Dog Crates In The News: Guardian Article

dogbesotted

I agree. If I had dogs that had to be kept in crates due to fighting or the like, I'd rehome one.

It's not exactly as simple as that sometimes... rehoming wasn't an option for me... my choices were euthanaise or use separation methods. Separation methods include the use of a crate at times, and it works just fine for me and my dogs - everyone gets their share of one-on-one time with me, and those that can run together do so on a rotating basis. It might seem like a lot of hard work, but once the routine is in place, everyone benefits.

T.

agree..rehoming is not always an option and management is.. i spent 6 years managing my guys.. on property so had the options of separated smallish paddocks around the house..but had pens in the shed for when i was out

H

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dog is crated at night (I still don't quite trust him inside overnight). And if he comes inside with wet & dirty feet he goes in the crate to dry off a bit. He also gets fed either in there or in his outside run. During the day if we have to go somewhere that's not dog-friendly he'll go in his run so he can't rearrange the horses' rugs (i.e. drag them all over the place).

Im not trying to be smart either but Ive house trained a hell of a lot of puppies and never used crates. It's not something I want to do to my dogs and personally think the whole toilet training a puppy with crate training makes it harder not easier. Its just a different method of choosing to do things which suits me and my dogs.

Yep same here and would NEVER do it without a crate again. Anyone who is friends with me on FB would see hundreds of photos of my dogs sleeping on the lounge. I work 10 hour days from home and those hours are spent, generally, staring at a computer or on the phone. Sadly this doesn't leave me time to supervise baby puppies in the house HOWEVER if they start whinging I immediately recognise that they need to go out to the toilet and out they go. They then spend a few hours outside until they or I decide that it might be a nice time to come inside and in they come. Generally speaking they are completely trustworthy in the house at night by around 3 months of age and are then allow to just hang out HOWEVER I have a gorgeous 8 year old BITCH who would destroy my couch as soon as look at it because she is a bitch. I think this is like the argument between feeding raw and feeding processed food. We should all do what works for us and our families and stop criticising the shit out of those who do it differently to us.