Black Dogs Project: Helping Darker Canines Find A Home

Boronia

http://www.theguardi...ect-in-pictures

Fred Levy first heard about 'black dog syndrome'" in 2013 in a conversation at a dog park. It' is a disputed theory that states that black dogs are last to get adopted at shelters, perhaps because of superstition or a perception that they a're aggressive. The idea inspired Levy's Black Dogs Project. The dogs Levy photographed came from owners he recruited through his Facebook page. He had also started working with abandoned dogs referred to him by shelters – sharing their photos online in search of permanent homes. They are difficult to photograph well. A book of the project is due out later this year

Fred Levy/fredlevyart.com

Thursday 18 June 2015 17.00 AEST Last modified on Thursday 18 June 2015 21.06 AEST

• 500.jpg
  • Aki A springer spaniel. Fred photographs the dogs in his studio in Massachusets

• 500.jpg
  • Denver A black Labrador retriever

• 352.jpg
  • Mercedes Ann A standard poodle

• 500.jpg
  • Max A 7-year-old black labrador that was surrendered to a local shelter to be euthanised. The shelter refused to put him down and reached out to Hounds Town USA and trainer Michael Gould, who worked to rehabilitate and train him

• 500.jpg
  • Stitch 'Nothing like a puppy to make your day that much better. Stitch here was so much fun to photograph. She just loved all the attention between me and her family'
  • 333.jpg
  • Kenai 'One of my first black dogs for the project. She is a beautiful German Shepherd. I'm very happy to find out that she is expecting puppies soon. She's a beautiful dog who is very attached to the son of the owner. I find that GSD's can be wonderful companions to the children (of all ages) of the family. I'm looking forward to seeing the puppies'

• 500.jpg
  • Bing 'What a great dog. You're going to love Bing's story. He found his perfect home and has made a great life for him and his family'

• 333.jpg
  • Ransom and Tyson 'My studio is really small and these two great danes are really big. What made it work was that they were really well trained'

• 500.jpg
  • Wylie 'A Corgi, Shepherd mix that was such a delight. I'm a real sucker for older dogs. How could you not love that grey muzzle. He was one of my last shoots for this project and will look so good in print'

• 3ab34791-5b7c-446e-9fb8-f916267b7d13-300x195.jpeg
  • Toby Photographer Fred Levy poses with his dog, a 12-year-old rat terrier named Toby at his home, in Maynard, Massachusets
    Photograph: Steven Senne/AP

Black dogs - unfortunately I never owned one - they are stunning, especially when they come in high gloss. Can't think of any colour more desirable and eye catching. Black Great Danes, Greyhounds, German Shorthair Pointers, wish I was younger. :D