Ingredients Poll

Dog food ingredients   

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which 3 added ingredients would you prefer to see in a raw dog food?

• Basil
    • Turmeric
    • Green Tea
    • Chia Seeds
    • Quinoa
    • Nettle
    • Manuka Honey
    • Rosemary
  2. 2. Why did you choose that ingredient?

• It sounds nice
    • Because of it's benefits
    • It's "the" ingredient in pet food at the moment
    • My dog likes it
    • Other (please explain)
  3. 3. Which added ingredient would you prefer NOT to see in a dog food?

• Basil
    • Turmeric
    • Green Tea
    • Chia Seeds
    • Quinoa
    • Nettle
    • Manuka Honey
    • Rosemary
    • I would be happy seeing any of them listed in a dog food

For me the first question is are we talking raw/unprocessed/non heat treated food, or processed/cooked/heat treated food.

I'd be all for adding ingredients proven to give health benefits to raw foods, but Personally see little point if it's heat treated.

For me the first question is are we talking raw/unprocessed/non heat treated food, or processed/cooked/heat treated food.

I'd be all for adding ingredients proven to give health benefits to raw foods, but Personally see little point if it's heat treated.

Sorry I forgot to mention. This is for raw foods :)

Sorry I forgot to mention. This is for raw foods :)

I would change your poll question to reflect that then. Many people would assume you mean kibble.

Definitely a big No, No, No to Rosemary! It is a neurotoxin (along with oregano and thyme) and can cause seizures in dogs. Having a dog with really bad seizures (she has never eaten rosemary btw), it boggles the mind to think items could actually be added to dog food that could cause them.

Definitely a big No, No, No to Rosemary! It is a neurotoxin (along with oregano and thyme) and can cause seizures in dogs. Having a dog with really bad seizures (she has never eaten rosemary btw), it boggles the mind to think items could actually be added to dog food that could cause them.

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/rosemary_in_pet_foods.htm

Highly regarded source on rosemary.

A lot of dry dog foods use rosemary extract in them and as far as I know, there is no scientific support for claim rosemary causes seizures in dogs.

I had no idea!

Thanks DC- you learn something new every day thumbsup1.gif

Some of those things need to be steeped in hot water to be useable... so I'm thinking - that's not raw.

I'm pretty sure giving my dog raw quinoa or chia seeds - would be akin to taking a $20 note, chopping that into tiny pieces and adding it to her mince dinner.. straight through unchanged. Complete waste of money.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Gus eats it like grass! That'd be right...I'll pass him the memo!

Gus eats it like grass! That'd be right...I'll pass him the memo!

If it hasn't affected him by now then I would say its not going to :)

All living things have a seizure threshold. Go below that and they have a seizure. Genetics plays a big part in determining that seizure threshold. If you have a high threshold for seizures then you can probably do what you like and never have an issue. If you have a low threshold for seizures, however, you want to be avoiding anything that could possibly bring you too low. Rosemary is one of those things.

I don't see a need for any of those things in dog food. Actually think this fad of adding herbs, seeds etc to food without any solid evidence is concerning. Home bodies doing it without considering the impact on macro balance and calcium/phosporous levels even more so. What benefit to the dog will ANY of those additions have? My boys have none of those things in their raw diet and are fabulously healthy.

My boys have none of those things in their raw diet and are fabulously healthy.

And lots have all of this and are fabulously healthy so your evidence is also no more than anecdotal.

Seriously? Talk about thinking in reverse.

What benefits do they get from these supplements?

Sigh. My point was your anecdotes are no proof not having these additions is better either. So asking for proof and providing an anecdote of your own seems a bit backwards.

I certainly wasn't implying these are essential for everyone, but please don't suggest others don't know what they're doing.

I don't supplement my dogs raw, but I'm open to the idea I might actually not know it all, and there might be something they would benefit from missing.

There are really interesting studies about in regard to various additions, particularly turmeric, if you care to look.

Everyone needs to do what works for their own dogs, if you're not on board with something someone else is doing its great you don't have to try it!

Sigh. My point was your anecdotes are no proof not having these additions is better either. So asking for proof and providing an anecdote of your own seems a bit backwards.

I certainly wasn't implying these are essential for everyone, but please don't suggest others don't know what they're doing.

I don't supplement my dogs raw, but I'm open to the idea I might actually not know it all, and there might be something they would benefit from missing.

There are really interesting studies about in regard to various additions, particularly turmeric, if you care to look.

Everyone needs to do what works for their own dogs, if you're not on board with something someone else is doing its great you don't have to try it!

Yeah, I got your point. I wasn't using my experience as evidence, but there is plenty of evidence to support the way I feed. There absolutely may be benefits to those supps but all I'm doing is asking what they are? I take a science based approach to feeding my boys, with macro and micro nutrients balanced appropriately.

Unfortunately there are plenty on here and elsewhere that don't know what they're doing, don't understand the biology of canines and mix up home brew foods without understanding the importance of balance.

As I say, I'm totally open to new things, if there is a demonstrable benefit to it.