Channel 7 News Tonight

I am constantly amazed by people who leave their dogs at a facility they have not even seen, sometimes on the recommendation of a friend of a friend or (forgive me) because some anonymous person on the Internet recommended it. Sometimes it might even be that the facility organises convenient pickups, such as a vets, which people think means the place is okay.

sas That photo of the accommodation provided horrifies me. No way would my dogs be going to a place like that.

Best thing I ever did was ask you folks for kennel recommendations.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought there had to be some sort of standard / number limitation / licence for running a boarding facility?

This obviously contravenes everything.

Is there a standard? Are they inspected? Do they have to be registered?

are you sure that's where the dogs sleep?

I an not personally sure. But I have been to that facility a number of times & dont recall seeing kennekekennels or runs. There certainly is at front of property but they belong to box hill lodge, i believe.

I an not personally sure. But I have been to that facility a number of times & dont recall seeing kennekekennels or runs. There certainly is at front of property but they belong to box hill lodge, i believe.

I've asked them, that will settle it, if I get an answer.

Yep, from what I understand from a number of different sources who have been there the crates are used for overnight sleeping and there is also a shed type (that is a more recent addition if it exists) area for communal sleeping.

Edited by sas

I've asked them, that will settle it, if I get an answer.

Good luck getting something half truthful, doesn't seem to be something they excel at lately but will be interesting to hear their public response to where free range dogs sleep.

I have a large desexed male Labrador. I can call him off mid chase and leave a piece of chicken 6cm from his nose and he won't touch it.

He's compliant and soft.

He's submissive and ingratiating with other dogs. He's also pushy and over enthusiastic in his dog to dog greetings - he's still very much a puppy.

I look at that photo of the swimming dogs and shudder. I cannot fathom how anyone can control what happens with that many dogs. Even though they all look like Labradors and BCs - I still think my poor boy would be toast.

One wrong move.

Do people think dogs are furry people or something?

Edited by Stressmagnet

Oh dear those pics make me shudder crates on top of each other for boarding and then all those dogs in the pool and on the ramp what would happen if an all out brawl happened so close to and in the water. Just really puts me off to there way of doing things.

Oh wow Kavik, that's like 5mn drive from my place, I didn't realise you were so close.

Doesn't look that great either... I believe in the past that space was divided into smaller enclosures and dogs segregated based on activity level and size?

I checked their FB page; why would you put up a video of a dog howling, surrounded by barking ones? They all seem so stressed...

Maybe I should start threatening my two with going to daycare!

OK - I understand that people don't like daycare and thats fine.

But its also unfair to tar all of these facilities with the same brush. As people know daycare for me has been a Godsend during the new build when it looked like I was going to lose my tenuous accommodation due to nuisance barking. It breaks up the westies week while I'm at work and means Mac at almost 16 gets more supervision and much more care than if he is at home alone. He's safer and happier supervised at daycare than if he was at home alone.

The dogs are separated by size and temperament and those with special needs like Mac get special attention such as naps in the staff room. Their groomer has also taken on his grooming after he got kicked out of his previous groomer. ('We're frightened he'll drop dead on us' and they said they couldn't groom him because they can't use a restraint because of his LP and he's become a bit grumpy as he's got older). Grooming for an old dog like Mac works well in this setting as their lovely groomer does him gently and in short stages during the day.

The dogs are always supervised by trained supervisors - never once in the 18 months when I have been there unannounced at all hours of the day have the dogs been unsupervised. Its well run, the dogs are calm and happy and my guys are always really happy when I drop them off and pick them up. They are happy when I watch through the observation window - which is almost every time I arrive or depart unless I'm running late. And I haven't heard of any accidents or incidents - not one. Never once have I observed anything that has concerned me - and yes I know there is always a first time as Wags death shows (RIP poor little puppy).

I weigh up the risk and I recognise that accidents may still happen. Yet I still find it interesting that accidents happen more frequently at other places where there is far less supervision like at home (rarely discussed in the same away as this) or at dog parks. And in the case of dog parks a far greater proportion of silly owners and uncontrolled dogs yet it doesn't create anywhere near the 'discussion' that daycare does.

So just saying that those of you lucky enough to be home, or work from home with your dogs full or part time are in a different position to those of us who have to work long hours out of home. And those who have never used a well run daycare maybe should use one before lumping them all into the same boat. The well run daycare like the one I use is a life-saver.

Flame suit on. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

I think facilities like the one you go to Westiemum are great, and when you've weighed up the pros and cons it's something that works for you. I don't think anyone is going to flame you for that. If you put dear old Mac into one of these free range day cares with multi sized dogs together and inadequate supervision, that would be another story.

Thank you Jemmy and yes absolutely: I would never put any of my dogs into a 'free range' daycare. I checked them out to within an inch of their lives when I first decided to try them - in desperation to try to curb Andy's nuisance barking in the house-sit. And I received email updates throughout the day the first couple of times we were there and once when they had a query about one of them - I've forgotten which one now. It worked so well I put the other two westies in as well.

And my day care has 4 - 5 staff on at any one time including the groomer and they work well as a team. I think Mac in particular is at less risk at daycare than he is at home on his own.

Thanks Snook - and I'm so sorry that happened to Justice - but that is exactly my point. No place is completely safe. I said very clearly, it could still happen at the dog park, at daycare, on a walk, at the groomers or at home so you weigh up the risks and make the best decisions you can. I said very clearly that I understand it could still happen to my westies - but it could happen elsewhere too. In my case a young builder's contractor at home managed to let Andy and Sarah out recently while I was at work and Andy was headed for Fullarton Road! And that was at home. So daycare is safer for Mac than being at home on his own and is safer than the dog park or the groomers for that matter.

And as I said 'it is' well run - not 'it appears to be' - and yes I've done more than my due diligence on the place. Yet that doesn't mean accidents might/do happen. To ensure trained staff and that a place is well run is the best you can do anywhere with any service if you aren't going to be so risk adverse that you don't go anywhere or do anything and stay at home with your dogs every second of the day. No place is completely safe - home included - and its a case of risk management.

Edited by westiemum

Thanks Snook - as always I appreciate your posts and perspectivesmile.gif. Even if you work there you can't be 100% sure IMO.

And I won't keep banging on about it either but its essentially all about risk - everything is - and theres always risk in absolutely everything - and my risk tolerance will be different to yours and yours will be completely different to others - and thats absolutely OK. smile.gif I find daycare at my daycare an acceptable risk, particularly in my circumstances whereas others would not. And that's OK too. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum