Neighbour's Dog Left Alone In Yard

luffy4688

Hi all, I'm just after some general advice on what to do, or to ignore the situation altogether.

My neighbour 2 houses down has moved out. There's a for sale sign out the front, with some old furnitures placed by the roadside to be collected. I'm fairly sure they are no longer living there, but the dog (staffy) is still there. It's like permanently in the yard, and from observation the owners only return every few days (not too sure what for, to pack up stuff maybe?). There is shade, not too sure about food/water though.

The reason I believe that the dog is being left outside to its own devices it's due to the fact, most nights and sometimes in the day you can hear it whining, and crying out for attention. It can go on for hours at times. This has been going on for more than a week now. This was never the case when the owners were around. I've peered over the fence once a few days ago, the dog still looked healthy, but it had what looked like an electric/barking collar around its neck.

I'd prefer not to confront or talk to the neighbours if I can catch them coming back to the place. The reason is because they seem like extremely rude and vulgar people. When they were around, you'd often hear them fighting and quarrelling out loud, yelling obscenities etc. There was even once when the police was called in as the girl was shouting that the guy hit her during a quarrel. I assumed a neighbour who heard the fight called the police.

In your opinion, should I:

1. Ignore

2. Talk to the neighbours?

3. Call the council or the real estate agency involved in the sale?

The noise from the dog itself does not bother me that much, since I'm 2 doors down. But I pity the dog, and hopefully something can be done.

Edited by luffy4688

I would call your local authority (council/RSPCA) to find out what constitutes and abandoned animal. Animal abandonment is a breach of animal welfare act as far as I know, but there may be blurred lines as to at what point it can be classed as abandoned. Perhaps the RSPCA would be interested in doing a welfare check to the address. Good on you for caring but be prepared for some frustration.

Guest crazydoglady99

Call the RSPCA. I recently did for a different reason and the inspector said to me "I don't recommend you knocking on doors suggesting people might be neglecting their dog. Better to let us do it. It's unlikely confrontation will get the desired outcome anyway".

Just make sure you tell them it's urgent as they have a back log.

I personally would be checking on the dog every day. and Il put a note in the neighbours doors telling them that the dog whines and that you have checked on it.

If the people sold the house maybe they are doing something in the new property to prepare for the dog, maybe the fences arent up to scratch and they need to fix something before they move the dog there.

They might not be in a position to take the dog for few days.

They were obviously responsible enough to put the antibarking collar so that the dog wouldn't be bothering the neighbors.

RSPCA are most likely going to issue them with the fine if the collar is of an illegal type.

Yes there is a possibility that they are neglecting the dog, but there is a possibility that they are in a transition and need few days to sort things out. Id be talking to the neighbours first. And checking on the dog.

It's a hard one. I just moved house and the dog and cats stayed at the old house for a week. I went over either very early or late to check on them, anyone watching would have thought no one was over there.

Hope it's the same issues here and they haven't dumped the dog

Guest donatella

How traumatic leaving the dog alone with just a check in once twice a day even if this was happening it's not good enough id still get the RSPCA to investigate.

Guest donatella

Yes what a life in the backyard 24/7 with no companionship or stimulation. Highly recommend

Lol yep.

Horrible, traumatic, I'm a disgusting owner.

My other option was to bring her to the new house and leave her in the yard with no shelter at all.... I'm sure she would rather that over a yard she knows with a nice warm bed .

Hope the OP has an answer on what's going on by now

Edited by Teebs

Guest donatella

I guess it depends how much you value your pets but I would make a way to ensure mine are with me, and have done so every move. Each to their own.

Yes what a life in the backyard 24/7 with no companionship or stimulation. Highly recommend

Who said its highly recommended?

Both Teebs and I suggested that it might be temporary situation, but oh no, a dog might be alone for few days - lets call the RSPCA as it's highly traumatic. :hitself:

Might be highly traumatic for a dog with separation anxiety, a dog that has never been taught to be alone.

For dogs like mine staying alone is part of every day life as I WORK full time and travel far for work. They are alone every day for at least 10-11 hours, or sometimes more.

Somehow they don't seem traumatised by it. And if I was to leave them in the yard alone for few days checking up on them every day, they would just accept it.

Not saying it's IDEAL, just might be a necessity.

Suggesting that someone values their pets less then you is just passive aggressive. What would you know about me Teebs or the person in this subject?

Edited by MonElite

Guest donatella

Cool your jets, my dogs are at home all day with my full time work too, doesn't mean id leave them at an unattended house for an extended period of time, my opinion, no need to get aggressive.

It's ok, some people have better management skills, as I said each to their own, I personally wouldn't do it.

Cool your jets, my dogs are at home all day with my full time work too, doesn't mean id leave them at an unattended house for an extended period of time, my opinion, no need to get aggressive.

It's ok, some people have better management skills, as I said each to their own, I personally wouldn't do it.

I wouldn't do it either. I would stay in the old house with them until the new one was made safe for them.

Guest donatella

I get work guilts and my time with them afte hours is precious I can't imagine just seeing them for 5mins a day, but that is me personally, I love hanging out with mine.

Who said its highly recommended?

Both Teebs and I suggested that it might be temporary situation, but oh no, a dog might be alone for few days - lets call the RSPCA as it's highly traumatic. :hitself:

Might be highly traumatic for a dog with separation anxiety, a dog that has never been taught to be alone.

For dogs like mine staying alone is part of every day life as I WORK full time and travel far for work. They are alone every day for at least 10-11 hours, or sometimes more.

Somehow they don't seem traumatised by it. And if I was to leave them in the yard alone for few days checking up on them every day, they would just accept it.

Not saying it's IDEAL, just might be a necessity.

Suggesting that someone values their pets less then you is just passive aggressive. What would you know about me Teebs or the person in this subject?

It seems you have more than one dog? Might be ok to leave them together for a few days but to leave one on it's own for what appears by the OP for longer than that would have me making some phone calls for sure. A friends neighbours (renters) moved and left a young staffy in the yard with a bag of dry food ripped open and a bucket of water. After a week my friend called the RSPCA and it turned out they had done a runner from the real estate and used fake details so couldn't be found, the dog was not chipped and taken into care by the RSPCA so it does happen.

I am a renter and have moved a gazillion times and never once left my dog or dogs, it wouldn't even enter my mind to do so. If fences or whatever need doing at the new property then I'll pay double rent until it's ready for us all to move in to or the dogs will just stay inside in the new house.