7 Day Old Baby Bitten By Family Dog

Scottsmum

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The dogs are fantastic ... it's just one of those things that can happen," he said.

This is the attitude (acceptance) I have problems with. Any dog can bite a newborn baby. The parents are responsible and should have kept their baby safe. Dogs (no matter how wonderful) should not be with newborn babies.

I read an online news article yesterday where a baby was killed in its home by the family dog in the UK in the last few days.

I was going to put that link this morning then I heard this local news. ( I don't know how to add a link on this device)

So sad .

"The dogs are fantastic ... it's just one of those things that can happen," he said.

This is the attitude (acceptance) I have problems with. Any dog can bite a newborn baby. The parents are responsible and should have kept their baby safe. Dogs (no matter how wonderful) should not be with newborn babies.

Yup. This situation should have never happened. But I dont know the full story, maybe the dog broke through a barrier or some thing.

You know, I saw the heading of the thread and I immediately thought 'Siberian Husky I bet'. Well I was fairly close with it being a Malamute.

The reason I thought this? The statistics on arctic breeds with Neonates is not that good. It is THE biggest issue with them in relation to children.

Neonatal children (young babies) set off prey drive quite strongly in Arctic breeds such as Sibes and Mals.

Unfortunately deaths of small babies as a result of attacks by these breeds ('good dogs' owned by the family) is quite high and not that uncommon.

Anyone owning a Sibe or Mal etc (any dog, but stats show owners of these breeds need to be particularly careful) should be VERY careful having their dog around a young baby, and NEVER EVER leave them alone in the same room.

You know, I saw the heading of the thread and I immediately thought 'Siberian Husky I bet'. Well I was fairly close with it being a Malamute.

The reason I thought this? The statistics on arctic breeds with Neonates is not that good. It is THE biggest issue with them in relation to children.

Neonatal children (young babies) set off prey drive quite strongly in Arctic breeds such as Sibes and Mals.

Unfortunately deaths of small babies as a result of attacks by these breeds ('good dogs' owned by the family) is quite high and not that uncommon.

Anyone owning a Sibe or Mal etc (any dog, but stats show owners of these breeds need to be particularly careful) should be VERY careful having their dog around a young baby, and NEVER EVER leave them alone in the same room.

It is a terrible thing for a baby or child to be bitten by any dog :(

I would be interested in seeing these statistics you speak of. I am aware of some incidents in the UK but to brand these breeds as being anymore dangerous towards babies seems unwarranted in my opinion.

I know the 360 members in my Perth Husky group would be horrified to read of this incident, but would be equally surprised as Huskies are known of being great family dogs but saddened that such generalised comments are made about these breeds.

I do agree that no baby should be left unattended with ANY dog.

Very sad incident regardless :(

My first thought also. These breeds and neonatal babies are NOT a good combination without the usual sensible precautions.

Yonjuro you've had an almost identical attack by a Husky on a baby in your State. That one was fatal. Read about it here It seems it takes these breeds a while to recognise that mewling critter as a human child. Once they do, they are fine with the usual precautions for any dog. Your group could be a great resource for teaching people about the need to be vigillant during a baby's first months in a house.

Rather than taking it as an insult to your breed, LEARN about this and EDUCATE so that people are prepared, not surprised. It is a real and documented issue with your breed. The benchmark book Fatal Dog Attacks, by Karen Delise documents it. Google "husky neonatal baby attack" and read. No shortage of cases outside the UK and they all follow a predictable path... less than 4 month old infant, dog has access unsupervised.,

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Yes, even if someone's dog has never shown a hint of aggression towards humans, babies smell different, sound different & make different movements. All of which can trigger a totally different response from a dog.

The Mater Mothers Hospital in Brisbane makes excellent guidelines available to parents ... for before the baby comes home & afterwards. Like they have a CD of a baby crying. But still their leading guideline is 'NEVER (their capitals) leave a baby unsupervised with any dog'. They also provide a video.

There was an article in the European Journal of Pediatrics which did an extensive survey of dogs' biting infants & small children. Findings were that 70% were preventable. The major common factor was no adult supervising at the time.

http://brochures.mater.org.au/Home/Brochures/Mater-Mothers-Hospital/Dog-baby-and-you-bringing-your-baby-home.aspx

Edited by mita

I don't see the benefit in any way to giving a dog access to a new born. I think it makes the owners/parents feel sentimental and think the dog and baby will become BFFs - there absolutely no reason to give a dog access to a newborn IMO.

Edited by huski

Gosh, so much common sense seems to fly out the window. How the hell is a dog expected to know its a human baby and how to act around it? Parenting is not even instinctual for all humans so why do we assume that dogs can do better? And a dog might be great with an older school aged child but that doesn't mean it can translate those skills and knowledge to how to behave with a toddler hanging off them or a wriggling baby lying on a bouncer. Why must us humans continually put them in situations where they can potentially fail so horribly?

I just saw what Huski said and that is so true. Dogs don't rule the roost and survive quite happily having rules that enforce things that are out of bounds (like new born babies). We want them to be friends for our own selfish needs and conveniences.

Edited by Little Gifts

Fatal attacks by any breed are statistically rare. But where breeds like Huskies etc show up, it is largely in relation to neonates.

It is not specifically the number of deaths, but the type. Bottom line - these Arctic breeds can have a problem when it comes to neonates (which they do not recognise as being 'people') and owners of these breeds should be aware of it and take it into account when managing their dogs.

This does not make them 'bad dogs' or a horrible breed. It is a factor of the breeds nature that simply needs to be taken into account.

http://blog.dogsbite.org/2010/02/2010-fatality-11-day-old-baby-killed-by.html

http://www.dogsbite.org/dogsbite-search-results.php?cx=003395341087663039786%3Aze_5rreyew4&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&q=husky&sa.x=0&sa.y=0

I actually think the comments by the neighbor are quite helpful. So often people think that there are two kinds of dogs, 'good' dogs and 'bad' dogs, and only the latter will ever be a threat.

The neighbour said these dogs are good dogs, probably because they are. I think it reinforces the reality, which is that ANY dog can bite.

Also, as anyone who has been interviewed by a journalist can attest, they ask you lots of questions, and then just feature a couple of quotes. So you can't assume that he has no sympathy for what occurred, they probably just didn't include those particular quotes.

I feel terrible for the baby and her parents, who without a doubt never intended for such a terrible thing to happen.

Bottom line - these Arctic breeds can have a problem when it comes to neonates (which they do not recognise as being 'people') and owners of these breeds should be aware of it and take it into account when managing their dogs.

There may be evidence that 'not recognizing babies as 'people' is pronounced in Arctic breeds.

But 'not recognizing babies as people' goes across the dog population, because of what the unique sounds, smells & movements trigger in some dogs. So, while not arguing with your point, common guidelines should be followed in respect to generally managing dogs in households with a baby. Especially given that people can be lulled into a false sense of security because their dog has been totally trustworthy with humans so far. They need to be strongly made aware that 'baby' signals can be like a small, strange animal of prey.

My first thought also. These breeds and neonatal babies are NOT a good combination without the usual sensible precautions.

Yonjuro you've had an almost identical attack by a Husky on a baby in your State. That one was fatal. Read about it here It seems it takes these breeds a while to recognise that mewling critter as a human child. Once they do, they are fine with the usual precautions for any dog. Your group could be a great resource for teaching people about the need to be vigillant during a baby's first months in a house.

Rather than taking it as an insult to your breed, LEARN about this and EDUCATE so that people are prepared, not surprised. It is a real and documented issue with your breed. The benchmark book Fatal Dog Attacks, by Karen Delise documents it. Google "husky neonatal baby attack" and read. No shortage of cases outside the UK and they all follow a predictable path... less than 4 month old infant, dog has access unsupervised.,

I am another one that has noticed huskys to be the breed most connected with these stories. I really don't feel its there is any attack on the breed though in stating this.

Trying to blame any certain breed/type for attacks is part of the problem. It means people with other "low risk" breeds are less diligent...the baby in the UK was killed by a small terrier. ANY dog can hurt or kill a child. Supervision is key.

Trying to blame any certain breed/type for attacks is part of the problem. It means people with other "low risk" breeds are less diligent...the baby in the UK was killed by a small terrier. ANY dog can hurt or kill a child. Supervision is key.

Have to say I agree.

I get this a lot with the Samoyeds. People have heard that they're 'safe' with children and the things they allow their dogs and children do together makes my blood run cold sometimes.

In the end they're a dog, a primitive one no less but because people feel that they're in the safe category they're not as vigilant. We really need to instil in puppy buyers that any dog can and will harm a child if the circumstances are right and no breed is automatically 'safe'.

Have to say I agree.

I get this a lot with the Samoyeds. People have heard that they're 'safe' with children and the things they allow their dogs and children do together makes my blood run cold sometimes.

In the end they're a dog, a primitive one no less but because people feel that they're in the safe category they're not as vigilant. We really need to instil in puppy buyers that any dog can and will harm a child if the circumstances are right and no breed is automatically 'safe'.

Often on Facebook you see pictures of babies snuggled up with the family pet and the parents think it's so cute. The other day I saw a photo of a toddler taking food out of a dog's bowl while it was eating. Again parents thought it was cute but what makes it worse is that those parents were involved with rescue and the dog was a foster dog. :eek:

Yeah I often see pictures that make me anxious, babies taking food off dogs or up right in their faces :/ I love and trust my dogs but they will NEVER be left alone with a baby. We're already stocking up on play pens and baby gates etc :laugh:

Edited by Dame Aussie