Raising Two Puppies At Once

Sheridan

In other news, Bunny went for her first walk today. We walked around the block. She was very good, though a bit unsure of herself. My first dog that walks on a loose lead! That's pretty exciting! She kept her attention on me most of the time and got lots of treats. We're going for a walk with another kerry blue tomorrow and might try a dog show on Saturday.

Mr Roo visited my work where he was cuddled and universally admired.

Edited by Sheridan

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roo is only 11.5 weeks old if I'm calculating right, I think he probably just isn't old enough yet to be giving clear signs when he needs to wee. Baby puppies do literally just suddenly go when try need to, they can't fully control it and by the time they realise they need to go they are already going.

I haven't done two puppies at once but I have done four puppies in four years and unfortunately wee on the floor is just part of the deal. You just have to try and be as patient as you can and keep up taking them out regularly, making a big fuss whenever you catch them going outside (I used to keep a container of treats in reach of the door so I could reward with them as well as praise) and no fuss, just quietly clean up when they go inside.

I stopped with even trying to interrupt and get them outside until they were a bit older and I could see it start to click for them as I found no attention at all for going inside vs lots of great things for going outside seemed to make it clearer to them that it was worth making the effort to go outside.

Roo is only 11.5 weeks old if I'm calculating right, I think he probably just isn't old enough yet to be giving clear signs when he needs to wee. Baby puppies do literally just suddenly go when try need to, they can't fully control it and by the time they realise they need to go they are already going.

I haven't done two puppies at once but I have done four puppies in four years and unfortunately wee on the floor is just part of the deal. You just have to try and be as patient as you can and keep up taking them out regularly, making a big fuss whenever you catch them going outside (I used to keep a container of treats in reach of the door so I could reward with them as well as praise) and no fuss, just quietly clean up when they go inside.

I stopped with even trying to interrupt and get them outside until they were a bit older and I could see it start to click for them as I found no attention at all for going inside vs lots of great things for going outside seemed to make it clearer to them that it was worth making the effort to go outside.

11 weeks and two days! Thanks for that note of hang on, only a baby. He does actually go when I get him outside. It's just frustrating, as you can imagine. When I read your post I gave myself a 'This is why you got tiles' smack over the head. On a bright note, they are going in their lounge crates voluntarily today. Roo has a hissy about being in there but settles down almost immediately.

Bunny has been having a ZOMG! WHAT IS THAT THING! barky meltdown at the vacuum cleaner which I left at the back door. Now I've put the hose away she's calmed down but now Roo is attacking it. I'm having trouble not laughing at them.

Toilet training will probably be the most frustrating part of having pups... but trust me when I say that it WILL click one day in the not too distant future.

Focus on all the good things they are learning and doing and don't overthink the toilet training part, OK? Puppies are to be enjoyed fully... they don't stay little and funny cute forever!

T.

Toilet training will probably be the most frustrating part of having pups... but trust me when I say that it WILL click one day in the not too distant future.

Focus on all the good things they are learning and doing and don't overthink the toilet training part, OK? Puppies are to be enjoyed fully... they don't stay little and funny cute forever!

T.

True, then they become teenagers and frustrate even more! :laugh:

I share your frustrations Sheridan it does get better!! Our puppy is now 17 weeks and we thought having the older two might assist toilet training Dante.. Yeh no.. Its only now he gets the toileting outside and we can read his signals. He would just sit and pee. No warning, nothing. We took him out everytime he woke up, played, had a drink, ate.. Then every 30-60 mins.. Dante is much better now but we still have to watch him. It does click eventually :)

how did you manage the other puppy with one on lead?

The older pup just kind of mooched around .. he had free access to outside, as he wasn't an escaper. When they were together with me supervising outside, they played lots, with me an with each other.

BTW .. loving the way you're organising their visiting the big wide world. :thumbsup:

My pups don't mooch. A collar or lead on one means tug of war.

It was Roo's turn to stay at home today. Bunny had a walk with another kerry then she had a little grooming done. The big one for today was that we went into the city as I had to go to the post office. People walked past her and completely ignored her. #miffed a couple of ladies stopped and coo-ed but mostly it was just people walking past. I snuck her into the PO and didn't pick up a parcel in case they noticed her. She did very well given it was a totally new situation and she's a bit of a scaredy pup atm.

Question: what do people think of limiting puppy water intake at night? I've been reading the K9Pro blog and Steve limits water after 8 pm to stop puppies having a full bladder at night.

In other news, for the third time in a week I have to wash my sneakers as I've stepped in poo at night. To put a positive spin on it, at least it was outside.

I don't have water in with pups at night (because it ends up being a play thing) but they do have opportunities to drink until just before we go to bed (anytime between 10pm-12pm). Ginny certainly shows zero interest in drinking first thing in the morning. In Summer I definitely wouldn't restrict them.

Question: what do people think of limiting puppy water intake at night? I've been reading the K9Pro blog and Steve limits water after 8 pm to stop puppies having a full bladder at night.

In other news, for the third time in a week I have to wash my sneakers as I've stepped in poo at night. To put a positive spin on it, at least it was outside.

Dogs here in crate overnight have no water, but they do have access to water until crate doors are closed (about 10.30 to 11pm). If your pups are already sleeping through the night, I wouldn't bother with restricting water.

With the outside poos decorating shoes, that can happen when it is dark. My solution is wearing slippers indoors after sunset, pair of gumboots near back door for wearing outside. Gumboots stay outside - if I've stepped in something gross, then I clean them the next morning, but meanwhile they stay outside the back door, on a gumboot shelf that the horror chewers can't reach.

I stopped water after 10.00 last night not long before we went to bed. Roo is a bit of a water fiend, though. I thought 8.00 sounded very early to stop water access. They're waking me up around 4-5 at the moment and Bunny is not pleased when I put her back to bed. If they can settle on 5-5.30 that is good for work as I start at 7-7.30.

My neighbour tells me she heard Roo whimpering and crying yesterday while I was out with Bunny. I said to ignore it. He won't be doing it the whole time I'm gone because he'll end up going to sleep.

One day next week I'll be putting them outside for the whole day to see what happens.

Omigod, must share. The puppies were asleep in their lounge crates, doors open, and I didn't notice Roo get up. He walked around through the kitchen to go to the back door. I still didn't notice. Then HE CAME TO GET ME!

!!!