Pumpkin Skin

They do not replace wormers, but can help keep worms at bay

Doesn't seem to bother the worms in my garden and compost bin...?

I microwave potatos as an "I can't be stuffed cooking dinner" meal once or twice a week...

I usually scrub the skin and then stab it all over so the potato doesn't explode (no kidding - don't try that with your own microwave - and don't microwave a whole egg either), roll some paper towel around the potato - zap 2 to 3 minutes each side depending on size. Softer veg take less long and if you zap 10 bits of asparagus for 2 minutes they will catch fire. Oops.

But the easiest way with something big like quarter pumpkin is to zap for a couple of minutes and then test with a skewer then zap another couple of minutes... Tho I might actually chop it into smaller bits because it would cook more evenly faster.

But you don't get that nice roasted flavour doing that.

Dont know the science behind it, just know its a thing. + Earth worms are different to intestinal worms.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SAS, That's been a regular part of my dogs diet and produces the same results as coconut oil, calendula tea and the Augustine Approved supplements.

I.e. None

Atopic dogs suck.

I cut them in half (pumpkins, butternuts too), cover the half in clingfoil and microwave each half for 10 - 12 minutes and let them cool a bit if I want to peel them. This tends to not only sweeten them, but make them just soft enough to easily cut the peel off. In this way you could still prep your pumpkin the way you wanted and keep peels oil/salt/spice free for your dogs. Just wrap them in foil and into the oven whilst you're roasting yours works a treat. Makes life so much easier than trying to peel them when hard.

I cut them in half (pumpkins, butternuts too), cover the half in clingfoil and microwave each half for 10 - 12 minutes and let them cool a bit if I want to peel them. This tends to not only sweeten them, but make them just soft enough to easily cut the peel off. In this way you could still prep your pumpkin the way you wanted and keep peels oil/salt/spice free for your dogs. Just wrap them in foil and into the oven whilst you're roasting yours works a treat. Makes life so much easier than trying to peel them when hard.

just want to point out for microwave dunces that clingfoil in this instance means plastic wrap - don't put foil or other metals in the microwave!!!!!!

And to whoever mentioned not putting whole eggs in the microwave - I had some charming friends at uni that decided to take a full dozen eggs out of my fridge at a party and 'race' them in my microwave... ie the last egg not exploded was the winner! That meant at least 11 if not 12 eggs completely destroyed and coated all over the inside of my microwave :(

OMG Aliwake

Hope they bought you a new one. :(

Nah, typical uni party behaviour I'm afraid... I must have wiped the cleaning part from my memory - I'm sure it wasn't fun! I do distinctly remember being very unimpressed at the time though!

My nickname used to be shirty with good reason!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very cautiously going to say I think we have had an improvement as dog has not required pred....will update if there is anything to update.

How's it going Sas :)

He has had 1 pred since, so not too bad.

I wonder how much active ingredient is present in /obtained from, pumpkin skin eaten as food ? perhaps a dog would need to eat 1 kg to get any effect ???? :)

Not according to this person at training who was telling me about it. I think he just started adding it to her meal, like a normal serve. He has been at his wits end with his dog's red itchy feet & someone suggested this & it worked. He stopped giving it to her, to see what would happen & the red feet came back, then went again when he started feeding her the pumpkin skin again. I will ask more of him next time I see him.

Just wondering if you have any more information from this person, I have a friend with a staffy who is very interested in this?

I had funky smell Ernie which turned out to be mostly anal glands. I had been giving uncultured yoghurt to combat the after effects of antibiotics as he had a yeasty smell and itchy flaky skin - first time ever. I started back on the pumpkin last week and the smell is gone, tho his skin is still a bit flaky so I'll give it another week and brush him every night in case it's just leftover.

I wonder how much active ingredient is present in /obtained from, pumpkin skin eaten as food ? perhaps a dog would need to eat 1 kg to get any effect ???? :)

Not according to this person at training who was telling me about it. I think he just started adding it to her meal, like a normal serve. He has been at his wits end with his dog's red itchy feet & someone suggested this & it worked. He stopped giving it to her, to see what would happen & the red feet came back, then went again when he started feeding her the pumpkin skin again. I will ask more of him next time I see him.

Just wondering if you have any more information from this person, I have a friend with a staffy who is very interested in this?

Unfortnately he hasn't been back to training since then.