Sign in to follow this  
Sail_Away

Dslr Vs Mirrorless For Beginners...

129 posts in this topic

Snook   

Snook you have been bashing on about these lenses being to slow for dog sports when almost every photo I post proves you wrong. Yes they are not the best tool for the job but they take perfectly adequate photos without costing thousands of dollars. I suggest you look at the photos I have posted in the 52 weeks of 2015 thread and the Chronicles of Jonah. Many are of moving dogs and birds and more than a few in overcast conditions.

I shot with those lenses for approximately three years so I've got a pretty good idea about what I'm talking about. Yes, you can nail the occasional action shot with them but they are not fast focusing and will result in a very poor success rate of tack sharp photos compared to a better quality lens. I just had a look through some of the photos you referred me to and I don't want to be rude but I think you are overestimating the quality and sharpness of most of your action photos. It's wonderful that you're happy with them and I'm not trying to take away from that enjoyment but they are not good examples of action photography and the lenses will not keep up with photographing dog sports for someone who wants multiple, good quality, sharp images. I've tried really hard not to say anything negative about the photography of anyone who has recommended the kit lenses but I feel like you have pushed me in to a corner by telling me to look at your photos as examples of what those lenses can do and I'm sorry if what I said has hurt your feelings.

You also don't need to spend thousands on a lens. The 70-200mm f4 is very affordable and a fantastic, fast lens suited to what Sail_Away wants to do.

tdierikx   

I'll agree the Tamron 18-270 isn't as fast as a Canon L lens... which is why my Canon 100-400 L is almost a permanent fixture on my camera - but compared to the Canon kit lenses, it's definitely faster than them, and perfectly fine in reasonable light conditions... add to that the upgraded Digic processing of the 70D and I reckon that it will serve just fine until Sail_Away has saved up and gotten enough experience to try the more upmarket lenses.

T.

Snook I realize my photos are not publishing quality but I maybe need new glasses as I didn't realize they were so terrible. Even the ones I have printed and hung on my walls, oh well you live and you learn

Snook   

Snook I realize my photos are not publishing quality but I maybe need new glasses as I didn't realize they were so terrible. Even the ones I have printed and hung on my walls, oh well you live and you learn

I'm not the best photographer in the world either and I keep shots where I've missed focus because I love something about it, whether it's a funny moment or captures my dog's personality etc.. and there was a time when I didn't realise how out of focus or unsharp my photos were. As you learn more, you see more. I look back at photos I thought were great at the time and wonder what I was thinking and I have no doubt that in another year I'll be looking back at what I'm taking now and see a whole heap of issues that I'm not aware of at the moment. I think it's probably impossible to run out of new things to learn when it comes to photography. It's awesome that you love your photos and I hope you continue to love them, after all that's what it's all about. :)

tdierikx   

We all have different "eyes" when it comes to photos/art... what one person may like, someone else won't - it's all subjective really.

... and sometimes a bit of soft focus or blur just helps tell that photo's story better than if it had all been in crisp focus.

I'm my own worst critic with my photos, but sometimes when I'm going through old ones, I realise that some of them really aren't all that bad... *grin*

T.

Photography is so subjective which is what I love about it. Everyone will have different opinions on what they like and don't etc, I think as long as it captures that moment for you, that's all that matters smile.gif

I've finally decided to buy a lovely prime - 50mm f/1.8 II and I will pair it with the 55-250mm 4-5.6 STM as a cheap telephoto zoom - DWI have the prime for $125 and the latter for $205 which is a great price. The 55-250 actually has excellent reviews but I'm aware might not be best suited for dog agility/action shots etc so I will get some practice with it first and learn my camera before upgrading. I think I will definitely purchase the 70-200 f/4L IS USM at a later stage, image quality looks amazing with this lens but just a bit $$ and I'm nervous spending that on my first lens.

Snook   

The most important thing is that you make a decision that you're comfortable with and doesn't blow your budget. Photography is such a huge learning curve that you'll still get heaps out of the kit you've chosen to start with and the nifty fifty is a great addition. :thumbsup:

I hope you really enjoy your new toy and learning how to use it. Make sure you show us some photos once you get started!! :D

tdierikx   

I started with a point and shoot model... took some nice pics under the right conditions - dogs running with friends at the park and all that stuff.

Moved up to the 450D and the kit lenses, and had pretty good success with that too...

I LOVE my 60D and 100-400mm lens though... still going strong and giving me mostly what I want from it... lol!

You are gong to love your new setup, as I'm of the opinion you really can't take a bad photo with the 70D... *grin*

Start saving for your next lens... 'cos methinks you're gonna get addicted to photography PDQ!

T.

Just an update - I purchased the Canon 70D with 18-55mm kit lens whilst on sale through 'The Good Guys' eBay store - was 20% off plus 2.5% back through cash rewards & then a further $150 off from 'Canon Cash Back' deal! Saved about $450!! Super happy and now just waiting for delivery!! I will buy a prime lens - do you guys think the 50mm is a good one for me first? There is the 50mm f/1.8 II or STM... or the 50 f/1.4 STM - The 1.4 is about double the price ($325) but in total not a big expense..

Also just deciding on a telephoto - think I'll just get the 55-250 STM from DWI as it's only $205 but I have seem some good deals on second hand 70-200 f/4L IS USM... I can afford the non-IS version of this lens but still unsure if I would regret not getting the IS. But happy for now I've at least got a Camera body! laugh.gif I didn't necessarily want the 18-55 kit lens but it was too good a deal to pass up and worked out cheaper than any stand alone bodies anywhere else.

I'll post some pics once I've received it! Can't wait to start snapping pics!!thumbsup1.gif

Exciting! Look forward to seeing your shots and hope you have fun playing and learning :)

Have a look at the Tampon 70-300 VC lens. I had it for a while and it was a cracking lens for the price. Not the fastest lens around but does come with stabilization and a 'motor'.

http://www.tamron.com.au/di70-300_a005.html

Snook   

Congrats on your new toy!! The 50mm 1.8 is a great lens, especially for the price. My understanding is that the build quality of the 1.4 is better but I'm not sure if the image quality is that much better than the 1.8. I seem to recall that a DOLer upgraded from the 1.8 to the 1.4 and didn't think the difference was that noticeable. I'd probably just go with the 1.8 to be honest.

MY CAMERA'S HERE MY CAMERA'S HERE!!

Thank you EVERYONE for the help, advice, input etc whilst I made up my mind. It came with the 18-55mm STM kit lens so I'll take some pics soon to test it out. Tomorrow I'm going to buy the 50mm 1.8 STM & 55-250mm STM from DWI as they are such good buys on there right now. This will give me a chance to see what lenses I use most or need etc so then I can upgrade to better ones down the track.

I should get a camera bag too and I stumbled across an old thread here on DOL (which I've posted in now) discussing these beautiful 'Porteen Bags' from Etsy. They are totally gorgeous but a bit $$ although I can't stop thinking about them! ha. Maybe I should just spoil myself ...

Anyway thanks again, I'm so excited to start playing with it, I'll post pics soon thumbsup1.gif

Snook   

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I'm sure you're going to love it and have so much fun learning to use it. The book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson (used to be about $20 from the Book Depository) is a brilliant book for getting to understand how it all works and here's a thread with a link to a free online course made up of short videos. I haven't done the course but I had a quick look at some of the videos to see if it would be any good for a friend who wants to learn photography. http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/262778-free-course-on-learning-to-shoot-manually/page__p__6689183__fromsearch__1#entry6689183

if you decide to get a Porteen Gear bag have fun playing with the bag designer tool that she's set up. It didn't exist when I got my first two and because I'm useless at visualising I had to put different combinations together in photoshop to get an idea of what they'd look like. The new tool was awesome for creating the bag I just got. Not that I'm trying to be an enabler at all... lol. :p

Enjoy!!! :thumbsup:

Hello everyone!

As promised here are some of the first pics taken with my new Canon 70D using the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens. It was just on autofocus until I sit down and learn more about how to use it properly biggrin.gif

I have uploaded the pics to Flicker - chosen just 5 of my Vizsla smile.gifhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

post-46407-0-00824700-1443320469_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sail_Away

Snook   

Gorgeous photo! Your dog is beautiful. :) I can't access the other photos though. The link just takes me straight to my own camera roll on Flickr. You might need to go in to your photostream and post the link for that instead.

How much are you loving your new toy??? :D

Snook   

Yep, that link works. She's so photogenic!

Once the big move is over I hope I'll get to see more of your photos. :)

Thanks everyone. Makes it easier when I have a beautiful subject to shoot smile.gif

Is it best to remove the lens from the camera body after use each time or is it ok to leave on whilst not in use?