Pet Industry Peak Body In Turmoil After Consumers Misled

_PL_

http://www.smh.com.au/national/pet-industry-peak-body-in-turmoil-after-consumers-misled-about-puppy-farm-20150628-ghx5g2

When this $2300 puppy collapsed nine days after being bought from a pet store in Perth, his heartbroken family began asking questions.

The store owners said the dog came from a "reputable" breeder. Two scrawled words on a scrap of paper have since proven otherwise.

Prior to melting hearts in a shop window, "Torro" had an arduous 4000-kilometre journey from a NSW property where breeding dogs and cats are kept in stacked cages. Their sole purpose is to produce never ending litters of animals for profit.

Edited by Powerlegs

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mentioned this very issue just today in the thread about cat and dog laws in SA. The PIAA member stores can quite legitimately tell puppy buyers that their puppies are sourced from 'registered breeders'. They actually encourage their member stores to source their pups from legal, registered, accredited, large scale breeding operations. Accredited by whom? Oh, that's right, The PIAA.

It seems there needs to be a bit more policing.

Just on a personal level, I refuse to attend or compete at grooming competitions that are sponsored by the PIAA (which is most of them). I have told my fellow groomers time and time again that supporting the PIAA in any approximation is supporting puppy farming.....the one thing groomers universally decry....... but obviously the egos and ribbons are worth more than taking a little stand against commercial scale dog breeding. :banghead:

I still struggle to understand with all the publicity surrounding puppy mills etc. how so many people continue to believe any reputable breeder is going to let their puppies go to a place where they are sold to the first customer with the money to buy one.

The other thing that sticks out from this story for me is that for $2300 the family could have purchased an incredibly well bred dog from an ANKC registered breeder. So sad and maddening that the general public are not informed enough and can be misled like this. :mad

Edited by blinkblink

The other thing that sticks out from this story for me is that for $2300 the family could have purchased an incredibly well bred dog from an ANKC registered breeder. So sad and maddening that the general public are not informed enough and can be misled like this. :mad

Yep. And the person who shows up with $$$ won't necessarily get one of my pups either. I've talked a few people out of buying my pups because I don't think they are suitable - I am 100% honest so people's expectations align with what the pup needs. Can't see that happening in a pet shop.

Some people are prepared to take the risk and not care about where it came from or how its bred -or even how much money they have to pay for it - they just want a puppy ,they don't want to have to go out of their way much or be questioned or have to wait. Supply and demand as always. The people who will buy a puppy from a pet shop are not the same consumers that will buy form a registered breeder. Different target market. So do we know what the puppy in the story died from? Was the pup sick from the minute they took it home?

Edited by Steve

I still struggle to understand with all the publicity surrounding puppy mills etc. how so many people continue to believe any reputable breeder is going to let their puppies go to a place where they are sold to the first customer with the money to buy one.

Because the thing these people are really good at is marketing themselves as what they are not, how many times have you seen websites proclaiming puppies live inside and by day wander through lush green paddocks and eat top quality, chef prepared meals when they're in cages, starving and eating newspaper and poo.

A lot of the large scale farms sell themselves really convincingly and if you want to believe, you will.

Reputable just means they are well thought of .So I suppose the pet shop could claim they only used them because they [the pet shop] thought well of them.

I suppose what I think of them or what someone else thinks of them wasnt qualified.Could be thousands of other puppy buyers who got puppies from them in the past too I suppose. If all they said was reputable its going to be hard to show false advertising

The peak industry body has had its head firmly shoved up its armpit if they "didn't know" about the standards of people who bred for the pet shop trade.

A quick analysis of the numbers of pups coming out of the one "supplier" would ring alarm bells on anyone with half a brain cell.

This is PR damage control... and damned cynical damage control at that.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Some people are prepared to take the risk and not care about where it came from or how its bred -or even how much money they have to pay for it - they just want a puppy ,they don't want to have to go out of their way much or be questioned or have to wait. Supply and demand as always. The people who will buy a puppy from a pet shop are not the same consumers that will buy form a registered breeder. Different target market. So do we know what the puppy in the story died from? Was the pup sick from the minute they took it home?

According to one news story, the pup died of pneumonia... and I'd assume that during the 9 days the new owners had it, they must have noticed something wasn't quite right...

I think there may be a little more to this story than we are being led to believe.

I'm not advocating puppy breeding on a mass scale for the pet shop market, nor am I advocating buying from pet shops... but I'm wondering how a pup dies from pneumonia NINE days after purchase. Surely if medical attention was sought earlier, this would not have had the outcome it did?

One of my own dogs managed to develop aspiration pneumonia after inhaling her food - she's a Lab, go figure - and she had an interesting cough develop that I saw a vet for asap... one week of high strength antibiotics later, and she was fine again. A pup with a cough or breathing issues should have been straight to the vet on day one... not later...

T.

I am not joining the PIAA train but the entire article that PIAA gave to the reporter was very different to the one page including the shop being terminated from PIAA for breaching guidelines and stores have been copping emails about following the guidelines ever since. I am no longer a member but there are always 3 sides to every story

There was a story about a frenchie bought from a pet store on The Project last night and yes it was a PIAA pet shop and they used the same spiel about not being able to police where pet stores really get their puppies from. In the story a dna test was done on the $4000 dog and it confirmed it wasn't pure bred. They also weren't provided with the relevant breed paperwork completed by the 'registered breeder' (I'm not sure what the forms were - might be a state thing?) and the pet shop wouldn't confirm who the 'registered breeder' was. They have been stripped of their PIAA membership. The other interesting thing is they said puppy mills deliberately like to transit their pups a long way from their operation to make it difficult to track them back to who bred them. Surely that in itself could be constituted as abuse when some of these pups are still too young to even be away from their mother's? The frenchie's owner was very distressed that she probably supported a puppy mill by buying that dog.

I hope we get more of these stories so people get to thinking about where these gorgeous little balls of fluff in shop windows are really coming from and see they are being very badly ripped off.

According to one news story, the pup died of pneumonia... and I'd assume that during the 9 days the new owners had it, they must have noticed something wasn't quite right...

I think there may be a little more to this story than we are being led to believe.

I'm not advocating puppy breeding on a mass scale for the pet shop market, nor am I advocating buying from pet shops... but I'm wondering how a pup dies from pneumonia NINE days after purchase. Surely if medical attention was sought earlier, this would not have had the outcome it did?

One of my own dogs managed to develop aspiration pneumonia after inhaling her food - she's a Lab, go figure - and she had an interesting cough develop that I saw a vet for asap... one week of high strength antibiotics later, and she was fine again. A pup with a cough or breathing issues should have been straight to the vet on day one... not later...

T.

Im like you and the photos are pretty horrible but the pup left the breeder 18 days before it was sick - cant see them pinning selling sick puppies on them.

[

T.

Sadly that isn't always the case. I lost my perfectly healthy 6yr old aussie to aspiration pneumonia and I can assure you she had the best vet care possible, it just wasn't enough. Pneumonia can be very deadly so you were very lucky.

There was a news story last night about a lady being arrested for (alleged) fraud for taking nearly $10K off two people who bought (imaginary) French bulldog puppies from her and never received them. Ie fraud.

I don't know how many different ways to say dumb here.

That the lady selling thought she was anonymous, that the buyers thought they would get what they paid for (and it was over $4K each). That the buyers did no research to verify they would get what they paid for or how you buy a good quality puppy..

http://www.cootamundraherald.com.au/story/3202272/puppy-fraud/

A woman from Cootamundra has been arrested and charged over two fraud offences committed by placing an online advertisement selling French Bulldog Puppies last month.

Yesterday, (Thursday, July 9), police from Cootamundra received a call from two separate victims claiming they had deposited an amount of money into the sellers bank account to purchase puppies but had not received the puppies.

The puppies were for sale between $4000 and $5500.

Local Police made a number of enquires and at about 4:10pm yesterday, a 25-year-old Cootamundra woman was arrested and taken back to Cootamundra Police Station.

The police investigation revealed that there were no puppies for sale and the woman had used the funds to purchase a second-hand car.

In total, it will be alleged the woman fraudulently obtained $9500.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket