Starting Puppy School A Day After A Vaccination

rylst

Hi all! I intend to attend puppy school with my 10 week old Samoyed at a nearby pet shop. However, classes start next saturday, which is only a day after his second vaccination scheduled next friday. I am worried that my pup's health will be more vulnerable at that point in time. The staff told me that it will be alright, but I hope to get a second opinion on this.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all! I intend to attend puppy school with my 10 week old Samoyed at a nearby pet shop. However, classes start next saturday, which is only a day after his second vaccination scheduled next friday. I am worried that my pup's health will be more vulnerable at that point in time. The staff told me that it will be alright, but I hope to get a second opinion on this.

Thanks in advance!

How is the puppy class area cleaned? Does the shop sell pups?

What you've got in a pet shop is steady traffic from dog owners. Some them will own dogs that are not vaccinated or that visit high risk areas.

If the class area is not cleaned with a really high quality disinfectant that can handle things like parvo, I'd be giving it a miss.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Thanks for the response guys! They don't sell puppies, it's actually at a local Petstock which is convenient for me. I guess I'll probably look elsewhere than take the risk then. Cheers!

Every pet SUPPLY store i have run classes in has used very low traffic areas to conduct puppy school in and disinfected the area. Whilst of course not eliminating the risk, it does reduce it. Are you in an area that has a high incidence of parvo virus? This would influence my decision far more.

I'm located in Carlton, not too sure about the parvo situation here yet, will check with the vet next week. I'm also worried if it's too soon for my pup to be out when his immune system is down, as he'll only be vaccinated the day before the class. Any opinions on that? Thanks again guys.

I took my puppy to my favourite vet.

They held the puppy classes after clinic was closed so there wasn't anyone else coming in and they held it in the front area which was cleaned and disinfected.

And my puppy was in the middle of her three vax boosters ie she got the last two at that vet, including one after puppy class.

There is a risk but I'm sure if the vet had a dog in there with suspected parvo or anything else we vaccinate for - he would have cancelled the class or done an extra thorough scrub down. And being at the vet - bonus - if any of the puppy pre-schoolers look sick - he's right there to check up and isolate - but that didn't happen in our class.

I learned a lot, puppy learned a bit. There was only four puppies and usually two vet staff supervising. No fights tho we were told how to break up fights before we let the puppies greet each other.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again. Just an update for future reference, the vet was alright with us attending puppy class the next day. We were a little hesitant still, but we've signed up for the class which was postponed to a later date fortunately. Thanks for all your input once again, can't wait for classes to start next week. :)

rylst

I do love an update thank you.

Hope you have a great time at puppy preschool. And remember to ask lots of questions especially if you think something is wrong or you're missing something that seems "obvious" ie ask the "stupid questions" - everyone else will be grateful.

And if you and your puppy love it, let them know that too. :)