Opinions On Some Breeds * PUPPY UPDATE PG 4*

dididog

Guest donatella

Apart that most would probably be just over 30kgs I was going to suggest Labs until you said no lab hair! laugh.gif

I may also be one of those awful people who doesn't really like labs... embarrass.gif

Every one I've met has been lovely but I just don't get them!

God me too! I don't know what it is about them but I don't get the hype I find the goldens way more attractive if I was looking into that sort of dog.

Why turn this thread into a Lab hating thread :cry: I don't get people that don't get Labs and I probably don't get some of the breeds these people like either, but I don't feel the need to hate on their breeds just because I don't get them/like them. It gives me the sh*ts when these type of threads turn into a particular breed hating/disparaging exercise. The OP specified up front "I don't need lab-style exuberance" and it should have been left there. :(

Jesus calm the farm, it's called a forum and sharing opinion, there are people that don't like all sorts of breeds suck it up and don't take it personal. No one is lab bashing, get some therapy

OP stated what they were looking for and their preferences including "I don't need lab-style exuberance" which is fine, but people either don't read the posts properly or disregard the OP's preferences and recommend breeds, including Labs, that don't fit the OP's preferences/requirements. Then people like yourself just have to make a totally uncalled for snarky comment on Labs without even recommending a breed that might suit the OP. The OP didn't ask for opinion on Labs, but because people were recommending/mentioning Labs they thought they needed to clarify further why they didn't want a Lab, which they didn't really need to or could have done better as their response only provided people like yourself who obviously don't like Labs, an opportunity to bash them. Of course I don't expect everyone to like Labs, god forbid any more totally unsuitable owners get their hands on our beloved breed, but it gets tiresome when my breed and some others get more than their fair share of bashing on this forum.

As for your comment that I get some therapy, hmmmm pretty unworthy of a response.

You need to pull the emotions out of this man, the OP can state what traits they would like/not like. I don't see any lab bashing, you're taking this too personal

Yeah I've noticed Boxer's put a lot of other dogs off and that their play style is rarely appreciated. Didi loves them though.

We do spend a lot of time offlead with other dogs at the moment so might need to think about that although most working breeds don't really like Didi either.

HW- I absolutely love Braccos! There's one at my obed club who is stunning. I've never considered them seriously though since there's so few of them around. Maybe I'll have a chat to the lady that owns him next time I see them.

With the ESS and WSS- I like both of these breeds a lot too, might be a little small though if the Brittany was? The WSS is a bit low to the ground too, I like leggy dogs!

Dalmation- you know I've come to appreciate them a bit more recently, I'd have to look into them a bit more. Didi has played with a couple and liked them.

With the amstaff- I do actually really like them but with there being a possibility of me moving overseas I don't want a dog that might be banned somewhere I have to move to or have to be worried about DA problems.

As far as I know...

Spinoni may be a little bigger than what you want, but that would be good in terms of playing with Didi. They love water. They are people friendly and biddable. Probably more energetic than Didi, but I think one of the least energetic of the gundogs. Very laid back temperaments.

I have been stalking them for years now, and if you get one I can live vicariously through you :thumbsup:

I really like these guys as well as! There's one at the park and I've always thought he was pretty cool, plays nicely with Didi too. He's pretty big though?

And I'm not sure how much I love their coat but I might look into them a bit more.

Huski- My first dog was either going to be a Viszla or a Wheaten but I somehow ended with Didi instead! I still really love them but I'm under the impression they're more or less as high key as the GSP? And that they can be prone to not coping well being left alone?

OP stated what they were looking for and their preferences including "I don't need lab-style exuberance" which is fine, but people either don't read the posts properly or disregard the OP's preferences and recommend breeds, including Labs, that don't fit the OP's preferences/requirements. Then people like yourself just have to make a totally uncalled for snarky comment on Labs without even recommending a breed that might suit the OP. The OP didn't ask for opinion on Labs, but because people were recommending/mentioning Labs they thought they needed to clarify further why they didn't want a Lab, which they didn't really need to or could have done better as their response only provided people like yourself who obviously don't like Labs, an opportunity to bash them. Of course I don't expect everyone to like Labs, god forbid any more totally unsuitable owners get their hands on our beloved breed, but it gets tiresome when my breed and some others get more than their fair share of bashing on this forum.

As for your comment that I get some therapy, hmmmm pretty unworthy of a response.

Thought I worded my dislike for labs pretty nicely tbh! I literally just said that they were lovely but I didn't get their appeal....

And yeah I did feel the need to clarify because I knew that they fit what I wanted perfectly and that there's a lot of people who recommend them in these threads and I didn't want to get 10 suggestions for a lab or try and convince me to work around the hair when I know I definitely don't want to own one!

HW- I absolutely love Braccos! There's one at my obed club who is stunning. I've never considered them seriously though since there's so few of them around. Maybe I'll have a chat to the lady that owns him next time I see them.

With 2017 as your puppy acquisition date, you have time to explore a rarer breed and get on a wait list!!

Option B - see if you do go overseas and obtain a rare (or not in Oz) breed there!!

Huski- My first dog was either going to be a Viszla or a Wheaten but I somehow ended with Didi instead! I still really love them but I'm under the impression they're more or less as high key as the GSP? And that they can be prone to not coping well being left alone?

I would talk to breeders and see what they say, and meet their dogs too. I tend to find a lot of the dogs like Viszlas, Boxers, GSPs etc often don't have heaps of drive but are 'busy' dogs who enjoy running around and being active. IMO any dog can learn to enjoy their own company, and every dog no matter the breed should get used to having some time alone.

Re-reading your posts I missed the part where you said you didn't want a dog that may be territorial etc. If that's one of the stronger criteria I think gundogs are the better fit temperament wise as opposed to herding breeds, or even terriers who can be a bit more fiery.

With 2017 as your puppy acquisition date, you have time to explore a rarer breed and get on a wait list!!

Option B - see if you do go overseas and obtain a rare (or not in Oz) breed there!!

Those are both good points!

I would talk to breeders and see what they say, and meet their dogs too. I tend to find a lot of the dogs like Viszlas, Boxers, GSPs etc often don't have heaps of drive but are 'busy' dogs who enjoy running around and being active. IMO any dog can learn to enjoy their own company, and every dog no matter the breed should get used to having some time alone.

Re-reading your posts I missed the part where you said you didn't want a dog that may be territorial etc. If that's one of the stronger criteria I think gundogs are the better fit temperament wise as opposed to herding breeds, or even terriers who can be a bit more fiery.

Yeah I'm more after something that's energetic and active and likes doing physical things rather than something that has a burning desire to have something to do all the time. I also wonder sometimes when people say certain breeds don't like being left alone whether that is something that's actually inherent or if it just requires the right management. Didi is such a clingy and tactile dog (head currently tucked under my arm as I type) but she is fine being left alone by herself. Most of my dog acquaintances all live in the city with small yards and busy lives but still manage to make it work with their dogs, even the more high maintenance ones.

At the end of the day though I don't mind having to put a fair bit of work into stimulation and training if the breed I get is friendly and good with strangers because its what I put a higher value on in terms of desired traits.

I know a Vizsla who has some anxiety issues but I can say with certainty it's the owners fault. They pretty much refused to leave the dog alone until it was 18 months...

I know some other Vizslas who are awesome, but those dogs I know all do heaps of dog sports regularly. I don't personally know any "just pet" ones (apart from the one with issues).

Edited by LisaCC

Yeah I'm more after something that's energetic and active and likes doing physical things rather than something that has a burning desire to have something to do all the time. I also wonder sometimes when people say certain breeds don't like being left alone whether that is something that's actually inherent or if it just requires the right management. Didi is such a clingy and tactile dog (head currently tucked under my arm as I type) but she is fine being left alone by herself. Most of my dog acquaintances all live in the city with small yards and busy lives but still manage to make it work with their dogs, even the more high maintenance ones.

At the end of the day though I don't mind having to put a fair bit of work into stimulation and training if the breed I get is friendly and good with strangers because its what I put a higher value on in terms of desired traits.

Realistically most dog owners work and of those working dog owners most work full time. IMO it is about quality not quantity of time spent with them :)

I know a Vizsla who has some anxiety issues but I can say with certainty it's the owners fault. They pretty much refused to leave the dog alone until it was 18 months...

I know some other Vizslas who are awesome, but those dogs I know all do heaps of dog sports regularly. I don't personally know any "just pet" ones (apart from the one with issues).

I know 3 just pet vizslas, and they are all awesome dogs. And all cope with owners working 9-5 :)

I am planning on a Boxer puppy towards the end of next year, because I think they're wonderful and suit what I want (funny, loving, generally love people, big and scary enough looking enough to be a deterrent, good running partner if you get one from the right lines, fab with kids, potentially good pet therapy dogs). I also know that they can be tricky with others dogs as they have a particular play style that other dogs may not appreciate, and their stance etc can be read as an aggressive threat. That's not such an issue to me though as although I don't want a reactive dog, I don't care if he or she is really into playing with other dogs, probably prefer one that was more human than dog focussed anyway.

I have heard of people successfully training Boxers to approach and play with other dogs in a more gentle way. As for health issues, as long as you find a breeder who does the right health tests of breeding stocks (for example, there are two heart tests available, but many breeders only do one), I don't think they are more prone than other purebreds. They tend to be shorter-lived on average, but the breeder I've chosen has healthy 11 and 12 year old ex-breeding stock, so that's a good indicator. When we visited I was completely charmed by the way five big dogs, including a 5 month old puppy greeted us politely, albeit enthusiastically, at the door, enjoyed all my kids' attention and then just calmly hung out in their beds for the rest of our visit. And they didn't smell! No snoring either apart from the more European style girl. And no drooling.

Not sure about water. I remember my husband's Boxer was not a fan at all, but I've seen them splashing around at the beach near us, so maybe it is an individual thing. I don't think they're known for their love of water though.

My other possibility was a Dalmation, thanks to the recommendations I got on my first thread here. I still love them and secretly plan to get one in a few years.

What about a field spaniel? I know technically they are supposed to be between a cocker and a springer size wise, however I met a woman this weekend and her male fieldie is the same size as her english springer and even bigger boned, less coat than a ESS or WSS as well.

I'm not going to chime in too much, as most of what has been posted has been good advice.

I have two Hungarian Vizslas boys and I used to own a Standard Poodle. They're very similar, but the Poodle had a very strong prey drive which could lead to nipping.

My boys are perfect for me, and were chosen to be perfect for me, but they require a lot of time and training. Exercise is essential, but you can still have a jerk of a dog if it doesn't feel tired, or doesn't settle on command.

A Pointer would be my best suggestion. I hope you get a nice sized, smoochy but confident boy!

Tor- I remember reading your thread, glad to see you've met some lovely Boxers :) I don't think the issue of play style would weigh too much on me, Didi is a fan of it and even though we share off lead spaces with lots of other dogs I generally don't seek out strange dogs to play with. The Boxer I spent a fair bit of my childhood with also really disliked water. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal but I'd be pretty bummed if I ended up with a dog that actively disliked water and swimming!

I went on a bit of a Pointer photo spree and remembered how much I like the look of them (though I'm not a huge fan of some of the really dramatic dishy muzzles). They remind me a bit of Didi, every pointer owner I've met has asked if Didi has some in her (I think she probably does). They're definitely the biggest I'd be willing to go though.

How are they offlead? My friend has one and I remember him saying he doesn't like letting her offlead because she is very birdy and will stop listening if she sees one. Obviously training will help but I'd prefer not to be fighting an uphill battle on the recall front.

Edited by Terri S.

I considered Pointers too, but my heart just belongs to Boxers! And I understand the swimming, I'd feel the same way about a dog that didn't want to run.

We have a 3.5 year old Brittany girl. She is really lazy around the house, if she doesn't get a walk for a few days she is still lazy around the house. Generally gets an hours running offlead in the morning with me (her recall and turn commands are excellent but she runs flat out non stop), then hangs out with my husband until he goes to work late afternoon, he will often do some training with her. I don't know how she would go being alone all day, we crate her for the short times no one is home, maybe an hour at a time. She has been known to amuse herself by chewing stuff up if left out. Whereas I go to work in the morning and leave my BCs loose at the other end of the house from roughly 6 months old. Scout is a hunting/field trial dog. We got her specifically from working parents. If I wanted a pet gundog breed they would be at the bottom of my list along with working line spaniels etc, but other lines may be less hunting obsessed and easier to handle when out on "nice walks".

We have a friend with a young Welsh Springer. I really like him for a pet gundog and that breed would be top of my own list for pet gundog. Same with Vizslas. They would have been my second choice for a hunting dog as well as seem to be a good combo of hunting ability (without being off the radar) and snuggly pet.

Firstly, if I get down on my knees and beg, could people please please please spell DALMATIAN correctly. THANK YOU!!:thanks:

Secondly, and far more serious, there are two major health issues in this breed. One is deafness - most reputable breeders have their puppies tested for hearing, but not all can access the machines available to do this accurately. The other issue, and much more important IMHO, is the formation of crystals which can cause total urinary blockage. AFAIK this cannot be tested for. This blockage is life threatening and I have heard of too many instances where owners simply did not realize there was a problem until it was too late...... I have several deaf Dallies (knew all of them were deaf) because I am a total sucker for a needy dog, one of these dogs had a urinary blockage at 2 years old - he's now nearly 12, but is still on a special diet which is not cheap but worth every cent, he is the most delightful dog to live with.

Hope this is useful info Terri, but I don't think you were considering a Dally anyway. Have fun deciding!

Edited by Dogs Are Forever