Raising Two Puppies At Once

Sheridan

Does she start drooling even before you start moving? I had one that used to do that, so I kinda desensitised her by opening the car door, letting her in it, and just sitting there for a few minutes. We progressed to then having the car running but not moving for a few minutes, then up to backing down the drive and back again. Short trips up and down the road or around the block, etc... built it up to a point where I could drive for nearly an hour before she vommed... lol!

T.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

????????????????????????????????

Poor Bunny, we went out again tonight and yes, drool as soon as she got into the crate. I have tried putting her on the back seat. I've tried crate on the back seat and in the boot. Tonight she threw up the tablet and the ginger biscuit.

Some of my vommy fosters used to do a little better if I placed the crate right in the middle of the back seat - facing so they can see out the front windscreen from the crate door mesh.

If it is fear, you are going to have to try desensitisation exercises like I outlined in a previous post...

T.

Roova, yes, but it's a different crate. Her home crates (plural) are 36" wire crates but the travel crate is a PP40. I couldn't get a 36" crate in and have two dogs in the car. I'm planning to get a Blackhound variocage but until I resolve what's scaring her there's no point.

Today I just sat in the boot with her with the door open, no crate. She was very scared, very flat tail, and she drooled a bit. She ate the treats I gave her but she's very tired now because she gets so stressed. I was all high pitched and happy and loose lead, talking to her the whole time. It didn't help that Roo was howling and barking in the yard about being left out. He also does the same when they're in the car.

If I had a front fence I could leave the car open and just let her go in when she felt like it.

Edited by Sheridan

My girl had terrible car sickness, hated the car (picture each leg going different directions to stop me from her from getting in) I had to gradually build up the time spent in the car. It did take about 10 months before she decided the car was fun and we haven't had vomit for the longest time. But I haven't taken her on any long trips (over 40 minutes).

Sounds like you're taking things slowly, fingers crossed it wont be long and she'll be running to the car for a ride

Could you try what you did today and include Roo in the exercise - as he doesn't seem to have issues with the car and will act his normal goofy self during the exercise. It may distract her from her fear issues to have him showing no fear - and maybe even a small play rumble between them in the back area... a tug toy or something as a distraction for her?

T.

More treats in the stationary car today after a short walk and though the tail was flat there was only a little bit of salivation. I did spray some Adaptil in the back around 15 minutes beforehand. Don't know if it helped. Roo was inside so he wasn't as loud. Tomorrow I'll put them both in and see if she's the same. I'll also get some Rescue Remedy and there's a product called Calm which has been recommended. Would a thundershirt help at all, do you think?

Roo and I ran up and down the walkway pretending we were at a dog show. He was mostly loose lead, which was great, and he even did a stand (as opposed to his natural sit) for me. I managed to stack him (badly) for about 10 seconds!

I had a foster puppy once who got intensly carsick, drool and then shortly after projectile liquid out both ends after only a very short time in the car. So to fix this I first fed him his dinner near the car with the boot open, then progressed to dinner every night in the car parked, we just sat in the back and he ate, then back out again as soon as he was done. Once he was ok with that I would turn the car on and let him eat with the engine running. Then onto engine running with doors closed. After that I would put him in, drive a few meters then give him his dinner while the engine was still going. Next I would drive to the end of the street and back before feeding. Once he could happily go around the block I would start taking him on other short trips during the day to very fun places where we go for a walk. I made sure to never take him on any long trips that would make him sick, always keep him within comfort levels. About that time is when he found his new home but he was making good progress with being comfortable in the car and wanted to get in the car instead of avoiding it by then.

I hope she gets over this soon for you, it is a yuk situation for you both :(

Chances are its the crate . Plus the PP40 would be a fairly tight fit for the age of your pup now .Plastic crates are very enclosed compared to the wire.

Keep in mind your pup may not show lose lead in the ring,all my show pups are taught with the lead on top of there head at first & once shown a few times & there have adapted well to all the distractions we start to move the lead to a preferred position .

Oh Bunny girl. Went to training this morning. She drooled all the way there. She wasn't interested in the treats, not interested in me, very keen on roo poo until I picked some up and offered her some, interested then not in the other dogs. The one time I got her to behave, one of the other trainees brought her reactive dog into our space without realising. The trainer suggested bringing a toy but they don't allow ones with squeakers as they're too distracting for other dogs. I also tried a squeaky toy when we went to Pet Barn after and it didn't hold her interest. What to do?