Eye Removal Options

This helped me when I was waiting for one of my Numpties eyelid to heal. I know when she is happy because she runs around without looking and a normal elizabethan collar wasn't keeping the stitches safe from her collisions which is what caused the initial eyelid laceration. There are times when I am tempted to put it back on her as she zooms around the house and yard.....

http://www.provizorinternational.com/the-optivizortrade.html

Edited by Jumabaar

My sister's little Shih Tzu had one of his eyes removed a couple of years ago due to a tumour behind the eye. He copes amazingly well. It did take some adjustment but, at 14 years old, he runs around like a puppy. It's amazing how well they can adapt. :)

This helped me when I was waiting for one of my Numpties eyelid to heal. I know when she is happy because she runs around without looking and a normal elizabethan collar wasn't keeping the stitches safe from her collisions which is what caused the initial eyelid laceration. There are times when I am tempted to put it back on her as she zooms around the house and yard..... http://www.provizorinternational.com/the-optivizortrade.html

Stormy, I bought a couple of these when Danny had one of his eyes operated on (his wasn't removal, just scraping). I found these didn't help with him because he could still rub and he had a protective lens in which was very easy to dislodge with rubbing.

So if you would like to give these a try, I'd be happy to send them to you. If they fit, they are so much better than Elizabethan collars.

Yeah we have never had much success with the visors either. Most dogs don't need to wear e-collars after eye removal.

The man sent me two sizes and charged me for only one which I thought was an exceptionally nice thing to do, but neither of them sat well on Danny and with the lens being so easy to dislodge, I just couldn't take the risk.

I think if it were just for wound protection, they might have been okay, so if stormy wants to give them a try, I am more than happy to send them :)

Recovery time is shorter with an eye removal (10-14 days), because its really just skin that needs to heal. The intra-ocular prosthetic takes about 3 weeks to fully heal. There have been cases where dogs develop nerve pain after an eye removal but its rare. As long as the dog is on good pain killers, I think it's much of a muchness. We usually give tramadol the night of surgery, and then for about a week afterwards.

Why does your dog need his eye removed?

Thanks *kirty*, I'm now definitely leaning towards the basic eye removal option. He's got retina detachment and had a few bleeds. If the bleeds continue then the eye will be removed fairly soon but at the moment he's not in any pain/discomfort.

Louis is another member of the pirate gang ;) His eye was removed after treatment for glaucoma stopped being effective after 18 months, removal was the best option in his case. I was amazed how well he recovered from the surgery and also how easily he has adapted. He can't catch treats like he used to as him aim is a bit off :laugh: but on the whole he does really well and has only bumped into a couple of things on his blind side. His interaction with the other dogs remains the same, and he still plays and wrestles with Poppy as before.

All the best for your boy Stormy :) I took daily recovery photos after the removal if you are interested to see what it was like post surgery?

Love my little pirate boy :heart:

IMAG0400.jpg

Yep, our boy has started to bump into things on his blind side and you can startle him if he doesn't see you coming. It's all very promising hearing the positive stories - I don't know anyone personally who's had to do this for their dog - Gotta love DOL :)

I'd be happy to see photos if you're happy to share, thanks :)

This helped me when I was waiting for one of my Numpties eyelid to heal. I know when she is happy because she runs around without looking and a normal elizabethan collar wasn't keeping the stitches safe from her collisions which is what caused the initial eyelid laceration. There are times when I am tempted to put it back on her as she zooms around the house and yard.....

http://www.provizorinternational.com/the-optivizortrade.html

Thanks Jumabaar - I don't know how well our boy would tolerate wearing that around his head, he's not keen on an eye patch either - he can be a difficult boy! :(

My sister's little Shih Tzu had one of his eyes removed a couple of years ago due to a tumour behind the eye. He copes amazingly well. It did take some adjustment but, at 14 years old, he runs around like a puppy. It's amazing how well they can adapt. :)

Thanks Ellie - love hearing the happy endings :thumbsup:

This helped me when I was waiting for one of my Numpties eyelid to heal. I know when she is happy because she runs around without looking and a normal elizabethan collar wasn't keeping the stitches safe from her collisions which is what caused the initial eyelid laceration. There are times when I am tempted to put it back on her as she zooms around the house and yard..... http://www.provizorinternational.com/the-optivizortrade.html

Stormy, I bought a couple of these when Danny had one of his eyes operated on (his wasn't removal, just scraping). I found these didn't help with him because he could still rub and he had a protective lens in which was very easy to dislodge with rubbing.

So if you would like to give these a try, I'd be happy to send them to you. If they fit, they are so much better than Elizabethan collars.

Thanks for the offer DDD - I think we'll try with the training first as I he either tends to freeze or freak out when things are placed on him (have I mentioned he's a delicate little petal :laugh: ). I'll keep it in mind though :)