Channel 7 News Tonight

It is a high risk situation and inevitable that there would be an incident when dozens of dogs run together like that. I feel for the owner as they obviously trusted a professional establishment (though as others have said I would never leave my dog at a place like that). Many owners don't realise the danger of running a group of dogs together, that's why dog parks can be so dangerous.

I think this is the most important point. None of the owners realise the danger. And quite possibly the staff do not either.

And it is a huge shame that such an amazing concept is not reaching its potential- the idea of pet dogs getting to do fun stuff with their owners.

Honesty and a desire to ensure a situation will not happen again are the most important ingredients in any accident or mishap. Be it through naivety or any other cause the centre has thus far not achieved this.

Edited by Jumabaar

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The clinical notes from autopsy (autopsy itself is noted as too distressing to share).

post-21433-0-51767600-1434017908_thumb.jpg

I personally cannot comprehend the decision to put a small, older dog (who also happened to be DEAF!) in with all those large boisterous dogs. Even if they were all temp tested etc, the risk of injury purely from dogs being dogs would be enough to make me think twice about the combinations I saw. What if the small dog was swimming in the dam and a larger dog jumped in on top of it? Or knocked it over while running and playing? A deaf dog would not even hear them approaching in time to get out of the way. If a situation was arising between a few dogs, the poor thing would not have heard any growling etc either.

Such a terrible tragedy that is made worse by the fact that it could have been avoided with a little common sense on the part of the "professionals". Joe Public cannot always be relied on to know what is best for their dog, that is why they place their trust in the professionals.

Such a terrible tragedy that is made worse by the fact that it could have been avoided with a little common sense on the part of the "professionals". Joe Public cannot always be relied on to know what is best for their dog, that is why they place their trust in the professionals.

Most professionals I know shudder at the idea of "doggie day care". A bunch of dogs of varying sizes and temperaments running around under the "supervision" of someone with minimal dog knowledge is an accident waiting to happen. And sadly, they do. :(

Most professionals I know shudder at the idea of "doggie day care". A bunch of dogs of varying sizes and temperaments running around under the "supervision" of someone with minimal dog knowledge is an accident waiting to happen. And sadly, they do. :(

Exactly :(

We don't even let our pack run together all at the same time because accidents can happen when large numbers of dogs are running together. If the border collies are free running they are in groups of no more than 4 and the little dogs are well and truly put away so they do not get run over and trampled. I would never allow mine to free run with that many dogs, it scares me enough the number of agility/flyball clubs that free run all the dogs together at the end of training. So much that could go wrong in a split second.

Guest donatella

Oh god I started to read the Facebook comments and have had to stop after a response to someone asking why the small and large dogs were left to run together. Some bright spark thinks it's ok as 'do you send your kids to school and ask for the young ones, old ones and fat ones to be separated'

Poor baby I wish people would realise these places are not better then a safe home environment for the dog to chew and sleep!

Judging by many of the comments on FD's Facebook page, some owners do not wish to be educated and have attacked anyone showing common sense in this matter. They are going to continue sending their dogs there no matter what has happened. More fool them but it's the dogs that pay the price for their stupidity.

Guest donatella

I had to stop reading, those people are idiots. Hopefully pressure on for better management. I bet they don't know the attacking dog either so it will only be a matter of time until it happens again

I had to stop reading the comments too :(

I would never personally leave my dog at one of these facilities, hell I cringe and have to step away from the computer when I come across trainers who take dogs on for training without their owners present! These can often be the same people who offer 'daycare' services. There are so many things that can go wrong, it just makes my brain hurt.

Yes, I actually did a trial shift at a (relatively) well run day care with a quite knowledgeable owner, there were lots of separate spaces, dogs were temp tested on intake and were divided by size, age, temp, play style etc and there were private spaces where individual dogs could be put if needed and I STILL spent the whole time feeling so anxious watching even the small groups of dogs from different families running together that I couldn't work there.

It also concerned me that even though the owner/manager was dog savvy some of the staff were apparently just enthusiastic pet owners who didn't have prior experience working with dogs, as trained and experienced staff were just not available to employ.

I'm in no way saying that the owner wasn't doing a great job, I think the set up was probably about as good as you could get given the limitations of running such a place as a business but the whole concept is just too fraught with danger for my liking. I think even more dangerous than a dog park as at least at a park the dog to human ratio is lower.

I'd love to do a really properly set up daycare but I just can't see how it would be financially viable.

Re. This case, the autopsy (necropsy) does sound pretty conclusive :( I wondered about the damage being done post-mortem too but haemorraging, bruising and congestion make it seem pretty apparent the dog was alive when injured. Poor little thing.

I really hope the truth comes out, an accidental death resulting from an attack is bad but trying to cover it up is really inexcusable (if that is what's happened).

Edited by Simply Grand

People do get sold terrible lies :( I feel sorry for the owners who thought they were doing something good for their little dog.

and

Does anyone remember what he was like before he got spellcheckers and media people?

I'll never forget this thread :doh: :doh: And the plagiarised article this 'expert' wrote. Why people give him the time of day is testament to how well good PR team can do their magic.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/228373-dogs-not-to-buy/page__p__5548358__hl__%2Bfarmer+%2Bdave__fromsearch__1#entry5548358

edit; the page itself was taken down but it's still cached forever ;-)

cached version (same thing as Dol post quote)

Edited by Powerlegs

This is just one incident that has occurred at this centre. I know of many others. Pet owners need to be aware of the huge risk they place their dogs under letting them run in packs that size.

How a "professional" can place a small Cavalier into a big pack of large and giant dogs is totally beyond my comprehension.

The naive and ignorant comments on the FB page are just astounding. Any comment defending Wags or asking questions regarding negligence are deleted and blocked.

They were totally negligent in their duty of care.

Poor Wags and his owners :(

That poor little dog :(

Sid is deaf and I'll only ever let him run with two dogs - Lola and my parents MS. That's it. It still baffles me how people thinking running big packs like that is ok.

First I've heard of this shocking story.

To let a large number of dogs of varying sizes run around together like a free for all is IMO so unprofessional. I'm very surprised that there aren't more tragedies like this one occurring. Little dogs don't stand a chance. If they aren't run over firstly, it only takes one larger dog to have a brain snap, grab smaller dog & one head shake... all over in a split second.I have seen this happen at our local leash free & have NEVER forgotten it.

As Delta Charlie has also kindly brought to our attention this little fella was deaf. Couldn't even hear them coming to be able to get out of the way & folks are paying these "professionals" to take CARE of their dog's ?

RIP dear little Wags...:(

Edited by BC Crazy

What a sad story. It makes me sick to my stomach to think of the terror Wags must have felt in his final moments.

There's no way I could imagine turning a small dog loose to run with multiple larger dogs. I have German Shepherds and they play rough. The risk of even accidental injury would be too much for me.

And if a fight does break out in that situation, the small dog wouldn't have a chance. I once watched a rottie break the back of our cat with a few shakes of its head. That took mere seconds, and even though I was only meters away, by the time I stopped the dog from attacking her, I was too late.

I was on the FB page and I had to stop reading. I think some people simply prefer to live with blinkers on. I don't know how you could say the presence of puncture wounds found during the necropsy, would indicate anything but the fact Wags had been bitten by another dog.

Edited by YippeeGirl

Any animal professional could have reasonably foreseen a high level of risk in a small dog running loose with a group of large dogs. Not even from attacks necessarily - a large dog without the spatial awareness of small dog could seriously hurt them if running in to/over them.

Accidents happen in any kind of animal care situation, even with the best of care, but this wasn't the best of care.