Ankc Rule Changes For Agility

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh I didn't notice the one about the up contact - yay!

No weaves in Open Jumping anymore

Interesting about the weaves - makes it easier to run a less experienced dog in Open as a training run and is a nice option as dogs get older and I don't want them doing weaves as much.

New rules are up on the ANKC site. Haven't had a thorough look, but the table has gone.

Table has gone.

See Saw is getting bigger.

More Q's needed for Novice and Excellent titles.

They were the big ticket items for me. Others seem to be concerned about the games being judged as one height class, but meh.....I won't be having to worry about that for a little bit. ;)

It seems that the number of Q's required for titles in the Games will remain as is. It has just changed for agility & jumping.

New Agility Rules

New Games Rules

Edited by sheena

Also makes it more expensive for city competitors. Think its stupid having to get extra novice passes. Most dogs are either more then ready for novice and in which case making them get 5 quallies is pointless or they struggle as it is.

I also found it odd that the games classes remained the same and the agility and jumping classes changed.

Edited by ness

The table was always a place where novice dogs stuffed up along with weaves & contacts...so taking the table out & increasing the number of Q's required will probably almost equal out. I know with my own dogs...we seemed to take ages to get out of novice with only one fault all the time. I quite liked the table as a discipline for novice dogs. I didn't like seeing it in Masters or Games though....too much of a variable with the judges count. Taking the weaves out of Open Jumping will make getting JDO easier, though the SCT will probably be less.

I was an early fan of extra Novice passes with my now 6 yo - she wasn't ready for excellent. She ended up getting 5 passes in JD anyway just by virtue of extra JD runs and the packed autumn trial run we have here.

With my speedy youngster - the awful angles he was expected to deal with as part of the novice speed circle courses, added to metal uprights, no wings and sharp metal jump ups - I couldn't get the hell out of novice quick enough! :eek::mad

I will be interested to see if the separate height trials cut down on the number of trials offering the crazy numbers of extra novice and masters runs. :crazy:

I've heard the thing about more qualies for novice and I thought it was a good idea. Quite a few people found that they were way out of their depth with the Excellent level. And could have done with more practice at the novice level.

Experienced trainers are less likely to have this problem and will only take a few double trials to get through but beginners new to agility - they're the ones that need a bit of extra time in novice level.

Would have preferred to see the addition of a 'starters' type class in Novice rather than extra passes - agree with you Jess about wanting to get the hell out of Novice especially with all the judges here who have little concept of safety and have never run fast dogs. Could have used the same Novice course but maybe a couple of passes at 'Starters' level for those who have never titled a dog before while the more experienced competitors could have just started in Novice with the same 3 quallies.

That way those who trial before they are ready would have to stay longer before moving to Excellent (and I believe that's why the rule change was proposed) as those of us more experienced usually wait longer to put our new dogs out as we expect more from them and are happy to wait until they are ready for the next level up at least before entering. And I actually dislike the assumption that Novice is 'easy' which also seemed to be mentioned a lot with the rationale for the rule change. There are many brilliant dogs that spend a long time in Novice as they are not run around the course just to get the qually but are handled as they will be in Masters by trying things at trials to test your training or what I call big picture handling.

see the addition of a 'starters' type class in Novice

yes that seemed like the other good idea.

But the class I'd split up is "masters" because there are just so many people in that and so much variation in skill both dog and handler.

Some of the people who helped start up agility here - were completely overwhelmed by the new handling and training systems and pretty much quit competing tho only 10 years ago they won trophies.

I also thought it might be interesting to have a sort of handicap system where there is a sort of ratio worked out based on the winning dog time - for all the dogs that go clear... and anyone who has a significantly lower ratio (closer to the winning dog time) than they normally do (their average ratio) might win something for "personal best" performance. So they get some value out of competing against their own score / average.

Eg someone might normally be 2% slower than the fastest dog - and this time - they're only half a percent slower... which is much better than their normal rating...

I would have like to see some evening out of the "heights" so that there are not as many dogs concentrated in the 500 category. IE put some into 400 & some into 600. Even maybe some of the 400 into 300.

I would have like to see some evening out of the "heights" so that there are not as many dogs concentrated in the 500 category. IE put some into 400 & some into 600. Even maybe some of the 400 into 300.

That is a really good point! Especially now with designated separate heights :) A friend and I were thinking along the same lines :)

That is a really good point! Especially now with designated separate heights :) A friend and I were thinking along the same lines :)

There are just tooooooo many dogs in 500. It is so hard to win a place...whereas if you have a 300 or 600 dog,if you get a clear round, you are most likely to win a prize....in the country anyway :)

It is the 200 height group that needs fixing with the numbers IMO, so very few in there. Numbers in 300 and 600 are growing. But yes there are so many more in 500 than anywhere else. We are thinking of writing a proposal for the next rule change - if you have any ideas on how to split them up to make them more even (height cutoffs etc) feel free to say so :)

Edited by Kavik

While BCs and Kelpies dominate the sport you will always have a big 500 class. I'm not quite sure how you propose we change that? Other than running ABC comps here like they do in the UK :p

The key is encouraging other heights to compete (rather than discouraging them as we are currently doing). It still won't change the fact that due to their structure, work ethic, and original breeding purpose the working dogs will always dominate the sport. As they do everywhere in the world.

Edited by DeltaCharlie

While BCs and Kelpies dominate the sport you will always have a big 500 class. I'm not quite sure how you propose we change that? Other than running ABC comps here like they do in the UK :p

The key is encouraging other heights to compete (rather than discouraging them as we are currently doing). It still won't change the fact that due to their structure, work ethic, and original breeding purpose the working dogs will always dominate the sport. As they do everywhere in the world.

I think we could even out the numbers in different heights by changing the height cutoffs so that more end up in 400 and 600. Of course the most popular breeds will always be the most popular, but there is variation in height even among them (there are several tall Kelpies, including mine, already in 600 lol) , enough so that I think fiddling with the cutoffs would see some of those in a different height class. I think this would also help to make separate heights more fair, as of course the 500 height class has the hardest time with it, having the biggest numbers, and so it is much more difficult to place than in a less populated height class.

I am probably really going to miss the 600 class when I start entering Nitro who is 500 :laugh:

Edited by Kavik

Or get a BC that measures into the 600's. ;) I didn't see that one coming. LOL.