Bunnings Compost Panels

Sheridan

Can someone please take a photo of their Bunning 'compost panels' or tell me what they're really called? My local Bunnings has no idea what these are. They have a pile of wire panelling but given people talk about these as if they're a cheap puppy pen, I don't know anything I'm looking at is what DOLers are describing. They're a minimum of $40-65 each.

Edited by Sheridan

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/158990-bunnings-wire-compost-bins-as-a-puppy-pen-big-thumbs-up/page__view__findpost__p__3411277

This came up in a Google image search - gotta love DOL! :laugh:

They are/were called compost cages, and came in packs of 4 panels. We were buying them as recently as November last year, but I haven't been able to find them when searching on the Bunning's website for a long time, so no idea of their availability now.

We connect them with wire netting clips, or cable ties rather than the connecters that they come with, makes them a bit more secure at the joins :)

Mine had them for about $30 but they aren't on the website, out in the garden section. The box actually had puppies on them from what I remember, I think they clued in to what people were using them for. I would take a picture but they are packed away out in the shed.

For anyone else who's looking .. they're with the worm farms, compost tumblers in our Bunnings down here. Pack of 4 panels ... maybe $28 or so.

Edited by Tassie

I brought some about a week and a half ago from the Bunnings in Cranbourne. $30 now for the four panels. Can't beat that. :) They are with the compost bins down at ground level and not always easy to spot. Dandenong didn't have any but Cranbourne had a ton. This is in Vic.

Bunnings at Rosebud Victoria had no idea what I was talking about either and I couldn't find anything that resembled them :/

Compost cages, in the aisle with other composty stuff (usually hidden away on a bottom shelf).

I use them to keep the dogs out of certain areas of the front yard when we're trying to regrow grass in the summer or keep the dogs out of the mud in winter. They're not terribly sturdy (I use cable ties as those spiral rings are annoying and useless) so they get used strictly for blocking things that aren't dangerous but I want the dogs away from.

Bunnings at Rosebud Victoria had no idea what I was talking about either and I couldn't find anything that resembled them :/

Compost cages, in the aisle with other composty stuff (usually hidden away on a bottom shelf).

I use them to keep the dogs out of certain areas of the front yard when we're trying to regrow grass in the summer or keep the dogs out of the mud in winter. They're not terribly sturdy (I use cable ties as those spiral rings are annoying and useless) so they get used strictly for blocking things that aren't dangerous but I want the dogs away from.

Maddy if you're using them on the lawn or in the garden, a couple of tent pegs driven in each side makes them fairly sturdy when set up in a square or octagon. To close off part of a garden while regrowing it I've even been known to wire them up to a few star pickets! lol

Maddy if you're using them on the lawn or in the garden, a couple of tent pegs driven in each side makes them fairly sturdy when set up in a square or octagon. To close off part of a garden while regrowing it I've even been known to wire them up to a few star pickets! lol

We've tried that and found that it didn't stop determined greyhounds from nudging them over to go climb on the compost pile or do zoomies in the mud :/ That said.. we have the worst possible soil for pegs. In summer, the clay is like concrete and getting a peg in requires a mallet. In winter, after a few good rains, it's a bog that doesn't dry out again until November.

At one point, we fenced off an area using star pickets driven as deep as we could and that construction tape stuff (this stuff) cable tied through the holes in the pickets, all the way to the bottom. Despite that, the fresh soil/new grass seeds seemed really kicked around after a few days and some covert surveillance revealed one foster dog was getting on her belly and slowly worming her way under so that she could enjoy rolling around in the fresh soil :mad Since then, we've given up on trying too hard to have a decent lawn :laugh:

If anyone who has spotted them in Bunnings recently can you get a photo of the box and barcode? My substitute was individual panels but they were $15 each. I could do with some more so IDing them to Bunnings would be really useful.

If anyone who has spotted them in Bunnings recently can you get a photo of the box and barcode? My substitute was individual panels but they were $15 each. I could do with some more so IDing them to Bunnings would be really useful.

We've got a friend waiting on a dachshund puppy and I've recommended these to her assuming they were still available. OH works for bunnings (Marketing) so I'll get him to look up the system and check for her and you.