Agression Issues.

Get coats that don't need his legs threaded through and by a basket muzzle. He can pant and drink if it needs to be left on for slightly longer periods.

I have never had any issues with my dogs in this resepct adn I am not sure if it is just ebcasue my personality is a stronger one and I expect certain levels of behaviour and they are pulled up very short if they do not meet those levels. I do not see myself as a pack leader but I am where all food pats and good things come from, its my house and my rules, don't like it you get put outside to thinka bout it. You growl at the dog getting ont he lounge at my invitation? you get dumped off onto your bed on the floor and stay there. Not sure if people agree with me but so far 20 odd years many dogs and of a few different breeds and we don't have issues apart from minor ones.

This is exactly how we run this pack of 'ferals', believe it or not !!! Somehow, somewhere things went wrong with Saba, he probably learnt, through our ignorance, 'I growl when I don't like something, (like nails being done, touching my feet/legs etc), and the humans stop, win for me'. This also works well for our ACD's as well.

rajacadoo

After your description - I was looking to see what had happened to this dog to make him distrust humans... Hmm, these stand out...

He has always hated his feet and legs being touched, (I really don't know why this is, he was thoroughly handled as a baby). Over the years he has just gotten worse. We can cut his nails, lying on his back, one person on each leg with him screaming profanities at us, trying to bite us.
Hubby thinks its fine to just grab his leg, shove it through the hole, (roughly the last time he did it, he's now banned from doing anything with him), with someone firmly holding his head, and if he tries to have a go, he just grabs his head and either hits him, or shakes him.

I think Hubby mistreatment of your dog may have happened first and been ongoing. Did hubby train this dog "stand for exam" or judges table?

If my dog had experienced this kind of treatment - I think she would have done me serious damage. She also doesn't like having her feet clipped at all and I get a professional groomer to do it who has all the right gear and heaps of practice. And evil hound gets heaps of treats during the process so it's a good experience for her. She's still not exactly relaxed until it's over but she forgives the groomer.

I did manage to train her to roll onto her back in my lap and let me play with her feet - using lots bits of roast lamb over many sessions but she still was offended by actual clipping. I think the clipper was squeezing the claw and causing pain even if I didn't get near the quick. And her claws are black so that doesn't help.

Have you tried to train any of these things (including the muzzle) with rewards? I don't know if this dog is at all excited by food but there must be something he likes - ear rubs, praise, peanut paste? But if you have to pin him down while he screams - you're only going to make the behaviours worse.

Send a PM to Aidan3 (that's his current incarnation). He's in Tas.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/user/34354-aidan3/

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket