My K9Pro Journey

Willowlane

Im so:

• excited
  • nervous
  • energetic
  • tired
  • happy
  • scared and so much more for my first lesson tomorrow.....

All of this rolled into one person I have no idea how Maple my cocker spaniel is managaging to contain herself as she sleeps on the end of my bed :angel::rofl:

My lesson starts at 9am so thought I would aim to arrive at 8.50....excited much

Edited by Willowlane

My partner, the dog and I are driving from Central Vic in September to see them! That's a twenty hour round trip, three 2hr sessions and a cabin tucked away in the woods. I literally couldnt be more excited and its months away! I'm sure you'll have an absolute ball and learn loads :)

Welllllllllllll I cant give too many of Steve's secrets away but I got a great impression for our first lesson!

First off we sat down and just spoke and I went from feeling like an ok dog person to an omg I have so much to learn from this man person....He just read my dog and the situations she reacted too like an open book. He was great at explaining everything on a standard non-expert level that made sense but my oh my was I happy mum came along and videoed some of it because after 2hrs straight of information my brain was bursting and I can only remember half the word commands :laugh: .

Next he showed me some exercises to start using at home with Mapies. First having her do some patience work on a platform, then he showed me how to start training her in loose leash walking which she desperately needed to learn. Lastly was a fun game to begin recall work or start getting the idea. It was incredible to watch him work!!

The best news is that Steve feels Mapie my dog will be able to get over her barking and lunging at other dogs when we go walking :D it will take work and dedication to training but she is capable of over coming it....yipeee.

Even with his help from one phone consult 2wks ago and some email he has (touch wood) stopped Mapie from barking when I go out of the house and leave her and the puppy alone for short periods of time. She use to bark non-stop :thumbsup:

So this afternoon I trained her and she did so well...I was so proud of her and I had so much fun working with her whilst doing it. Cant wait for tomorrow and my lesson on Wednesday will my puppy Willow :D :D

• 2 weeks later...

An update for people interested in how things are going with my K9Pro Training Journey.

I had my lesson with my 11 week old puppy Willow and again a wonderful settled and informative experience. We worked out no she was not at all interested in any form of food treat! so no food drive there. Steve said she was prey motivated and pulled out this awesome toy on a stick and Willows eyes went the size of saucers. He taught me some motivation/focus and recall games whilst all keeping it in within her age limit and making sure to not over push her.

Everything came in a lot of help when we took her away for 4 days last week for our first show. When we would stop for a break during the 6hr drive there and back we would play a game getting her heart rate up and stretching her legs - and mine! Before the start of each of the days competitions I would also play a game with her to try expel some energy but because of the intensity of the game it would only take 5mins instead of a 1hr walk. After every game she's so focused and with me its great. We can be in a huge field like today at centennial park and if were playing the game she just follows me around and the games are so interactive for me too, we both experience them together.

Do you have a prey drive on a stick toy? I have the awesome one from K9 Pro in the boot of my car I'd be willing to donate to Willow if you'd like. It's pretty much brand new as my guys just have no interest in it so would be more than thrilled to pass it to a pup who'd get some use out of it. :D

As a side note - I wouldn't be taking a young pup for an hour walk. Far too much stress on young developing joints.

I agree fully poocow!

Thats the beauty of this game we play for 3-5mins with little 20sec breaks through out and our training/exercise session is done, no 1hr walks for us and she loves it :) win win situation in my mind.