Ballarat People........

KJ

Is Victoria park off lead? I am moving into Ballarat so have started walking my Lab there (to get her used to being walked in public not in the bush where we live) Does anyone else walk their dogs there? It it an ok place to walk? I did notice a lot off lead dogs, which is something that I am not too keen on!

Thanks

Victoria Park Is an off leash area. You need to find the right time of day. There are regular morons at certain times with no idea about controlling their off leash dogs. icon_smile_mad.gif

But I believe there are some regular walkers with on leash and/or well controlled dogs at other times who sort of stick together and discourage the morons.

Here is a list off official off leash areas in Ballarat. Dog Off Leash Parks Makes it easy to avoid them if that's what you prefer! laugh.gif

Edited by RuralPug

Guest Clover

There seems to be a group of an evening (about 5/6 pm ish) near one of the ponds that just let their dogs run wild. We were going to walk up there last night but saw off lead dogs as we were driving past so headed up to the Lake instead.

the lake is all onlead and yes Victoria Park is offlead and there are a lot of people who are not in control of their dogs but it is one of the designated areas around Ballarat for offlead walks....you can still walk you dog up there on lead if you wish but usually you have dogs come up and get in your dogs face :)

Thanks.

I did walk Vic park at the weekend and we were approached and followed by what we thought was a lost/stray poodle! Turns out its owner was standing about 200 meters away not giving a rats about what her dog was doing :eek:

Guest Clover

that is the general mentality of people at Victoria Park.....if you want to walk your dog on lead maybe go around the lake...all dogs must be on lead :)

By law they should be but not always. There is a particular man (well known ballarat business owner) who walks his dogs off lead up there and through the gardens. According to him the law is stupid and he will do as he pleases.

that is the general mentality of people at Victoria Park.....if you want to walk your dog on lead maybe go around the lake...all dogs must be on lead :)

By law they should be but not always. There is a particular man (well known ballarat business owner) who walks his dogs off lead up there and through the gardens. According to him the law is stupid and he will do as he pleases.

there are some people who think they are above the law but if this man keeps on breaking the law then he will be caught up with....I know the Rangers do patrols around the lake especially since there is a lot of people there and kids at the playgrounds......it is these people that sometimes make things harder for the ones doing the right thing....also by law you must carry poo bags but I know a lot of people that don't.....I am always pulling them out of pockets when I wash clothes :laugh:

Edited by dezzyno.1

• 5 months later...

Update.......

I have been taking my Lab to the pond/off lead area, in Vic park, for about 2 months now, and I have to say it is fantastic!! I have been there at all hours of the day and have never had(or seen)any problems. My main concern, when moving to Ballarat, was how my Lab would cope without lots of space to run and somewhere to swim but thanks to this park area everything is fine :)

Edited by KJ

Update.......

I have been taking my Lab to the pond/off lead area, in Vic park, for about 2 months now, and I have to say it is fantastic!! I have been there at all hours of the day and have never had(or seen)any problems. My main concern, when moving to Ballarat, was how my Lab would cope without lots of space to run and somewhere to swim but thanks to this park area everything is fine :)

that is great news KJ.....Ballarat now has only 7 offlead areas around Ballarat and now have an enclosed offlead park in Dowling Street Wendouree.....there is also talk of an enclosed offlead park to be put in Vic Park so will be interesting to see what happens and where they put it