7 Day Old Baby Bitten By Family Dog

Scottsmum

My parents own a lovely, sooky, cuddly Alaskan Malamute.

There are no young children or babies in our family, so he has not had much interaction with them (he was a rehome, so not sure of his previous situation) therefore, my parents make sure that if there are children around, he is closely supervised, or removed from the vicinity if he can't be constantly watched.

It is horrifying when we are all out together with our dogs (our great dane and greyhound, and the malamute) the amount of parents that allow their children to approach our "big doggies" and the "cuddly bear". The dogs are all good natured and placid, never had an incident thankfully, but you never know, especially with toddlers. Often when we speak to the parents and suggest it's a good idea to check if the dogs are friendly, they reply that they have a dog/the kids love dogs/the dogs look friendly. This, to me, shows that even other dog owners are not always savvy in dog behaviour/reactions (not that I am an expert, but I prefer to err on the side of caution)so I can see how the couple in this case may have thought that there was nothing to worry about with the baby in a bassinet in their room.

I feel for them :(

Edited by Flashsmum

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arctic breeds are virtually not reported when it comes to serious attacks on people over 2 or 3 years old, but over represented in attacks below this age.

Bears out that particular research finding that the husky breed came out in the least aggressive to humans group. (But as the researchers noted, there's still variation within the breed, as for any breed.)

But babies & tiny children send out totally different signals. So different stimulus to dog.

Which is why, generally, across all dogs, the babies & small children are the highest 'at risk' group.

Do you have a reference for the arctic breeds being over- represented in serious attacks on them? Or has it been your impression from media accounts?

It'd be good if there were stats like that, to show how people can't predict what their dog might do around babies/tiny children .... based on, genuinely, how trustworthy it's always been around humans. Whatever the breed or mix.

I think this might be the fatal flaw for many people .... not realizing that there can be a difference.

Google Karen Delise and Fatal Dog Attacks.

Sadly I know one work colleague is now looking to rehome her 6mo Husky (undesexed male) because she is having a baby in six weeks and didn't know her snow dog fluffy puppy could attack the baby. She might see reason but her whole family including hubby says the puppy has to go :(

Sadly I know one work colleague is now looking to rehome her 6mo Husky (undesexed male) because she is having a baby in six weeks and didn't know her snow dog fluffy puppy could attack the baby. She might see reason but her whole family including hubby says the puppy has to go :(

That's just silly :(

That's just silly :(

Yeah, it's kinda silly......but you know, if that's what they think, the dog is probably better off in a new home. If it stayed it's whole worl would be tipped arse up anyway.....

Arctic breeds are virtually not reported when it comes to serious attacks on people over 2 or 3 years old, but over represented in attacks below this age.

Bears out that particular research finding that the husky breed came out in the least aggressive to humans group. (But as the researchers noted, there's still variation within the breed, as for any breed.)

But babies & tiny children send out totally different signals. So different stimulus to dog.

Which is why, generally, across all dogs, the babies & small children are the highest 'at risk' group.

Do you have a reference for the arctic breeds being over- represented in serious attacks on them? Or has it been your impression from media accounts?

It'd be good if there were stats like that, to show how people can't predict what their dog might do around babies/tiny children .... based on, genuinely, how trustworthy it's always been around humans. Whatever the breed or mix.

I think this might be the fatal flaw for many people .... not realizing that there can be a difference.

Google Karen Delise and Fatal Dog Attacks.

I have a copy of this book for sale if anyone is interested. Well worth a look.

sigh... it wasn't even a Husky FFS. :mad

"Every dog deserves a home but not every home deserves a dog".

The rescues are full of Huskies and Mallies, because foolish people want these beautiful majestic dogs but they fail to do any research and or training and they get dumped. Our group raised another $800 for Husky Rescue WA on the weekend but I don't think $8000 will be enough due to all this sensationalism :(

Some idiot in the park this morning said my dog is the same kind that bit the babies face! :mad

Some idiot in the park this morning said my dog is the same kind that bit the babies face! :mad

That's so frustrating! I think the appropriate reaction should be that people rethink how they will manage their dog and baby, and make appropriate plans like screens and gates. Not just all go crazy on Arctic breeds.

That's so frustrating! I think the appropriate reaction should be that people rethink how they will manage their dog and baby, and make appropriate plans like screens and gates. Not just all go crazy on Arctic breeds.

Thanks Jemmy :)

So sad, poor baby and family.

I can understand people making the mistake of assuming their dog is fine with a baby and know many who have said the same to me.

I point out that my dogs all adore babies to point of being very protective of them, but I won't leave the dogs with free access unless I'm right there to watch.Because how does a dog carry its own young? No matter how good they seem, they are dogs and think like dogs.

I use a screen door here, means the cats and dog can't get in. Since moving its done off the 2 year olds room but will be going on the babies room.

Cats are locked up at night but kaos has run of the house. Once 2 year old is in a real bed I'll have to rethink it as I know the dog will want to hop in.

I love my pets, I would never trust them with a child

I've seen so many Huskys in the rescue section, which to me is always an indicator that a breed has traits that can be difficult to live with, especially for an inexperienced owner.

It is sad that people will give away their dogs when they start a family though. I can't see why, with some careful management in the early years, that dogs can't stay with their families. Not that much changed for my girl when I had my daughter. You just have to use common sense.

I've seen so many Huskys in the rescue section, which to me is always an indicator that a breed has traits that can be difficult to live with, especially for an inexperienced owner.

It is sad that people will give away their dogs when they start a family though. I can't see why, with some careful management in the early years, that dogs can't stay with their families. Not that much changed for my girl when I had my daughter. You just have to use common sense.

I would rather they gave the dogs away than toss them outside and ignore them!

I can 100% see why people give their dogs away when a baby comes into their lives.

I can't... It was never a consideration when my daughter was born. If you get a dog you are responsible for its life for the next 12-15 years. If you think there is a slight chance in that time that you will have a baby and can't have them live under the same roof then DONT GET THE DOG.

It is all about responsibility and few people take the responsibility of dog ownership seriously.

I can 100% see why people give their dogs away when a baby comes into their lives.

I can't... It was never a consideration when my daughter was born. If you get a dog you are responsible for its life for the next 12-15 years. If you think there is a slight chance in that time that you will have a baby and can't have them live under the same roof then DONT GET THE DOG.

It is all about responsibility and few people take the responsibility of dog ownership seriously.

I totally agree and one of the first questions I ask my puppy people is, are you planning to have children and if you are how do you plan to deal with a puppy and a baby?

There is no way in hell I will sell one of my puppies to someone who believes a dog is disposable.

Easy to say but life changes all the time, sometimes something unexpected happens. I have a lovely friend who's daughter was born with huge complications and she simply did not have time to manage dog, baby and herself to the standard everyone needed. She didn't see it coming a year ago, nor 5 years ago. Dog lives quite happily with her parents now. I don't judge those who can't do it at all, how can you prepare for such changes when you don't know what they will bring? People get sick, lose jobs and houses and sometimes just can't hope. Do we judge them? I only judge those that don't look out for the dog when things change. She handled it amazingly and dog is happy, well loved and cared for. That is all I care about.