Pro Heart Injection Vs Tablets

Willowlane

Sorry to be a n00b, but how do you know if your area is a high or low risk area for heartworm?

Your vet will be able to advise you. It's got to do with mosquitos. It's not treated in Tasmania, but anywhere else you should ask your vet for advice.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what is so bad about the injection?

It's a massive dose of Moxidectin which lasts 12 months. Once you've given it, if there are side effects there is bugger all you can do about it.

It's a bit different to administering an oral dose designed to last 1 month.

If you want to know more about it, there is plenty about it on the internet. This is a good start.

Vets like it because they calculate that the risk of heartworm infection in dogs whose owners forget to dose them counters the potential risk of side effects. If you can remember to dose your dogs monthly (or daily with another drug) then why take the risk is my view. It's one hell of a chemical assault, especially if given with vaccinations.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

My dear BC had a terrible reaction to the injection and died. :cry: we only started hearing the horror stories after it was too late, and had no idea that some breeds are particularly sensitive to the chemicals used. I know many do use it but I will never, ever, ever use it again on any animal I own.

I say this because I so wish someone had warned us, if we'd known he would still be here.

If a dog has a reaction, it is a really awful way to go.

Edited by mr.mister

Guest donatella

I went to get the worm injection and because of their weight the vet gave it to them via nasal liquid. No adverse events from this

http://www.proheart6.com/

This is what it says on the product page... (apart from this one lasting only 6 months not a year in the USA). In very small print.

IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION: PROHEART 6 should be used in healthy dogs. Do not administer to sick, debilitated, underweight dogs or dogs that have a history of weight loss.

Prior to administration, PROHEART 6 certified veterinarians should continue to assess patient health through a medical history, physical examination and if deemed appropriate, diagnostic testing. Continue to use caution when administering PROHEART 6 concurrently with vaccinations.

Adverse events, including anaphylaxis, have been reported following the concomitant use of PROHEART 6 and vaccines. In some cases, anaphylactic reactions have resulted in death. Use with caution in dogs with pre-existing or uncontrolled allergic disease (food allergy, atopy or flea allergy dermatitis).

Dogs receiving PROHEART 6 should be tested for existing heartworms as per the product label.

In people, avoid PROHEART 6 contact with eyes. If contact with the eyes occurs, rinse thoroughly with water for 15 minutes and seek medical attention immediately. PROHEART 6 is available only to veterinarians through a restricted distribution program. Only certified veterinarians and staff can administer it. See full Prescribing Information or call 1-888-ZOETIS1 (963-8471) for more information

On a vet page it says this... for ProHeart SR-12 Injection

http://www.vetwest.com.au/yearly-heartworm-injection

it can safely be combined with your pet's vaccination or annual check-up

The manufacturer provides this which has no information on how dogs are affected and what dogs should or should not be treated:

https://www.zoetis.com.au/documents/e/1910/8936,2012%20MSDS%20ProHeart%20SR-12.pdf

The USA Food and Drug admin says this:

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/VeterinaryMedicineAdvisoryCommittee/UCM127124.pdf

A similar product, ProHeart® SR 12, which contains approximately

3 times the amount of moxidectin as ProHeart 6 and provides 12 months of protection is

registered and marketed in Australia since October 2000.

So a dose with 1/3 the active ingredient is not save to give with vaccinations but one with 12 months worth is? I don't think so and I find it a tad slack of the Australian equivalent of FDA to be so pathetic about this.

And further on in the same doc

Subsequent to the product approval in June 2001, the FDA Center for Veterinary Medicine

(CVM) raised concerns over the number of reports of adverse events associated with ProHeart

6.1 Further concern was raised that “many of the reports received have involved serious, lifethreatening

adverse events such as anaphylaxis, convulsions, hematopoetic disorders,

hepatopathies” and also “neurologic problems and unusual cardiac signs.” It was also stated that

“Pet owners should be advised on appropriate alternative heartworm preventatives for their

dogs.” FDA requested “that the firm continue to conduct research to determine the cause of

related adverse reactions…before the product is marketed again.”

And even further into the FDA doc - it says product recalled.

They like it because you can't forget to give a monthly dose but do you want to risk death of your dog?

I've just recently done an overhaul of my dogs' treatments. Up until maybe 18 months ago they were both given the annual heartworm injection until I did some reading and decided to stop using it. They now get Valuheart monthly and I feel much better about my choice even though they'd never reacted to the injection.

I treat on the first of each month as I find it easier to remember than every six weeks, plus I'm in an area that sees mosquitos all year round.

While I was still deciding on which treatment to go for I was giving them Interceptor monthly. I settled on Valuheart as I don't believe in needing to worm my guys monthly as I like Drontal tri-monthly for that.

Don sorry if I am misreading this, but are your kids covered for heart Worm? I didn't think they could have heart worm prevention dosed nasally either, so that would not have been for heart worm prevention. Did they get something else for heart worm, or do you do a daily or monthly prevention routine? I would just want to be 100% certain because you are unfortunately in a high risk region.

Guest donatella

They were done at the same time as vax so I hope somewhere in the $350 when is asked for vax/heartworm they got treated :eek:

Guest donatella

I am pretty sure the vax was intra nasal and the heartworm was IM I asked for both I know their was separate syringes etc

Guest donatella

I just called the clinic, they got the C5 and the pro heart injection one was intranasal but they are covered regardless

• 6 months later...

Do vets have an obligation to test for heartworm on new customers dogs. I.e blood test

Before giving heartworm preventive.

My dog fell ill over the weekend and is in a bad way. X-rayed Sunday showed enlarged right heart and water on lungs. So 50/50 chance

Currently been given meds to help him and just trying to find info on this.

The dog is from north qld and I have just far south.

Unfortuanly I hadn't researched heartworm until now. Was giving the dog preventative but was two years old when I got him. Now his 6.5 years

Edited by Jared82

Most vets I've found ask if you've been giving regular treatment. If not, then testing is ideal and is usually offered before giving a treatment dose.

If you've been regularly treating your dog for heartworm protection up until now, it should be highly unlikely for him to be infected.