Vet. Fees

I always wonder why some (perhaps a lot) people find the consultation fee of a highly trained profession so objectionable. What goes into their training and the set up and running cost of a veterinary clinic must be astronomical. Personally I think it's a very fair charge.

We expect our vets to be highly well trained professionals with the latest equipment in hygienic well staffed clinics etc etc.....this comes at a high cost.

I'm just talking generally, not about any specific posters here.

Big pat on the back for the vets from me. :thanks:

Yes, you are so right Gruf.

I guess those of us who are now on fixed pensions, with no chance of other income in the future, do notice the expense.

There is a free vet clinic for pensioners once a month in Sydney. Wonderful idea and I applaud the vets who volunteer their time to run it. Sadly no good for emergencies.

Ours is $57 and I think $35 or $40 for return, but my vet often just charges me the lesser fee as one of mine is always there! Its often everything else that adds up, but he will also give me a script for the chemist if the human version is cheaper, which Mobic is.

To be honest I don't see the problem, they are a business ,just like any other service you use, they can charge what they like.

the vet i work at charges $73.90 :) $30 for a re-visit.

ETA: this can be for 15 mon, or for an hour. No extra charge for time.

We also give out scripts to the chemist if human drugs are available cheaper. And if many in house tests are done, the consult fee is usually waived.

Edited by denali

I usually pay about $55 for a consultation and no payment if it's a follow up or ongoing problem. My vet is excellent, but I have been seeing him for 25 years. I can go in and get a script or for ongoing meds and he doesn't charge me, only for the meds.

I always wonder why some (perhaps a lot) people find the consultation fee of a highly trained profession so objectionable. What goes into their training and the set up and running cost of a veterinary clinic must be astronomical. Personally I think it's a very fair charge.

We expect our vets to be highly well trained professionals with the latest equipment in hygienic well staffed clinics etc etc.....this comes at a high cost.

I'm just talking generally, not about any specific posters here.

Big pat on the back for the vets from me. :thanks:

+1 :)

Agree.

To be honest I have no idea how much our vet charges...because I'm fairly sure that if they prescribe anything, or give any treatment, the consult is 'free' - ie probably built into the cost of the medication or whatever. Kitty has had to have various antibiotics, an anti-inflammatory shot once (cracked a claw...owies...), and a biopsy of a lump in her neck, and from memory all I ever paid was treatment/test cost and the cost of any take home medication. With her dental, the follow up consult was free anyway, and they gave her annual vaccination at the same time. The bill for the dental on the other hand...oy...ah well, love my fur babies and would never scrimp on the vet!