Discouraging Dog From Getting On Furniture

The tins won't work because she's stone deaf.

I think it's about more than just the noise. But also the movement and sometimes they connect with the dog on the way down, not enough to hurt but that sort of surprise you get from being tapped on the shoulder when you think you're all alone.... erm.

But you can try it when you are home and see what happens.

Can you put the play pen across the couch? Ie sort of drape the couch with the play pen so it's not so comfy?

I'd also be trying to get a UV light from somewhere so you can check you have got every last pee spot...

Or I'd be trying her bed on the tarp... and maybe some pee pads on the rest of the tarp.

I did house sit in a home where both the cat and the dog felt it necessary to pee in the room that was allocated to me... so after that I kept the door shut. They didn't pee anywhere else they were not supposed to. So I guess it could be an emotional territorial / anxiety thing.

We tried putting the little square stools up on the lounge as a barrier but she just pushes them aside. I could try to secure the play pen fencing along each lounge though. I hadn't considered that.

The uv lights scare me. I've always wanted one but I have an OCD with germs and I'm worried it will highlight things too much for me. I know that may not make sense to most but someone who has a corner about germs will understand. It could possibly open up a whole new world for me.... :eek:

Her bed currently sits on a pice of a yoga mat in case she has an accident in it. It's rare she does though but it I'll save my rug if she does.

Maybe I need to try her bed on the lounge. If I put it up with the mat under it? But then what happens if she gets out of her bed and wets on the lounge next to her bed? Aaaaghhh, I have no idea how to solve this.

Edited by ~Anne~

Erm

I think there are bed covers that they have for incontinent old people (or young people)... sort of like puppy pads... or you could layer up... ie tarp, then towel then bed?

UV light - I guess you have to get someone else to check for pee spots when you're out. And keep it somewhere else ie do you have someone that visits occasionally that could do a check when you're not looking?

But it does seem like it's not a marking over thing but a sort of pee incompetence thing. Ie not a deliberate thing. not exactly incontinence either...

I think some germs are good for me. Pee is sterile inside unless someone has a bladder infection... it's just stinky and acid burny when it gets out and starts to dry.

Just never use something called "sweet vinegar" which looks exactly the same as white vinegar in almost identical packaging, to clean up. It's like trying to clean up with lemon cordial (oops).

Just another thought on why she's so keen on the lounge while you are gone - it probably smells a lot like you and hubby, so besides being warm, high up and comfortable, it smells like you so she's got some comfort while you are gone.

FWIW - I'd hold off on trying to discourage her from getting up on the lounge until you've organised an alternative that's really suitable for her, so that you can provide both at once and give it the best chance of working. Maybe something like the kid's foam sofa as suggested above, covered in a minky blanket that's been on your bed (or on the couch) for a few days? IF you can grab some DAP spray, hit the blanket with that as well, put the bed somewhere super comfy (near a heater?) and then go nuts with covering the couch (plastic tarp, baby gate, etc.) so that she's got a really nice option and a very average one.

Some dogs just like being up high and I have a squillion photographs to prove it with one little dog of mine. :laugh: :laugh:

Danny is very elderly and sometimes wees in his sleep. He now wears belly bands at night as they all sleep on the bed (easier for a male than a female and obviously couldn't be left on all day). However, the following might help you. As an extra precaution, I now use a mattress protector which I throw over the top of my bedclothes on the dogs' side of the bed and then put their throws on that so they still have the throws to snuggle into and arrange as dogs will.

I buy the rubber backed fitted ones from Target or K-Mart and cut off the "skirt" so they lie flat. If there is an accident, then only the mattress protector and throws need to go in the wash. The throws are micro fleece so dry in no time.

Sometimes we just have to accept that a dog is going to do what it is going to do in terms of its habits and work around them, particularly if they are elderly and/or have med problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. Yes, I agree Cowanbree although I would think the shock would be minimal.

We haven't done anything different for meanwhile. It seems the easiest solution is to continue with the plastic. It really only takes a few minutes. It doesn't stop her but it will stop the lounge being destroyed.

She hasn't wet on the lounge since I the first time have did when I started using the plastic so that's a good sign.... and possibly just good luck but I'm happy for that!

A cheaper way to cover the lounger with tinfoil is to buy a space blanket ( at the most $5 try any camping store or firstt aid supplier, possibly even Kmart, Big W etc.) they are large enough to toss over the couch with one throw. make a horrible crinkly noise when stepped on and are not cosy!

Maybe get her her very own couch? The toddlers flip out sofas are wonderful for that and fairly readily available.smile.gif

I had all my hopes on the space blanket.... Alas it failed completely. Penny has no issue making herself comfortable on it and curling up to sleep. :cry: