New Rescue Services For Cowra Nsw And Surrounds

Hi, Great Dane Rescue NSW & Friends would like to let the Rescue community know they are doing 'all breeds' rescue via Cowra pound and surrounding pounds where feasible.

This group is a registered charity.

https://www.facebook.../cowrapetrescue

www.greatdanerescue.com.au

E-mail: [email protected]

Kylie who is the groups new President (existing committee member and carer) and Cowra local. As the former President of 10 years who needs a break! I know Kylie will do an outstanding job and she is very passionate about supporting the Cowra and surrounding area dogs of all breeds.

Edited by sas

I'm thrilled. I couldn't believe that other Cowra thread - it was just so depressing.

Cowra is not the only country pound that is run like this there are many. Only a few years ago Gosford Pound was the same until Elise took over under private tender, dogs were shoved in cold, filthy pens together regardless of breed.

I'm thrilled. I couldn't believe that other Cowra thread - it was just so depressing.

Cowra is not the only country pound that is run like this there are many. Only a few years ago Gosford Pound was the same until Elise took over under private tender, dogs were shoved in cold, filthy pens together regardless of breed.

I know. My anstaff once got out and I had to go get her. I cried for days.

There are already bona fide rescue groups in Cowra - it's that the Pound and Ranger will not work with us.

It's a darned shame someone more appropriate wasn't chosen to replace the outgoing President. :(

Ms Niven has worked with me for a number of years, I trust her 100%, she is a skilled trainer and has worked with most of our rehab cases. This is not the thread to air your personal issues. This is notification thread not a political one.

There are already bona fide rescue groups in Cowra - it's that the Pound and Ranger will not work with us.

It's a darned shame someone more appropriate wasn't chosen to replace the outgoing President. :(

Obviously the Council/Ranger find the person from Great Dane Rescue NSW and Friends more palatable than people from the other local rescue groups... stranger things have been known to happen...

Seriously, I've seen the carry on some people in rescue can pull with regards to pounds... and have no sympathy for those shut out for being "troublesome". Gotta work within the boundaries set by each pound, or you'll find yourself looking elsewhere for rescue animals...

I used to take photos of poundies at a local pound. Their kennels weren't anything to write home about, and it was a challenge to get photos of the animals without showing the somewhat run-down kennels/runs. It was not pretty, but the staff did work hard to make it as comfortable as possible for the animals in their care. Other rescuers saw the place and kicked up a stink about the old and not pretty conditions - and the next thing we all knew, no-one from rescue was allowed in there... except me, because I was genuinely in there doing my best to work within the conditions and trying to get publicity for the animals there to get rescue.

Pounds are not pretty places - they are not designed to be long term holding facilities - and different councils will pay differing amounts of monies for the tender to do the job that no-one really wants to do. Some rescuers need to remember all of that before going off their tree and stuffing up hard won trust that others have gained with various pounds.

T.

I can't see why the pound won't work with numerous rescue groups. I know of another country pound that will only work with one person and it means that dogs and no doubt all the cats get euthanased because one person can't generally do it all.

I can't see why the pound won't work with numerous rescue groups. I know of another country pound that will only work with one person and it means that dogs and no doubt all the cats get euthanased because one person can't generally do it all.

It's because we are not "locals" but have moved from elsewhere. There's a huge divide in this area between "locals" and "blow-ins" and we happen to be "blow-ins". The Ranger is a law unto himself and the Council has its collective heads in the sand. The local population doesn't really see a problem with shooting strays and treating them like garbage. Similarly, many local people think it's fine to use disgusting language in public forums when representing a group and resent it when others point out that swearing doesn't appeal to everyone.

I've been in rescue for many years and so has Cryptic. We don't work with our local pound and that's a shame. There's a clear need for more than one rescue group in the area and yet because some people can't see that the welfare of the animals MUST come first, it comes last. "Rescue" doesn't stop at getting a dog from the pound - that's where it starts. Sadly, genuine rescue in this area is shunned because anyone can claim to "rescue" something when they're actually dealing with animals that are given away from the pound and then sold on without vet work having been done. But to point that out, and to correct people who use the term "rescue" when they are not actually upholding rescue's core values, is to ensure the animals miss out because people are too proud to learn how to do things better. :mad

"Rescue" doesn't stop at getting a dog from the pound - that's where it starts. Sadly, genuine rescue in this area is shunned because anyone can claim to "rescue" something when they're actually dealing with animals that are given away from the pound and then sold on without vet work having been done. But to point that out, and to correct people who use the term "rescue" when they are not actually upholding rescue's core values, is to ensure the animals miss out because people are too proud to learn how to do things better. :mad

It is just as well then that the New Rescue Service will be being run correctly, with all vet work being carried out and the core values upheld.

We'll see what happens - but as someone once said, "past behaviour is an indicator of future behaviour". As I've seen here countless times, "rescue" doesn't have the same definition as it does in the broader rescue community. But that's just what I've seen and maybe ethical rescue exists here outside of the groups with which I have experience.

There is more than one ethical rescue group in this region. There are also a number of individuals claiming to be "rescue" which do nothing more than buy and sell dogs and pups. Oh, there are some that also breed litters and call selling their litters "rescue".

"Rescue" doesn't stop at getting a dog from the pound - that's where it starts. Sadly, genuine rescue in this area is shunned because anyone can claim to "rescue" something when they're actually dealing with animals that are given away from the pound and then sold on without vet work having been done. But to point that out, and to correct people who use the term "rescue" when they are not actually upholding rescue's core values, is to ensure the animals miss out because people are too proud to learn how to do things better. :mad

It is just as well then that the New Rescue Service will be being run correctly, with all vet work being carried out and the core values upheld.

So which of the two vets will be doing all this vet work?

So are you just on a vendetta against one individual?? Is that what your posts are about? Because its getting boring....

By all means, feel free to ring North Cowra Veterinary Clinic, and give Loz and Mel your views as to what you think of the new president of GDRR. I'm sure they will give you what you so desperately need.

So are you just on a vendetta against one individual?? Is that what your posts are about? Because its getting boring....

Pardon?

Not at all. I'm simply asking which of the two vets that have small animal practices in Cowra are stepping up to do the vet work. I know both have a fairly hectic schedule. It's a fair question given the population of the town, and the lack of available vets. Anyone who lives in the area would know that.