All Questions About Dogs And Crates

Willowlane

Dogs and Crates  

88 members have voted

1. 1. When did you crate train your dog?

2. 2. Do they still sleep in their crate?

3. 3. When did they stop using their crate?

Thankyou everyone for the replies, guess its my turn to answer :)

Is your dog crate trained?

2 of mine are in trained/in training.

When (age) did you crate train him/her?

Maple started when she was 1.5yrs old so about 2months ago and our puppy Willow started 4weeks ago at 8weeks of age

Do they still sleep in their crate now they are older? If not where do they sleep?

Maple sleeps on our bed some nights and in her big soft crate other nights. We mainly crate trained her so when the puppy came she would be crate trained and not loose walking around the bedroom whilst we expected the puppy to be confined. As it turned out we started some training at k9Pro and are using the crate a lot so its worked well. Willow always sleeps in her crate.

When did they stop using the crate?

Maple only really uses it for training (which is a lot) and sleeping. Willow loves the soft crate in the lounge room and spend most of her day playing in it.

Where is their crate in the house?

A large soft crate and puppy pen in the lounge room and two crates in our bedroom for sleep.

Does your dog use the crate only for sleeping?

As I said Willow spends most of her inside time in the big soft crate in the living room, Maple doesn't mind going in either but she spends so much time in there already with training she's happy chilling on the couch.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(I've said it before, but it fascinates me how dogs who are not supposed to be great at generalising, seem to generalise the concept of crate, and will happily go into and settle in different kinds of crates - including ones that don't belong to them, but are handy and unoccupied :laugh: . Best examples of this that I've seen are a grey getting in and curling up in a soft crate belonging to a mini poodle, and my goofy BC boy doing the same in his cavalier friend's crate. :laugh: )

I've noticed this... my dog will happily camp in any available crate - no matter what dog was in it before her... I can't get Pele the bull terrier out of my dog's crate without help tho my dog is happy to share with her - it makes packing up to go home more interesting... And one night at agility training - my dog stole the puppy's crate, and then the puppy stole my dog's crate... when each respective dog was out doing their training thing. I'm not sure what would have happened if they'd met in the same crate... I was more worried about the puppy owner's reaction but she didn't see my dog in her puppy's crate... And I just laughed when puppy went in my dog's crate...

I've seen dogs at training who decide they don't want to try to figure it out any more - and will run around looking for any empty crate when they find they're locked out of their own (can't think why). Must be an evolutionary thing that crates are like dog dens - especially the ones with covered sides.

Those times when we need a camera. :rofl: Zig in a Yorkie's crate (or his head). My friend did get a photo of Rory in his Cavvy friend's crate .. complete with the embroidered Chloe's Cubby label above his head.

Yes Mrs RB ..I think it's the hard wired den thing too.

My Welsh Springer Spaniel who is not even crate trained will go and put herself in either the 30 or 36" crate and curl up for a snooze. I have thought about buy her one just for her as a special treat and place she can go to get away from everything (she's 14 bless her).

My weim was not (caused her to be stressed at the vets and I regretted it), my medium bitsa boy Hugo is, the new weim puppy will be too (just a few more weeks to go before the sage begins!)

I started with Hugo when he was about 10 or 12 weeks old as I was having trouble toilet training him. Heidi the weim pup will have already been exposed to the crate at the breeder's and will be crate trained from day 1.

Do they still sleep in their crate now they are older? If not where do they sleep?

No. We stopped when he was about 12 months old and could be trusted not to eat the furniture while we slept!. I'm embarrassed to say that Hugo now sleeps on our bed with us. :o This was not how we planned things at all!

I stopped needing to crate him during the day at about 5 or 6 months, and it was used for sleeping only until he was 12 months. Then we stopped using it altogether.

It was in the lounge room during the day, and we'd move it into the bedroom at night. We may not be able to do this for Heidi as the crate will be huge!

No. I used it to keep the pup out of trouble when I couldn't supervise him. It was the only thing that stood in the way of him destroying the entire house!

Yes

As puppies

Yes, except the old girl who sleeps where the hell she pleases!

N/A

It's not, the dog room is a covered porch outside

Not sure how to answer this. They are put in there during the day sometimes for various reasons, and they sleep. They are crated to eat their dinner. So yes, they only use it for eating & sleeping but no, it's not necessarily only at night.

• 1 month later...

I am really fascinated by the crate no crate debate. Of my 3 previous dogs I never thought to use a crate as we lived in largish houses with access to outdoors. My first a sheltie took about 6 weeks to toilet train and proceeded to train our new border collie pup when she arrived, who has then trained a rough collie pup many years later. They all still ocassionally had accidents but nothing I would consider to be an issue. We also made specific travel hammocks so they never used crates in the car. http://www.instructables.com/id/Dog-Travel-Hammock/

I am now living in an appartment without a backyard, though we have a nice park next door. I will also be borrowing a car when needed so no chance of a permananet dog set up. So I am considering a crate? I cannot say I am a fan of the idea so far, but would like my pup to be happy and relaxed should we need to travel in the crate in the car or stay away from home.

Could anyone offer suggestions for the most appropriate way of crate training if it is mostly being used for travel and safe space away from home? Or any other pros/cons to the whole debate.

Sarah.

I am really fascinated by the crate no crate debate. Of my 3 previous dogs I never thought to use a crate as we lived in largish houses with access to outdoors. My first a sheltie took about 6 weeks to toilet train and proceeded to train our new border collie pup when she arrived, who has then trained a rough collie pup many years later. They all still ocassionally had accidents but nothing I would consider to be an issue. We also made specific travel hammocks so they never used crates in the car. http://www.instructables.com/id/Dog-Travel-Hammock/

I am now living in an appartment without a backyard, though we have a nice park next door. I will also be borrowing a car when needed so no chance of a permananet dog set up. So I am considering a crate? I cannot say I am a fan of the idea so far, but would like my pup to be happy and relaxed should we need to travel in the crate in the car or stay away from home.

Could anyone offer suggestions for the most appropriate way of crate training if it is mostly being used for travel and safe space away from home? Or any other pros/cons to the whole debate.

Sarah.

As part of the no crate minority . . . I see no reason to introduce crate training here. If your pup is non-destructive and relaxed with freedom of the place, he or she will be fine in the car without confinement, and more comfortable unconfined in the apartment than confined. If you're worried about safety travelling, you can work on things with straps and / or barriers, or simple training to keep the dog in the back for times the car is in motion. Crates are a PITA. They make it hard to vacuum or mop floors. They take up space. My dogs are much happier on the couch, where they can snuggle up and get their butts scratched!

Mine are all crate trained and sleep in open crates by choice.

I know if I travel they are happy sleeping in them, fly easily and are not stressed if locked up for medical issues.

Mine are not crated cery often now but the training was done as a pup so is there. Havibg worked in vet hospitals and seeing the stress and trauma caused by not crate training on dogs suddenly havibg to be confined I will always crate train mine

Mine are all crate trained and sleep in open crates by choice.

I know if I travel they are happy sleeping in them, fly easily and are not stressed if locked up for medical issues.

Mine are not crated cery often now but the training was done as a pup so is there. Havibg worked in vet hospitals and seeing the stress and trauma caused by not crate training on dogs suddenly havibg to be confined I will always crate train mine

That's pretty much me. Flew my Dally recently for the first time since he was a puppy and he coped much better than I expected. My young pup sleeps in a big crate next to my bed - keeps her out of mischief and I can take her out to toilet as soon as I hear her getting restless. It's very wet and muddy here at the moment and the crate is a great way for a dog to dry off after training/exercise. A towel just doesn't cut it. It also allows my pup some down time (she hasn't quite learned to relax/sleep in our busy household) and I can put her Mum in there instead to give her a break from her pup! I have an indoor pen set up as well and I will be able to make better use of that once the other pup goes to his new home. I also use crates as part of drive and self-control training...it translates so well to lots of things my dogs do in everyday life (automatic sit stays to go through doors, get out of the car) and in competition (agility start line stays, retrieving). No they are not an essential for the average pet home but I wouldn't be without them.

Guest donatella

Sarah.

I live in an inner city Brisbane apartment with just a balcony. I have crates but I bought them for behaviour management (2 bitches lomg story lol). Now that's all sorted they don't use them, they have a booster seat in my car. They can see out the window and are buckled in :)

During the day they have run of the tiled area kitchen/lounge/dining/hall and hang out on the couch watching MTV

Edited by donatella

If you just want pup to get used to the crate, leave it open and put pup's food in there. After a while you can wait until pup is super tired and hungry and give him his meal with the door shut. My pup is either fed in her crate or via training or a mix of both. She literally bounces into her crate with excitement - it should always be an incredibly positive association.

We didn't crate train Dozer as a puppy, I wish we did because crates are fantastic.

We actually started crate training Dozer as he'd bark to come inside with the housemates of a night time and at that stage I wasn't home of an evening and he couldn't be trusted not to steal any socks, undies or towels he could get his mouth on.

The other key reason was when I hurt my back I couldn't have Dozer sleeping with us in the bed anymore because he would push me into weird positions and I'd wake up virtually crippled until I could get my muscles to relax.

Now he takes himself to his crate at bedtime (it's next to our bed) and when the crate is in a central location in the house he'll just chill in it.

If I was a dog I'd love his crate. It's got a mat for the base, a base sheet and a mink blanket to snuggle into.. I may have tried it out once or twice!