'S HERE!!

Thank you EVERYONE for the help, advice, input etc whilst I made up my mind. It came with the 18-55mm STM kit lens so I'll take some pics soon to test it out. Tomorrow I'm going to buy the 50mm 1.8 STM & 55-250mm STM from DWI as they are such good buys on there right now. This will give me a chance to see what lenses I use most or need etc so then I can upgrade to better ones down the track.

I should get a camera bag too and I stumbled across an old thread here on DOL (which I've posted in now) discussing these beautiful 'Porteen Bags' from Etsy. They are totally gorgeous but a bit $$ although I can't stop thinking about them! ha. Maybe I should just spoil myself ...

Anyway thanks again, I'm so excited to start playing with it, I'll post pics soon thumbsup1.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

As promised here are some of the first pics taken with my new Canon 70D using the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens. It was just on autofocus until I sit down and learn more about how to use it properly biggrin.gif

I have uploaded the pics to Flicker - chosen just 5 of my Vizsla smile.gifhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/134570225@N08/

post-46407-0-00824700-1443320469_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sail_Away