Importing A New Breed To Australia

Auxesia

Howdy!

I'm interested in bringing the Berger Picard (Picardy Shepherd) to Australia. I am not on a hurry, probably within 5-10 years.

I'm also making this post incase anyone else has had the same idea, so we could bounce of one another!

What would be the best way to do this so I could breed from them?

Import 2 bitches and use AI from two different males?

I'm assuming it will be at least a 20k adventure?

Although the breed has few health issues, I'd want their hips cleared. Obviously, importing a puppy means that they might not get the best score. How do people who import dogs balance these decisions?

I would love any advice.

Many thanks. :)

I will be following this post as we will be looking to do the same thing in about 3-5 years, it's just a shame they are not the same breed. We have recently imported a Berger de Pyrenees (pyrenean shepherd) but we were lucky enough to source one from NZ (the first litter born in the southern hemisphere). He is on a non-breeding contract but we saw it as a great chance to get to know the breed and know for sure if we want to go ahead with importing from the UK in the future. Luckily for us, a stud dog has just been imported from the US so AI will not necessarily be needed. We were also lucky that there was 1 bitch here a few years ago (not anymore) so the breed had already been given ANKC registration, I'm guessing you would have to do all of that too?

Considering it costs approx $13K to import 1 medium sized dog from Europe Id double your costings.

Best of luck!

Perhaps have a chat to a few that have already done it with a new breed? (Wazzat Xolo springs to mind)

Also, wouldn't the breed need to be recognised by the ANKC to be able to legitimately breed from them? I don't know the answer, which is why I'm asking.

There is a process you go through to get ANKC recognition. I don't know the ins and outs of it but I think it is outlined on the website. As far as I know it is fairly straight-forward as long as the breed has KC registration elsewhere in the world and a standard to use as a template (or to simply adopt).

Also, wouldn't the breed need to be recognised by the ANKC to be able to legitimately breed from them? I don't know the answer, which is why I'm asking.

There is a process you go through to get ANKC recognition. I don't know the ins and outs of it but I think it is outlined on the website. As far as I know it is fairly straight-forward as long as the breed has KC registration elsewhere in the world and a standard to use as a template (or to simply adopt).

The breed must be recognised in its country of origin and by the Kennel Club that the ANKC recognises for that country.

I love the idea of new breeds being established here but if you are new to purebred dogs you need to proceed carefully and take advice ONLY from the ANKC. The right kind of pedigree must be provided with the dog, if the breed is not recognised that has to be done and it's not a short process.

Go straight to the horse's mouth and get ANKC advice. The next challenge will be getting a quality import. If you have no credentials in confromation or performance sport, my honest advice is to get those FIRST.

• 3 weeks later...

The breed must be recognised in its country of origin and by the Kennel Club that the ANKC recognises for that country.

I love the idea of new breeds being established here but if you are new to purebred dogs you need to proceed carefully and take advice ONLY from the ANKC. The right kind of pedigree must be provided with the dog, if the breed is not recognised that has to be done and it's not a short process.

Go straight to the horse's mouth and get ANKC advice. The next challenge will be getting a quality import. If you have no credentials in confromation or performance sport, my honest advice is to get those FIRST.

Its not hard don't let others tell you it is, and I had no credentials other than a good honest background and an ability to get things done! Its how you approach the situation and dot the Is and cross the Ts, happy to help in any way I can, having helped many others get New Breeds into the Country. The ANKC were very helpful and can help where needed, some rules have changed but people will still help, its just finding the right ones, feel free to email me on [email protected]

• 1 year later...