Winter Litters

jackofhearts

Hi, I have a litter of Jacks due mid July and was after other breeders opinions re best heating as we live in Tassy and it was -4degrees the other night.Puppies will be in the house but preferrably in our laundry area as we have other dogs inside and would like to keep mum and pups separated in a nice quiet area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. At present our laundry area is not heated but am trying to decide the best options eg heated whelping box or heater for the room:)

Edited by jackofhearts

I actually set up the whelping box in the living room surrounded by a LARGE playpen (initially so I could sleep next to the whelping box) and hung sheets and blankets so there was no visual contact between Em and my other dog/cats. She was incredibly protective so this worked really well. It's been freezing up here but the central heating has been just wonderful. As pups got older and Mum didn't want to stay with them much and we wanted to turn the heating down at night I put a snuggle safe in their (open) crate.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Thanks for that , i have been researching on the internet and found a heated whelping box in the USA called Dura Whelp. They have a heating system that attaches to the box. Not sure if they will send to Australia but I will email them :)

I put the box in an enclosure as well and use an oil filled radiator that I can put close to the box without any risk and blankets etc draped round the pen to keep out the draft. You can make the laundry more cosy by putting towels along the bottom of the outside doors to stop the cold air coming in. Use as small a box as you can to keep the family together.

Remember that tiny puppies will be noisy if they are cold -they do not shout when they are hungry until much older - so listen out for them telling you that the temperature is not right. Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Doglady0419

I have mine in one of the spare bedrooms with an electric oil filled radiator heater with the temperature set so mum doesn't overheat....

Very economical and efficient

Guest Doglady0419

No I haven't

Although none of my dogs can touch the oil heater....

My set-up is designed for their comfort and protection

Having a tiny breed I put a folded quilt on the floor & then place a cardboard box on it, cut an entry hole for mum & drape a blanket over the box to make a cave/den. No use for big breeds though.

I also use the microwave heat pads, put in the corner the pups automatically move towards it if cold. Got them online for only $50 including delivery. They stay warm for about 8 hours. So scared of anything chewing wires & the small heated pet bed/pads are fairly useless.