Breed Recommendation

Mav

I show and breed Leos. They are a relatively active giant breed, and once grown they like long walks. some even do agility. In my experience, the girls are more active than the boys. I've never had trouble fitting a giant breed in the car either. Five of them in the car maybe ????

With regards to walking I think a plodder would be more our style. A dog who isn't going to climb the walls if for some reason we miss a day would be great!

I had thought Golden Retriever, but from what I have read (and I could be so very wrong) they do need a fair amount of exercise to keep them at their happiest.

Oh my the Leonbergers are gorgeous!

Edited by Mav

Golden retrievers are lovely dogs I own 2 of them a 7 year old female named Shelley and a 15 week old male named Axel. I also own a whippet named Missy and a chihuahua named Rascal. Shelley is quite lazy actually and trots around she may run for 5 minutes but then spends the rest of the time trottting or walking around. She loves her swimming more so then walking. Axel my puppy is a little more active and runs around alot more but in saying that both my goldens have a off switch. My goldens make better indoor/outdoor dogs then my Whippet Missy as Missy is always on the go and can't seem to stay still for long. Shelley takes an hour once a week to brush out, but you can lower the time if you give them a brush everyday. The hardest thing with goldens is keeping the weight off them as they love there food.

Large breed that loves kids and cats and will want to go places with you but not too much grooming or maintenance. Have you considered Bullmastiff. They are really wonderful companions and absolutely love being around kids, and can handle cruising or missing a days walk.

I dunno, but would have thought that a long coat dog in QLD would be a bit unfair?

Edited by BullBreedBoy

With regards to walking I think a plodder would be more our style. A dog who isn't going to climb the walls if for some reason we miss a day would be great!

I had thought Golden Retriever, but from what I have read (and I could be so very wrong) they do need a fair amount of exercise to keep them at their happiest.

Oh my the Leonbergers are gorgeous!

If you want a plodder I would steer clear of the Gundog group as a general rule - Labs, Goldens and Spaniels are more likely to be busy, active dogs. Of course there are always exceptions. Like Tassie I LOVE Bernese and always wanted one until I realised I needed dogs with a bit more "zip" for dog sports.

If you want a plodder I would steer clear of the Gundog group as a general rule
Awww. I was going to suggest a Clumber Spaniel. I know nothing about the breed but when someone says "plodding" for some reason I always think of them :o

There's always an exception - yes Clumbers do plod with those short legs :laugh: but not really the large dog they had in mind!

A well bred Rottweiler with a calm temperament would also suit and you already have some experience with the breed.

The Rottweiler is one of the only breeds that mentions their devotion towards children in the Breed Standard.

Less coat maintenance than a Newfie, Leo or Berner.

Owners can easily skip walking days. Calmer types in the breed are super laid back and happy to chill out.

Great with other pets they are introduced to.

Not for the faint hearted, but the other breeds you have chosen are much the same to some degree.

Hubby and I discussed the breeds recommended and we will be doing a little more research on a few breeds - contacting some breeders for their thoughts.

The breeds we have short listed are the Bernese, Leonberger (this one we are really really interested in) and Rottweiler.

We are in no hurry and want to take as much time as needed to find what will be the right one for us.

Living in Qld and long haired dog was a concern raised by us also but we are looking at moving back to NSW - I don't much like the heat myself!

Thanks to all who gave advice!! I will keep you informed on what we decide upon :)

My youngest sister had a gorgeous Bernese for 10 years. Chewie was absolutely bomb proof round her children - she had him before her son (6) and her daughter (3). One of the few dogs I've ever trusted to be unsupervised around children. And her children are obnoxious brats and put him through hell - he would simply remove himself when it got too much. I never saw him growl once in 10 years.

I guess my only concern would be the dense coat in hot weather - though I'm sure it could be managed.

Golden retrievers are lovely dogs I own 2 of them a 7 year old female named Shelley and a 15 week old male named Axel. I also own a whippet named Missy and a chihuahua named Rascal. Shelley is quite lazy actually and trots around she may run for 5 minutes but then spends the rest of the time trottting or walking around. She loves her swimming more so then walking. Axel my puppy is a little more active and runs around alot more but in saying that both my goldens have a off switch. My goldens make better indoor/outdoor dogs then my Whippet Missy as Missy is always on the go and can't seem to stay still for long. Shelley takes an hour once a week to brush out, but you can lower the time if you give them a brush everyday. The hardest thing with goldens is keeping the weight off them as they love there food.

My Golden is not what I'd call high energy, she loves getting out for a walk but 30 - 45 minutes is enough & she will want to have a lie down (she is only 11 months so this may change?). She's not too phased if we miss a day (or two) as long as she gets some mental stimulation. Her mum is energetic and really wants the walks, one of her brothers is very much like her. She's a very easy dog to live with. The breeder knew the type of dog we were after and I think matched us up beautifully. I think there are so many variations within the litter, find a good breeder who knows their pups, I can't speak highly enough of ours.