Ugh, I Dont Know What To Say

Kirislin

It happens to everyone with a good camera and lenses. :( Someone asks you to do paid work for them. I've always said I'm a hobby photographer, I think I have a fairly realistic view of my ability and dont kid myself about it. A friend has asked me to take some photos for him for his business and my first reaction was to say no. I've already told him I'm just a hobbyist but he wants to get me to have a go.

So now I'm thinking, I've got nothing to loose, if he doesn't like them I wont charge him, he doesn't have to use them. But what if I end up taking shots he's really happy with? What would I charge? I have no idea.

I was chatting with someone the other day who had a real estate firm ask her to take photos, and she wasn't sure whether to accept. I'd say go for it, you've got nothing to lose. If anything you'll gain valuable experience, and you've made him aware you're a hobbiest.

With the real estate work she decided to charge $100 for 10 photos, payment up front, plus travel.

This FB GROUP often has such questions posed & answered ...

I've tried twice to join and both times it was rejected. At first I thought I'd made a mistake but I definitely clicked join, and saw that it was pending, but now again it's back to join. :shrug: They must think I'm some kind of radical. Me????? :rofl:

Edited by Kirislin

Never heard of that group... just tried to join myself. There's plenty of really good active photography groups, the most active ones are the local groups. i.e. for me it's Perth Photography Group etc. More discussions. The bigger groups are more pros showing off their talent.

I wrote to all the admins asking why and the first one wrote back and said it was probably a mistake at first but then when they saw my name again it seemed familiar so they just deleted it. He was very nice and apologised and let me in. :D

Ha ha, Kirislin - I was accepted to that group immediately...!!? You must be a radical..!

Me too. In fact I posted my first photo of my daughter there yesterday and the response has been phenomenal. Thanks for sharing the link Pers. I'm feeling really encouraged in my photography journey :)

Edited by teekay

• 3 weeks later...