Elimination Diet

So Sarah's skin has always been a little oily and a little itchy but it's not something I've worried about. However after surgery on her eye lid a couple of weeks ago she went without her normal fortnightly bath and has had a cone on for most of that time. Since the cone has come of she's scratching up a storm and has a hot spot on the side of her face.

Vet visit yesterday identified lots of yeast and bacteria so she's now on steroids and antibiotics and she had a nice malasab bath and blow dry last night (the cone also went back on)

So the vet suggested we try her on an elimination diet sooner rather than later, I'm inclined to agree with him however Sarah has a pretty varied diet so where do I find a new protein source that is easy to get?

She currently gets roo, chicken, beef and tuna (probably in that order of most to least common).

I was thinking of putting her on lamb but that's pretty common for allergies as well.

OH suggested keeping her on tuna for 6 weeks but that would up her salt intake a lot as I get the cans in brine

Any suggestion? I'm after something reasonably inexpensive as the OH can be hard to sway when it comes to spending lots of money on the dogs

For carbs I think I'll go with sweet potato and pumpkin, she doesn't get any of that at the moment.

At this point we don't know for sure that it's a food allergy but we have to start somewhere.

Prime have just brought out a Crocodile and Tapioca roll that is designed for elimination diets and super sensitive dogs. Might be worth exploring. Their Roo and Potato is less expensive and very good but if she's had roo it might not help.

Venison as an option?

One of our staff used salmon and sweet potato which helped start things.

Sags

:)

Prime have just brought out a Crocodile and Tapioca roll that is designed for elimination diets and super sensitive dogs. Might be worth exploring. Their Roo and Potato is less expensive and very good but if she's had roo it might not help.

Venison as an option?

Sags

Thanks sags, I did hear about the croc and tapioca roll but I couldn't find it on the internet for sale anywhere. Might have to look in some actual pet stores

Where did your staff member get the salmon from, canned or fresh?

Does she get much fish? Fish heads and offcuts and sardines etc are pretty cheap from good fishmongers.

Pumpkin might be a good idea, esp the thread on the skins going at the moment. Interesting stuff!

How about turkey? Shanks are pretty readily avail at coles, there's a place in Oakleigh that do lots of turkey incl necks and frames etc...

Tasman meats are another good one, when you decide on one they do bulk, cheap meat including a lot of doggy bits.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head!

Edited by Steph M

Venison as an option?

Sags

Thanks sags, I did hear about the croc and tapioca roll but I couldn't find it on the internet for sale anywhere. Might have to look in some actual pet stores

Where did your staff member get the salmon from, canned or fresh?

Fresh salmon from a fishmonger.

Suggest give Prime a call and see who is close to you that stocks it. We do, but not sure where you are.

Remember with an elimination diet you need to stick to just one novel protein at a time. Keep in contact with your vet to see how long they recommend sticking to each protein for before adding new ingredients or switching.

If she currently gets roo, chicken, beef and tuna then that rules all of them out.

Try the lamb if that's the easiest for you to get. She might not react to it at all.

Other options that might be easier to get could be venison, goat or turkey. Have you got any local butchers near by that you could go in and have a browse?

Edited by LisaCC

was she itchy all over- or mainly on face.?

Hot spots are not surprising after a period of having a cone on - the skin stays warmer and more moist ...

did you consider food may not be a problem ? it may be her body now 'getting rid of' the after effects of a GA , any antibiotics , and general change. ;)

Does your vet usually do well with allergies/skin things ?

if she were mine , I'd be just feeding fresh , with a probiotic .. and some ester C ...... lots of exercise ....avoiding heat on the skin not bathing too much ..to see what happens ...

she's usually a bit itchy but not this bad, her fur gets pretty oily as well, I could easily bath her weekly if I could be bothered

not sure how the vet goes with allergies, we've not had a problem before.

I was just at a grooming conference and a vet dermatologist did a talk on identifying skin and ear issues in dogs. Most of the causes comes back to allergies either environmental or food and an elimination diet is really just to rule out a food allergy

Years ago when I did an elimination trial with my boy, the derm dept reccomended hills z/d or now you could use royal canin hypoallergenic only for 6 weeks, then followed by a two week introduction of one protein. If a reaction occurred, two weeks back on the biscuits then trial a different protein, and continue this. Horse , camel, goat and rabbit are different protein available!

Don't forget that a food trial is not just a novel protein but it also has to be a novel carb otherwise it doesn't make sense.

As the Nutriscan is available I'm not sure why anyone would put themselves through the torture of a 6 week food elimination trial.

Don't forget that a food trial is not just a novel protein but it also has to be a novel carb otherwise it doesn't make sense.

As the Nutriscan is available I'm not sure why anyone would put themselves through the torture of a 6 week food elimination trial.

I wouldn't simply because the science behind Nutriscan still hasn't been released as a scientific publication yet. The website says they are preparing the data for that to happen, well I would wait for that to happen and be peer reviewed.

I wouldn't simply because the science behind Nutriscan still hasn't been released as a scientific publication yet. The website says they are preparing the data for that to happen, well I would wait for that to happen and be peer reviewed.

LOL right, so instead of using a test created by the worlds leading animal scientist....do an elimination diet incorrectly like most people do.

LOL right, so instead of using a test created by the worlds leading animal scientist....do an elimination diet incorrectly like most people do.

Or you could do it correctly? I don't think wanting scientific backup provided before undertaking an expensive test is such a bad thing?

Or you could do it correctly? I don't think wanting scientific backup provided before undertaking an expensive test is such a bad thing?

Agree with Steph. I would like to know also. if its as accurate as those "what breed is my mutt" DNA tests then i would personally steer clear laugh.gif

It is $300, still takes 2-3 weeks for a result and thats not including the time it takes to post a kit here and back.

And an elimination diet does not have to be done incorrectly.

Um yeah -- why would she do it INCORRECTLY? She's from all indications intelligent and committed to her dog's health - is it hard to do? I did an elimination diet for my anstaff and while not fun, I followed the rules and we worked out that Georgia couldn't have chicken. And I'm no rocket scientist.