Neighbour's Dog Left Alone In Yard

luffy4688

I have 3 dogs and two stay together and one stays alone.

I said several times that whilst it is not an ideal situation I wouldn't be calling RSPCA straight away, Id try to find out more about the people and the dog.

RSPCA are happy to turn up, find something pathetic and issue a fine. The antibarking collar would be just it for them.

But if the dog had shelter, water and wasn't hungry the'yd probably do nothing.

I understand that dog dumping and neglect happens, but maybe, just maybe, this is a slightly different situation.

I hope that OP provides an update, I'm curious as what has happened.

Cool your jets, my dogs are at home all day with my full time work too, doesn't mean id leave them at an unattended house for an extended period of time, my opinion, no need to get aggressive.

It's ok, some people have better management skills, as I said each to their own, I personally wouldn't do it.

I couldn't do it either.

Plenty of people do do it.

I've been pet sitting for 11 years, and it's often a recommended thing here when people ask for ideas to care for their pets while they are away, now suddenly it's a bad thing to leave your dog alone.

Once again, I would love to know how OP went with reporting it.

Guest donatella

I personally wouldn't like my dogs left alone either holidays of moving they would have company. I couldn't sleep at night knowing they were down the road all alone!

Edited by donatella

I've been pet sitting for 11 years, and it's often a recommended thing here when people ask for ideas to care for their pets while they are away, now suddenly it's a bad thing to leave your dog alone.

And plenty of people don't do it.

It's not 'suddenly' bad for some of us it's something we wouldn't do. Even when I worked two jobs I was always home to sleep, I personally wouldn't leave my dogs for a week (visiting for feeding) knowing they're sitting there in the dark wondering where the hell I am.

Once again, it's my personal choice.

It's not 'suddenly' bad for some of us it's something we wouldn't do. Even when I worked two jobs I was always home to sleep, I personally wouldn't leave my dogs for a week (visiting for feeding) knowing they're sitting there in the dark wondering where the hell I am.

Yep. I won't leave mine overnight without someone home.

My dogs don't live in the yard, they live inside the house. I would never leave them outside in the yard overnight let alone for days. Neither would I use a pet service that called in once a day to feed the dogs. They're either inside with me or home here with someone else if there was an occasion where I couldn't be with them.

Guest hankodie

Yep. I won't leave mine overnight without someone home.

Same here. I would never leave them home alone for a few days, even with someone checking in on them. It's not fair on them. That's my personal opinion.

No updates on my end so far, I did left my details when I reported the case to the RSPCA. I've been home mostly, and I don't think the RSPCA have visited yet. I did mentioned the dog looked healthy when I made the report, so maybe it's not deemed an urgent case. I've also slid a plastic container of water under the gate yesterday to be safe.

The reason I waited for more than a week before asking for advice here was because I was hoping that as mentioned by some, maybe my neighbour just needed some time to sort things out at the new place before bringing the dog over. I understand that it's probably best for me to go over and see if I can have a chat with the neighbour, but I'd genuinely rather not based on their general bad/rude behaviour.

It was also my deduction that the dog's been left alone there for long extended hours as I've been home on leave for the past week or so, and generally only leave the house to walk my dog or to run short errands. Hence why I'm able to hear the dog go on and on for hours. To be honest, I won't be surprised if the council has been notified or a complaint made, considering how it sometimes goes on crying for extended hours throughout the night.

Edited by luffy4688

We once reported a neighbours dog for noise. Similar situation, od taken the week off work to stay home - it cried all week. We were too scared of the neighbours to even report them to council ( needed to leave a bame etc) but after 6 solid days I called the police assistance line (NSW). They offered to do a welfare check *if they could* and did! Dogs were let out of their tiny run & noise stopped instantly.

Welfare of the dog is obviously most important but this might be an option if the noise gets too much.

I get work guilts and my time with them afte hours is precious I can't imagine just seeing them for 5mins a day, but that is me personally, I love hanging out with mine.

It's temporary, not weeks on end.

My dogs don't live in the yard, they live inside the house. I would never leave them outside in the yard overnight let alone for days. Neither would I use a pet service that called in once a day to feed the dogs. They're either inside with me or home here with someone else if there was an occasion where I couldn't be with them.

My neighbour had a pet service when she went away one Christmas. One day I timed the hour walk that her very energetic kelpie x was supposed to be taken on each day. It was 9 minutes. Decided then and there never to hire a pet service.

OP. Just be careful with giving the dog water or food. I've heard cases where a neighbour has done that and the rspca have come back saying that the pet has water (even though someone else put it there) and didn't take any action.

It's a hard place to be!