How Is It Proven

This is something that popped into my head regarding barking dogs. Not my dogs, but how does a neighbour prove to the council that there is a nuisance dog in the vicinity. I won't say my dogs don't bark in our yard but it is not a continuous problem. They may bark for a very short time and then just come in via the doggy door. I won't allow them to continue if I think they've been at it for too long.

I understand from reading on DOL that the complainant is required to document times and duration and possibly tape the racket. But, what if the complainant puts forward false evidence? Does council check with other neighbours or just take the word of the complainant? Just wondering.

Most council animal control are well aware of false complaints.

One of my friends had new neighbours complaining about her beagle - but she could prove that her beagle was not home at the times they had logged complaints about it. Ie it was either fiction or some other dog they were hearing.

Our council sends someone out to check if they hear barking and problem noise as well. Our whole suburb barks - there's a dog in every second household - sometimes two or more.

After the neighbour submits a noise complaint, they are asked to provide a log of the barking, then the council sends an officer to record a log as well to validate the claim.

FYI, If your dog is being complained about, in the first instance the council will send you a letter telling you about it and advising you to undertake measures to prevent it or the process will escalate.

Edited by dee lee