Dslr Vs Mirrorless For Beginners...

Sail_Away

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your nice comments Snook!

I was lucky enough to go out Whale Watching for a second time yesterday and this time was able to witness an amazing show by mother and calf - lots of playful activity, tail slapping & breaching from both - very different photos from the first time, so I'm very very happy! I have uploaded some of Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/134570225@N08/

I was at a wedding last week too and chatting with the photographers - they were using Canon and I was interested in the lenses they were using - they had the 24-70 L and the 70-200 L - they said they are a wonderful combination :)

So far have just kept everything on autofocus - I am going to do an online course when I get time as there is SO much to learn but I'm really enjoying playing around atm!

I've never had much trouble with slow auto focus speeds of Canon lenses, but there's always ways to counteract that - i.e. by setting shutter speed to 1/2000 ish and adjusting aperture and ISO to match, or auto focusing to whatever distance you need then switching to MF for faster shots.

I've had the 70-200 f4 USM lens for about 8 years and it was well worth the money. Spending money on decent glass is much more worthwhile than spending it on an expensive body (in my opinion).

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see you finally decided on a camera/system and are getting good results. You're in depth research reminds me of myself, I certainly go overboard.

With regards to the mirrorless to DLSR debate, for any others that have the same question. I think the biggest deciding factor is what/how you shoot. Mirrorless is more compact and light for the equivalent image quality at the expense of focus ability with moving subjects. They just aren't there yet at tracking and nailing focus shot after shot like some (well many) DSLR's are. Also in low light, DLSRs will generally focus better, well the good/newer ones, but Mirrorless in better light can focus more accurately with shallow DOF. If this tracking/action focus isn't a big factor then I feel mirrorless has the advantage.

Some have huge great EVF's that can still show you wan'ts going in very low light where optical viewfinders show you blackness. Reviewing shots via a good EVF is also way way better than trying to shade a rear screen. There liveview (using the screen) performs just as well as the viewfinder (far from the case with DSLR's), and with most having tilting screens this is quite handy with animals and other subjects.

Hopefully in a few years mirrorless focus and tracking systems start to match DSLR's, the Samsung NX1 is the closest so far by all accounts, not as good but with 15 FPS it banks on shooting bulk to get keepers..............which is how I use 8fps on my X-T1 (Fuji), as hit rate can be low in sum situations.