What Have You Learned From Your Dogs?

Henrietta

I've learnt to be patient. Puppies can be frustrating and nothing went the way I wanted it to until he was over 12 months.

I've learnt to forgive and forget, my favourite pairs of undies being chewed was my fault for leaving them out.

I've learnt to laugh more, especially when zoomies are involved. Even when it's a pair of underwear being held hostage.

And I've learnt to love unconditionally. Because nothing melts my heart like a 35kg dog climbing onto my lap for a cuddle.

I've also learnt that said 35kg dog is a bed hog.

I have also learnt patience and not to give up even when you think the dog is never going to understand what you are asking it to do. I have also learnt to appreciate their unconditional love and devotion and loyalty and those gentle licks when you are feeling miserable.

Because I've decided to show and breed:

* to deal with excitement, disappointment and setbacks to plans. I have seen friends suffer heartbreak and rebound. It's "character developing"

* that dog people come in all ages, socio-economic statuses and types of mental health

* that dogs don't care about any of that, nor about wins and losses, if they they are loved and cared for.

* that the more you learn, the more you realise you have to learn.

Dogs are very grounding.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

A vet remarked a long time back about Tibetan Spaniels she treats. She said they go into a 'Buddhist zone' to deal with any stress of being treated.

I've learned that from our Tibbies. I had open-heart surgery last year & had countless medical procedures. I followed the Tibbies' lead & emptied my mind to make a calm place. It works! Friends & family remarked on it & I said I'd learned it from the dogs!!!!

A vet remarked a long time back about Tibetan Spaniels she treats. She said they go into a 'Buddhist zone' to deal with any stress of being treated.

I've learned that from our Tibbies. I had open-heart surgery last year & had countless medical procedures. I followed the Tibbies' lead & emptied my mind to make a calm place. It works! Friends & family remarked on it & I said I'd learned it from the dogs!!!!

that's wonderful. I'm having an op soon. I need to remind myself of this.

I have also learnt from my dogs that when they are not understanding me it is not because they are stupid or unobliging it is because I have not got through to them and I need to rethink how I am presenting whatever it is that I am trying to teach them. And if they don't do well at a trial it is certain to be something I have done or not done and is not the dog's fault. I have also learnt that this is probably true in my dealings with people as well.

what has this dog taught me?

That punishment just makes dogs (and people) avoid you but doesn't change their undesirable behaviour.

That making a dog (or a people) work for what they get - makes them value and want what they get more.

That catching dogs or people doing something right, and praising that - brings much joy all round...

And there is no such thing as too much pats and ear rubs and butt rubs (that bit on the back before the tail)...

And the best way to deal with an unwanted door to door salesperson is not to let them get a word in edgewise and be quite scary.

(I just want to see your electricity bill

- you'd better go I don't know if I can hold her much longer...)

I've learnt I could have been a butcher in another life!

I've just spent a small fortune and an hour bagging necks and wing tips, then slicing heart, liver and other meats for dehydrating treats. Unfortunately now that I've watched Hannibal I can't help but picture him humming away as he slices and dices in the kitchen!

That having nice things is no longer possible :laugh:

That's kids also.

Ok. Seriously?

From Ernie, I learned that there is joy in the smallest of things.

From Georgia, I learned to be brave and above all else, never lose the capacity to love.

From Katie, I learned that loyalty is precious and to be valued above all else.

Anzac: to live each day like its your last, and love everyone unconditionally.

Kokoda: to find joy in the smallest of things. And that its never too cold for a swim. I have also learnt the correct way to bark at the postman.

Deniki: to persevere with patience, and how to quell frustration.

Henry: eating food dropped on he floor wont kill you - 5 second rule laugh.gif