Chihuahuas Rare In Oz?

Guest Roka

I am originally from California but have lived here for nearly 20 years (married an Aussie who didn't want to live in the USA).

Back in the "old country" Chihuahuas are a relatively common breed especially in California where you frequently find them needing good homes in the pounds.

Not that I like the idea of any dog ending up in such a fate! However, when I go to look at rescues it's mostly the bigger and what the general public regards as "dangerous" breeds. I haven't come across too many pure-bred small dogs like Chihuahuas there. Thank goodness!

Recently, (over the last couple of years) since I've been looking at Chihuahuas I've noticed that quality short haired dogs are hard to find. When I have found them the prices are very high and they are a long way away from me which would require my flying them here.

Every time I see a dog or puppy I'd like to have that's not in the several thousand dollar price range (I'm a pensioner and can't afford to pay that much money for a dog) it's sold within days or hours of being advertised. I also tend to think about things first as a dog is a big commitment so I usually end up losing out. The people that buy without even going to see the dog first are the ones that end up getting the puppy. I think buying a dog that way is taking a huge risk. I don't do it and so thus am Chi-less!

So, I'm wondering why are Chihuahuas seemingly so rare in Australia?

Edited by Roka

I don't think they are rare, so to speak, but just a tip on obtaining a good quality one. Research breeders that have dogs that you like, and put yourself on a waiting list for a pup. That's how I got my schipperke Biscuit. Yes, I played the waiting game for 4 months, but before he was even born his litter was spoken for, and he was definitely worth it! I also have his breeder's advise for life, and she has always been such a great help. Definitely recommend finding a breeder you trust and like their dogs and then wait for the perfect pup for a few months if you can :)

Don't appear rare -a number of breeders advertise on D O L :)

If you are on a fixed income .. I suggest starting now , and talking with breeders who breed for temperament /health . Build rapport , and ask about returned dogs / dogs who are being retired from the ring etc ...

You could always keep abreast of the rescues., and make some contact with folk there :)

As said find a breeder, develop a relationship and then you can go on their list of buyers. I think the issue is you are waiting to see pups available now and then either missing out due to thinking about it, or distance. Get onto the loop well before. Also you may well pick up a lovely young adult or retired show dog.

Many of us fly our puppies and developing a relationship with the breeder prior and getting recommendations etc or seeing other pups they have sold mean that we are often happy to buy sight unseen, yes its a risk but of you take the time and do the research it can be a well calculated one.

Dogs fly the length and breedth of the country every day.

Yes, I am definitely interested in adopting a dog that needs a good home when I am ready. or rather when hubby say's I'm ready. Sound familiar girls? ROTFL! :laugh:

However, I live in Southern NSW. Not QLD or Victoria. I've seen more Chis in those states then here. :confused:

I've fostered three under 2 years old and currently have a senior (over 10) year old foster.

We have lots, including pups, come through rescue. Check out www.petrescue.com.au if you are interested in adopting.

That's a Gremlin - even I know that !! :rofl: Oh My ...how cute is that :) I know the OP wants shorthaired, and isn't quite ready - but how CUUUTE :)

he looks like a little plump hairy white bandicoot :D