Go Well, Little Girl

ricey

Hi all,

I am jumping the gun and posting this a little early.

Lulu, my much loved and feisty little Maltese/Shih Tzu/silky/evil hell hound is not much longer for this world. One kidney was removed around 2 years ago or more, and now the other one is shutting down. Most of her other internal organs are showing signs of solidarity with her and they are going out in sympathy.

Shit! She is only 15 years old and I had expected her to go one for ever. Lulu survived mast cell tumour, chemotherapy, and a nephrectomy. She has lost a lot of weight lately; she weighs 8.5kg when she should weigh 12kg. When you stroke her, you can feel her skeleton as if she had no flesh and no fur. I try to over feed her but nothing sticks to her sides. The only thing she will eat now is roo meat. I figure that is high protein and high calorie, and I try to add a bit of Prota roll and good quality kibble. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. I am going to try Hills Science diet 'Mature Adult Active Longevity Original'. I have to admit that the name of the kibble is ringing my bull-shit meter's alarm bells, but I'll give it a go. Much like someone karking it from cancer deciding that there might be something in Reike healing or homeopathy that will help them. Perhaps a dollop of black salve smeared over my fungating melanoma will make me well again...

So I am preparing to say goodbye to my little Lulu; Hobbes the pit bull is dominated by Lulu the Maltese/Shih Tzu and always has been, but he will be distraught. No more will Lulu climb on top of him and hump him. He will miss that; any attention from the boss lady is good attention.

Yeah, I am going to miss my little Lulu belle. Disregarding the family dogs we had when I was a child or teenager, Lulu was my first dog. I'd never have got into dogs in general or American Pit Bull terriers in particular if it wasn't for Lulu. I am sort of glad that Lulu's personality was in Lulu, not Hobbes the pit bull. Hobbes would have been a very scary dog if he had Lulu's personality, and he would not be the gentle and kindly dog that he actually is. Lulu is by every definition. a bitch but I do love her.

So I am going to spend a bit of time with Lulu over the next weeks and hopefully months, as a month or two is the maximum our vet thinks she has.

Peter

Edited by ricey

Thank you all for your caring replies. Today, Lulu is refusing food and water. Food; you can go days without food but water is another thing altogether. No water kills you quickly. I have tried wiping her lips with a wet cotton ball, but she retracts from that and turns her head away.

We will be taking her to our vet (Morley Vet at Rudloc Street, Morley WA) tomorrow. Unfortunately, our preferred vet, Rodney Sundra, is not on duty till Thursday but I don't think we should wait that long. I had hoped to get Rodney's opinion on what the best thing is to do for Lulu. If she is not drinking tomorrow morning, I think it is certain what the humane thing is. Time to go. Go well, little girl.

Thank you all,

ricey

Our little girl has gone. The kind vets at Morley Vet helped her this afternoon. It was the kindest thing to do.

We brought her back to our house afterwards, so that Hobbes and Lizzie could have one last sniff to know she was not coming back. Both were calm, and a little subdued.

There is now a place dug deep in our backyard that is forever Lulu; it pairs with the hole in our hearts that she leaves behind.

ricey

Edited by ricey

I'm sorry for your loss ricey and family.

It's hard when our loving loyal best friends depart.

Take care, heal well, you have been through a lot lately.

Rest in Peace Lulu.

:rainbowbridge:

Edited by LabTested

There is something a little unfair about dogs having a life span less than 2 decades when we humans get 6 or 7 or more decades.

Maybe we get more than we deserve while our dogs get short-changed.

Lulu got what she wanted and chewed off every minute of it.

Go well, little girl.

ricey

Hi Ricey,

:grouphug: To you you, and your human and dog family.

It sucks like a kick in the guts every time and takes so long long to get your breath back.

The world as we knew it is gone and theres a whole new reality to come to terms with. Yup. It sucks. (I'm also coming to terms with the sudden loss of my hero boy)

They lived, and died too soon for our senses, but a life well lived when they inspire humans like you to fight for their species.

:flower:

Edited by moosmum

Thanks moosmum & juice & Marg & Lab Tested and everyone else who has commented on my post.

It is now nigh on a week and a half since Lulu shuffled off her mortal coil (with some friendly helping by Nembutal and with her family around her). We took her back home so Hobbes and Lizzie could have a farewell sniff of her and know she was gone. I had thought that that I would not have been so affected by Lulu's passing. I was wrong and I miss her far more than I thought I would.

Go well, little girl.

I understand ricey. I lost my eldest girl Bella rather suddenly in February and it hit me more deeply than I could have predicted. She was old and in poor health but somehow I never imagined life without her. :cry: Sorry to take up your thread though but hope she will be there to greet Lulu.

Go well little ones.

There is something a little unfair about dogs having a life span less than 2 decades when we humans get 6 or 7 or more decades.

Maybe we get more than we deserve while our dogs get short-changed.

Lulu got what she wanted and chewed off every minute of it.

Go well, little girl.

ricey

:cry: :cry: I am sure we all agree with that, Ricey. Deepest condolences. :heart::heart: Take care of you and the others left behind.

Thinking of you ricey and family at such a hard time. And hoping I have your bravery, kindness and good sense when the time comes for Mac. Yes it hits you like a train doesn't it?. Lulu you were a lucky girl to have such loving family. As ricey says 'Go well little girl'.