Opinions On Some Breeds * PUPPY UPDATE PG 4*

dididog

hahaha thank you Dogs Are Forever for saying what I was thinking....lol.

Just my 2c on dallies, DAF raises some good points, the hearing testing is called BAER testing (in case you looked at listings and didn't know what that was) and I would never, ever buy a dally without that testing. No other method is good enough for testing hearing.

On the urate stones/crystals, this is a super common. Especially in males and I was lucky enough to have a female get them! Even with being careful with her diet (intake of purines) she still got them.

Now there are Low Uric Acid (LUA) dalmatians being bred in Australia - first litters were born this April/May. These dogs won't get URATE crystals as they don't have the double of the defective gene like all other dallies do. You can google the LUA project for more info, it is controversial with some people but my stance is this: why would you oppose something that is trying to HELP the health of a breed overall.

Other than that - they fit your size requirements. My girls are 20kg, boys can be around 30kg.

They're athletic as heck, they would run 20kms and want more. They were bred to have stamina, that's not to say that they don't "switch off" though. I find my friends' Aussie Shepherds harder to satisfy as they just want to keep going where my girls will settle down and have a snooze. They have a reputation for being "hyper" but I don't buy it, my dogs are like many other breeds, they have a zoomie sesh in the afternoon and that's it.

My girls don't get walked every day, but then I have a decent yard for them to run in. If I didn't, daily walking would be essential. Cleo is good, but Nala digs and destroys stuff when she's full of beans.

They are intelligent, some more than others :laugh: but not a "dumb" breed by any means.

They can be quite protective of their area, they aren't a guardian breed in terms of rotties or dobermanns, but they were bred to run alongside a coach and protect it. Some dallies (mine) will bark when someone comes to the gate or comes to the door. They don't want to hurt anyone though.

Shedding - they shed twice a year. 6 months at a time :rofl: you don't get a dally unless you want to wear little white hairs on all your black clothing.

A great breed, definitely NOT for anyone. You sound like a very committed owner who could handle a dally though.

Hi, I am the owner of 4 pet Pointers and also help out with Pointer rescue. Love how much thought you are putting into the breed you are looking at getting. Couple of points ( LOL no pun intended!!)....you asked about re call.....they are known for not always having the best re call. Some are much better than others but the re call is something you have to put a lot of time in training for, because if they get on to a bird or get distracted they can become totally deaf. The other is that they shed hair....a lot of hair....and all year round. White hair...on everything LOL!!! The other thing that rang a bell with me is you were hoping for a breed that wouldn't mind missing the odd walk...a Pointer will mind. A young Pointer will mind very very much...and may do some landscape gardening to make up for it ! Young Pointers can be a challenge in the teenage years but once you get them through that they are gold. Although Pointers can, and do, live their lives as only dogs we have found that in all the rescue dogs we have placed that they do better in households with another dog. Some Pointers can be anxious so be careful that you choose a good reputable breeder. This is a wonderful breed and I wouldn't live with any other but not a breed for everyone. Good luck with your research, hope you find the perfect dog to fit.

Apart that most would probably be just over 30kgs I was going to suggest Labs until you said no lab hair! laugh.gif

I may also be one of those awful people who doesn't really like labs... embarrass.gif

Every one I've met has been lovely but I just don't get them!

God me too! I don't know what it is about them but I don't get the hype I find the goldens way more attractive if I was looking into that sort of dog.

Why turn this thread into a Lab hating thread :cry: I don't get people that don't get Labs and I probably don't get some of the breeds these people like either, but I don't feel the need to hate on their breeds just because I don't get them/like them. It gives me the sh*ts when these type of threads turn into a particular breed hating/disparaging exercise. The OP specified up front "I don't need lab-style exuberance" and it should have been left there. :(

:D :D Don't worry too much. Labs are still one of the most popular breeds ever!!!

My breed can get called yappy and bitey and a pest at dog parks. And every second person remembers their granny's silky narking at them when they were kids. LOLOL. People aren't backwards in saying "Eeewwwww a Silky" right to my face. But I bet your labs are welcome everywhere. :laugh:

Just nod and smile. It doesn't really matter.

Hi, I am the owner of 4 pet Pointers and also help out with Pointer rescue. Love how much thought you are putting into the breed you are looking at getting. Couple of points ( LOL no pun intended!!)....you asked about re call.....they are known for not always having the best re call. Some are much better than others but the re call is something you have to put a lot of time in training for, because if they get on to a bird or get distracted they can become totally deaf. The other is that they shed hair....a lot of hair....and all year round. White hair...on everything LOL!!! The other thing that rang a bell with me is you were hoping for a breed that wouldn't mind missing the odd walk...a Pointer will mind. A young Pointer will mind very very much...and may do some landscape gardening to make up for it ! Young Pointers can be a challenge in the teenage years but once you get them through that they are gold. Although Pointers can, and do, live their lives as only dogs we have found that in all the rescue dogs we have placed that they do better in households with another dog. Some Pointers can be anxious so be careful that you choose a good reputable breeder. This is a wonderful breed and I wouldn't live with any other but not a breed for everyone. Good luck with your research, hope you find the perfect dog to fit.

All of this! :laugh: Bless 'em.

Great to see breed-savvy as well as breed-loving information being give in a neat summary. Good example of breed rescue at its best!

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the info on dallies guys - they're lovely looking dogs and the ones I've met have been pretty sweet but I don't see myself owning one! Plus the urinary blockage issue would worry me a bit.

Thanks for all that info, I think after this thread the Boxer and the Pointer are probably the two that would suit me best.

I have no problems with shedding, Didi does enough of that already! With the skipping a walk I more mean if I'm sick or the weather's horrid as opposed to not wanting to walk the dog everyday but I'm also used to a dog that could happily live on house arrest for a week so knowing I don't have that luxury might be something I'll have to adapt to. The recall thing would also be a challenge but not a deal breaker, I prefer on lead walks and have a lot of quiet parks nearby to give a dog a big romp on a long line. I don't mind putting the time in to train a really reliable recall, I'd probably just need some help and guidance to do that properly. I've met a really lovely teenage phase pointer who unfortunately wasn't in the best of hands and I could see how easily all that energy could be channeled into bad behaviour. Didi has been a bit of a handful behaviour wise from 10mths onward and we are starting to come out the otherside so going through a few months of hair-pulling isn't too off putting!

As for the bolded I will be sure to keep that in mind. Having a solid, confident dog is pretty much my main priority which is why I want to give myself enough time to find a breeder whose dogs I really like and to make sure without a doubt they produce dogs with solid temperaments.

Edited by Terri S.

• 2 years later...

Bumping this thread because guess who is getting a puppy in two weeks! I forgot I'd even made this thread but was searching my chosen breed to look at past topics regarding them.

Wonder if anyone can guess which of the many breeds mentioned I ended up selecting?

Can't believe I started preparing for this exactly 2 years ago and now it's all coming together! I think Didi is going to make a very good big sister as well :)

• Like 5

Ahhhh okay I wanted to tease it out a bit longer but yes I am getting a Pointer :)

I did spend the last two years seriously considering Pointers, Brittanies and Boxers and a few other contenders came into the mix (like the German Pinscher) but ultimately decided Pointer was going to be the best fit now and long term. I've found a lovely breeder with lovely dogs and will be bringing home a little boy! Breeder is still evaluating litter so I'm not 100% sure which puppy I'm getting yet but I do know it is between two boys at the moment. I might wait till I definitely know which one to share pics.... but rest assured they are both stinking cute!

• Like 14

Okay well it's finally confirmed.

This is George. He is coming home in a little over a week and I'm already in love!

I flew interstate to meet him last week and took a few photos while we were there. He's just shy of 6 weeks in these :)

tumblr_or8c5li3qR1uao4k2o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_or8c3m6Kt91uao4k2o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_or8c3m6Kt91uao4k2o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_or8bxi3PTc1uao4k2o1_540.jpg

• Like 11

Thanks guys, he's such a lovely puppy, exactly what I was hoping for :)

I hope the next week flies by, I can't wait to bring him home!

23 minutes ago, grizabella said:

He has just the most precious little face! Just gorgeous- you must be over the moon! :love: I can't wait to watch him grow and develop through your photos.

Yes his face makes me melt every time I see it, he has a perfect little spot between his ears for kisses haha.

I'll definitely pop in and update every now and then! I'm hoping he'll turn out a bit like his father who is absolutely stunning :)

• Like 1